Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
velamina

Brett Favre, please retire.

velamina
13 years ago

What do I have to do to get this man out of sight and out of mind? Truly, there is no practical way to get this man out of your homes, and I have teenage sons to boot. I'm being driven to a point of madness...

Comments (48)

• arthurm
    13 years ago

I had no idea who this guy was till i googled the name and selected images. Must say that Brett looks happy being Brett.

• velamina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Then I have to move my family to Australia. You see, he is very much like a NYC cockroach; they just don't die.

You don't have to be into sports, he shows up all over the news. He is at your local newspaper stand. Regular programming gets interrupted to give you his latest news. He is on every magazine front cover. He is everywhere, except for pre season training with his fellow 20 year old team mates.

There are people out there thanking whoever gave him his latest injury. He will probably have to sit out the rest of the season for elbow tendonitis, but he just won't retire.

• ntgerald
    13 years ago

Many of us here say the same thing for Manny Pacquiao.

• velamina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Is he a diva? I have to ask my neighbor how this phenomena in your neck of the woods compares.

I really had to vent, but honestly I don't know which is worse, him or the media, and I've contributed by writing about him. This is worse than a virus.

• cjwatson
    13 years ago

Who are Brett Favre and Manny Pacquiao?

• velamina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

CJ, did you ever see the movie "There's Something About Mary"? Brett appears towards the end. He's a quarterback for the Vikings, but if you're kidding I'll have whatever you're having :)

• ntgerald
    13 years ago

CJ, just go to wikipedia.

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

velamina,

c'mon, give Brett a break. he's jes' a po' ol' countree feller.

check out the link, courtesy of my local snoozepaper in yestiddy's edition.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brett Favre, sexty beast

• velamina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hilarious!! and "spacebook", I couldn't stop laughing. The first paragraph is priceless :)

I felt compelled to dig up this youtube captioned video. What could be more perfect than one of these to illustrate my sentiments about Brett Favre? Please, please, please for anyone who might be offended by foul language, don't watch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brett Favre Downfall Parody on Youtube

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

Sieg Heil ! verry funnny!!

--Stitzelweller--

• cjwatson
    13 years ago

Velamina, I did not see that movie. And I don't follow football, and I don't read the sports section of my newspaper, nor do I listen to sports news on TV. So I don't know who Favre is, and really don't care who he is since he certainly isn't elating me, or annoying me either.

To each his own.

• westoh Z6
    13 years ago

ntgerald,

Based upon what we hear in the States (albeit, most of it via the sports/boxing channels), I would have thought Manny was a hero of sorts over in the Phillipines. What with the political aspirations and all.

I would have to guess our press is painting him in better picture than his actuial real life implies.

Bob

• velamina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

CJ, what motivated you to post on this thread?

• ntgerald
    13 years ago

@westoh,

These are my opinions.

I think he should have retired as boxer last year. Age.

I think people who aspire to be (high) public officials should have a minimum of education and training. I don't belittle the boxing profession as training for the job of congressman, but please....

• ntgerald
    13 years ago

For example, one senator, who used to be a movie actor, has introduced this bill in the senate: An act to limit the weight of school bags of grade school children (or something like that).

Brilliant, isn't it. And yet, they get elected.
    From one blog: The problem with political jokes is they get elected.

Here is a link that might be useful: photos of my plants

• velamina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I only know of Manny through what you have mentioned here, but I'm not sure how it compares to the Brett phenomenon.

We've had quite a few memorable actors who have continued on to politics; qualified or not. You have Clint Eastwood who is an absolute icon, and he continues to grow; an absolute master.

It's really a personality thing, and everyone is capitalizing. "Not going gently into that goodnight?" I get it, but there's much to be said about dignity in the public eye. Please play or please leave. Until then, all I can do is make light of a situation that has many of us Americans annoyed.

• westoh Z6
    13 years ago

velamina,

The Pacquiao and Mayweather boxing thing (will they, won't they, who cares!!!) has been going on about as long as Brett has been thinking about retiring. Now if Brett were to run for governor of LA after he retires, then it may compare to more closely to Pacquiao. In the US Manny just doesn't get the everyday press that Brett gets, only when the Mayweather fight thing comes up. I can imagine that it is the opposite in Manny's/ntgerald's home country of the Phillipines.

Bob

• velamina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Favre as a politician, well that takes things to a different level. Right now his work ethic is questionable at best, but politics is a subject I shy away from. What's scary about this concept is that he just doesn't care.

Manny you're in good company because there is only so much the public can take, so we commiserate. Right now I'm thankful to read articles as humorous as the one Stitz posted; it makes many of us realize we are not insane.

• velamina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So sorry, I meant to address you Ntgerald and I started the sentence saying Manny.

• arthurm
    13 years ago

Actually, there is no escape anywhere, go to the Southern Parts of Australia and you will reach peak madness over a peculiar football game played no where else on the globe. The only bit of saneness is that they do not have a "world series".

So and so's groin strain (groiny!!!) is peak news on the TV and Newspapers....but there are some that are putting up a bit of a fight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anti Football League

• velamina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Afl? I love it, especially the menacing act of not broadcasting the game at the one bar. I didn't get the symbol of the pin, the hand coming out of the box? But it's 'people doing something about something'.

I'm not anti-football, but at this point in time I pray for off season. And even then, there's this: "......he likes to be on TV."

• orrin_h
    13 years ago

If he retires from football, he'll just become a commentator on the highlight shows. You might end up seeing even more of him then....

-O-

• velamina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Orrin if that happened, at the very least he would be doing something that is "age appropriate". Right now all we can do is watch this very slow and prolonged agonizing death. This is like a bad accident, we can't help but watch.

I would say commentator makes perfect sense, but I'd rather see him on a soap opera...

• velamina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You can't say that what is going on with him now wasn't predictable. This might all be going away very soon, but haven't we said that before??

Admittedly, I felt a wee bit of compassion for him after last night's game. My rant is done :)

Basketball season starts tomorrow, and now I am left with the daunting task of rallying for every team that is NOT Miami Heat :)

• westoh Z6
    13 years ago

As an Ohioan who enjoyed watching LeBron play, I'll cheer against the Heat but still enjoy watching LeBron. From what I've seen, the Heat will be represented in about 1/3 of the televised games, so it is almost as much coverage as I got from the local FOX Sports affiliates the last couple of years.

I got as tired/PO'ed watching LeBron/The Decision (pretty full of himself IMO) a few months back as I do with Brett and his is he/isn't he retiring 'dilema' every summer.

Bob

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

y'all in O-Hi-O and in Miami,

need to learn more about the new addition to the Washington Bullets (aka Wizards).

JOHN WALL is the new superhero!

[will the team name revert back to the BULLETS?]

:)

--Stitz--

• velamina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bob, I posted the link to "The Decision" parody with Steve Carell if you didn't see the 2010 ESPY. I don't know how they manage to keep a straight face through the entire skit.

Great game tonight, this season should be interesting :)

My son LOVES John Wall!

Here is a link that might be useful: ESPY 2010

• westoh Z6
    13 years ago

OK game last night(Boston/Miami), typical early season form though.

--Stitz-- Hopefully Wall won't get shot in the locker room ;-)

In actuality, I dislike the Lakers as much or more than the Heat. Always have, always will...

Bob

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

Bob, Gil Arenas is not expected to start the opening game. Whether this will bother him enough to "get out the guns"? I dunno. As we all know, Gil is a highly unpredictable character.

"Bullets", was the original team name from Baltimore. Abe Pollin, the long-time owner who recently died, was deeply hurt by the murder of a close friend. That is why he decided to change the team name to the "Wizards".

Abe is dead; a new owner is established. He is seriously thinking about returning the team name to the "BULLETS".

--Stitz--

• westoh Z6
    13 years ago

After Gilbert's escapade last year, 'Bullets' very well may be appropriate ;-)

Bob

• velamina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I hope they remain "The Wizards". As for the incident, there should never have been an "issue". Lives were threatened.

Good luck John Wall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

velamina,

In respect of your existing post re: Brett Favre, I created a new thread to continue on and on and on re: John Wall and the Bullets/Wizards.

Let's ramble (rumble)!

--Stitz--

• velamina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Haha Stitz, np here. Sensitive to that issue, this is after all professional basketball. I'm a sports enthusiast by accident so I'll let the others "speculate away" on your thread.

Talk about speculation, Carmelo Anthony? I know I know, that would be too good to be true :)

• velamina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am praying for a Vikings-Giants game.

• velamina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Arthur I read the article you posted on the John Wall thread. Well let's face it, playing pro football is either a choice (although most are destined) and they are compensated well for this. I think what generates sympathy for some of us is when a players character shines through enough for us to care.

Now, the the giants have knocked out 5 quarter backs this season. If they KO'ed Favre it couldn't be soon enough, and now I will have to go to church on Sunday.

Last week we had to endure press conferences and medical charts about Favre's ankle and the speculation the entire week as to whether he would play on Sunday. This Sunday he was carted off the field because of an injury to his chin, and we will probably have to endure it all again this week.

Golf is starting to look good....

• velamina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My church comment was meant for "forgiveness" just in case there was misinterpretation. As annoying as Favre is there are much more important things to pray/hope/wish for.

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

297, no mo'
    the streak is dead; give him credit. Favre is an NFL version of Cal Ripken, Jr.

Ripken holds the "record" of consecutive games played (2,632) over a 17 year period while playing the ENTIRE time for the same Major League Baseball team, Baltimore Orioles, for the all-time streak in professionial American sports.

--Stitz--

• velamina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We were hungry for that Vikings/Giants OMG! We planned our day around that game; big disappointment, but happy the Giants won :)

Credit is due, but we're happier to give it now that it.....looks like he's gone. I literally had to change the channel while he was slumped over in his chair giving his usual speech.

As for longevity, I just think the kid is charmed and loves the camera; a lot more talent out there, but that's my 2c.

• velamina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oops, Brett vs. Giants haha

• westoh Z6
    13 years ago

Man, I'm starting to get tired of seeing the old feller get knocked down, HARD! Only a few more games left for him, IMO though. I really don't think he'll be back next year... I think he'll announce it very shortly after the season ends.

Bob

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

Too old, too old
    He's too old to cut the mustard anymore
    He's gettin' too old. He's done got too old
    He's to old to cut the mustard anymore

When I was young I had a lot of pep
    I could get around didn't need no help
    But now you're old and gettin' gray
    The people all look at you and say

Too old, too old
    He's gettin' too old. He's done got too old

I used to jump just like a deer
    But now you need a new landing gear
    I used to jump a picket fence
    But now you're lucky if you jump an inch

Too old, too old
    He�s too old to cut the mustard anymore
    He�s gettin' too old. He's done got too old

When I was young I had an automobile
    But now they push you around in a chair with wheels
    I had to fight the girls off with a stick
    But now they say he makes me sick

Too old, too old
    He's getting too old. He's done got too old

When I was young and in my prime
    The gals all use to stand in line
    But now they go the other way
    And as they leave I hear them say

Too old, too old
    He�s getting too old. He's done got too old

He's too old to cut the mustard anymore.
    ----------------------------------------
    I first heard this song about 40 years ago. I'm still spry! Check out the link!

--Stitz--

Here is a link that might be useful: Too Old to Cut the Mustard Anymore

• arthurm
    13 years ago

Do not know about being Spry? Did not know what my post was about indeed?

Actually, the guy in question is a bit of a marvel. 41 and still playing. Those big big guys are no longer all that slow in any of those football codes where you have to break through a line.

It is amazing that he is still in one piece because in similar break the line codes here they have all retired from top level by age 35.

• velamina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I must say I've been too busy barefoot and in the kitchen these days to even think of yours truly, but I am happy to say I have one more thing to distract me from this saga and it's the KNICKS!

I feel like a proud mom (sniff).

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

nothing matters any longer - the Redskins are a joke.

--Stitz--

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

yes, sports fans.
    Brett retired once more a couple of days ago.

After Favre's 2010 poor performance, I hope that he has enuff sense to make this latest retirement "stick" !

• westoh Z6
    13 years ago

The streak is already broken, nothing to come back for anymore, IMO.

I say he's done put a fork in him, plenty of time to cook meth with his sister now ;-0

Bob

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

One Super Bowl win for Green Bay.

Same as Brett.

• arthurm
    13 years ago

I always think "what a great name for a football team...Green Bay Packers!!!"

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?