Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stitzelweller

John Wall/Gilbert Arenas & Bullets/Wizards

stitzelweller
13 years ago

The Bullets' original intent was to have Gilbert "school" John Wall for at least Wall's first year. I expect the team to not even wait that long. I think that they'll dump Gil at the earliest opportunity. His recent antics show that he hasn't learned any lessons from his gun "play" last season.

Gil is expendable. The new owner, Ted Leonisis, wdn't tolerate his bullcrap. Ted is an astute businessman who knows when to take a loss. The team will sacrifice this season and work on rebuilding with Wall.

If you doubt Ted Leonisis, look at his success with the Washington Capitals, his NHL team. At Leonsis' direction, the management started with a bunch of underpaid no-names, added Alex Ovechkin and are now contenders for the Stanley Cup. Oh yeah, Ted also added a hungry Coach Boudreau along the way.

Comments (12)

• stitzelweller
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Wizards were trounced 112-83 by the Orlando Magic in Wall's NBA debut. John shot 6 for 19.

--Stitz--

• westoh Z6
    13 years ago

Well, he ain't in Kentucky any longer. Give him a few months/years and I think he'll be OK. Awfully young, sometimes it is hard to tell when they haven't had too much college exposure. (I only saw the highlights, jeez they must have shown all 13 of his missed shots on NBA TV this morning?)

Maybe Gil will go to LaLa-land and play with Artest, they'd make a good pair.

What do you think of the NBA allowing such young players in? When I see players like Wall, I always think of Allen Iverson (I see he signed to play in Turkey :-) )and how he may have benefited personally and professionally from a couple more years at G-Town.

Bob

• stitzelweller
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Professional athletes should be open to a free market within the law (child labor). If a 16 y/o girl can play professional tennis, why shouldn't a 20 y/o boy play professional basketball? Let's be realistic - NCAA basketball is also "professional", isn't it?

I'm LOVING the World Series. It is extremely rare for me to root against an AL team however, the Texass Rangers (ex-Washington Senators) merit my wrath. I was ecstatic to watch last night's 9-0 victory by the Giants.

I was stunned to read a column in the snoozepaper where the writer felt the need to inform readers that the SF Giants were preceded by the NY Giants. Didn't EVERY one already know that? :) More dumbing-down.....

• velamina
    13 years ago

I wish I could share your enthusiasm for baseball. The other day the game was on and I looked at the screen in amazement: I didn't know there was a baseball team named "Giants". I am not proud of this, but I thought I might amuse you :) Valium for Velamina = baseball and golf.

• arthurm
    13 years ago

Nothing wrong with Golf, at least it doesn't wreck your body and the Handicapping system in theory allows you to play with anyone on equal terms.

Getting back to your hero, i know he is supposed to be a nippy guy, but sometimes even nippy guys get crunched by hulks.

Here is a link that may be of interest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sports injuries

• velamina
    13 years ago

Arthur I posted on the Favre thread re your article.

Stitz, John Wall seems to have recovered quickly. We didn't know what to think about that first game. It was like watching a HS basketball game and we stopped watching halfway through.

• westoh Z6
    13 years ago

Stitz,

It just seems to me that basketball players seem to be awfully immature and aren't at their peaks at such a young age. On the other hand, young female tennis players seem to top out very young and handle it 'OK'. It probably has an awful lot to do with the make-up of each group also. I'm not aware of too many gangster types hanging around tennis courts or professional business people hanging out at outdoor ball courts.

A little sour here as I feel Iverson introduced a very negative (to me anyhow) gangster feel to pro-ball that had never been there before. I blame that on his age and lack of any real guidance in his life. Another 3 years of college may have helped him in that area, IMO.

Bob

• stitzelweller
    Original Author
    13 years ago

John notched his first W last night.

• stitzelweller
    Original Author
    13 years ago

San Francisco Giants won its first title the night before. Better the Giants than the Rangers!

• stitzelweller
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"A little sour here as I feel Iverson introduced a very negative (to me anyhow) gangster feel to pro-ball that had never been there before. I blame that on his age and lack of any real guidance in his life. Another 3 years of college may have helped him in that area, IMO.

Bob

Bob, Perhaps another 3 years of college may have helped Iverson. Perhaps...

That's no reason to "inflict" college life on those for whom it is not appropriate. Moses Malone - a perfect example of someone who would have been completely out of touch in any college or university environment.

--Stitz--

• westoh Z6
    13 years ago

Stitz,

Agreed, but MM and some of the other more famous HS to Pro palyers (Chocolate Thunder DD, Marvin Webster, Kobe, Kevin Garnett, etc..) showed some maturity from the beginning. I just hope Wall doesn't exhibit the same 'omniscient' behaviour as Iverson and some of the others who 'came in' a little too early. Seems like the ones who come in after 1 year of college are the problem. I think the scouts/owners problably realize they are not mature enough in HS so they let them do a year or two of college in hopes of a change, but that doesn't always happen and the mighty dollar speaks loudly so they get drafted anyhow.

Bob

• stitzelweller
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Wizards "Coach", Flip Saunders, dismissed the team early from its morning practice on Monday. Told 'em all to come back at 4 PM if they wanted to get any better. Boy, did John Wall sign up with a sorry bunch!

Look for Leonsis to fire Saunders before he unloads Arenas. Leonsis won't get anything in return for a "trade" of Saunders! :)

--Stitz--