Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michigoose_gw

Suggestions for treadmill?

michigoose
17 years ago

Ok..I want to buy a used treadmill for dd and for me. Dd will definitely use it in the winter because she does xc. I just want an alternative to walking in the rain/sleet/etc. and maybe I'll get my act together and weight down enough to start running....

Since life is so flat around here, I think I'd want one with an incline to it.

I suppose that this is the wrong crew to ask seeing as we are usually talking about eating rather than exercising, but I really want to get my tailfeathers in order. Thanks.

Comments (10)

• westoh Z6
    17 years ago

'goose,

My only experience is with Nordic Tracks. Nordic Track makes some nice units (adjustable inclines and speeds, programmable by person, etc...), you can usually get them on sale at Sears and such for $400-$600 depending on the make. Be sure to get one that has good cushioning or shock absorbers, those things have always wrecked havoc on my back.

Too bad, I just sold a very good 3-year old one that was "hardly used ;-)" for 3 bills which was much less than half of the new price.

Good Luck,

Bob

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

I have a Nordic Track also and I guess it's fine, but are you really sure you want one of these beasts? Walking, running or whatever on these things has to be one of the most boring things known to mankind. I've tried the usual distractions and still can't forget that I'm on this &^%$$% machine. I can't think of one person I know who bought one of these and still uses it. To me, it's pure torture, but then again I bore easily.

K

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Kev's right. Sounds just way too boring. But if you know you'll use it go for it. Personally I'd have to shop for one with a cup holder big enough for a forty, maybe a little Fry Daddy attachment or at least a microwave ;)

• Judybird2014
    17 years ago

Some of the nicer ones are unbelievably $uper.. and quiet.
    My animals hated the noise mine made, so that's why I sold it;-) LOL

• michigoose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I figured I could watch the news while using it...Some folks read while using a bike trainer, but I've never been able to do that...I keep on spinning but the cadence slows down..... I just hate walking in the rain and in the very early morning, and I also have a habit of trying to get as much done as possible in the daylight hours outside so that then I don't get the walk in....

• komi
    17 years ago

I hate those things with a vengence. I'd opt for those stair mills (the ones that look like revolving stairs) - more workout in less time. I haven't seen them sold retail though, so it's probably out of the question....

• turkeytaker
    17 years ago

You could do what my friend has done... mounted a keyboard above the bars and put a LCD monitor on a wall mount in front of the treadmill. When he works, he walks. It's particularly good for him since his brain is only operated by a backup belt that connects to his legs; ie. unless he walks, he can't think. He's also got a tile board on the wall next to the treadmill for a treadmill-length whiteboard.

He puts up with the orchids, I put up with the 'office'.

Stacy

• Ginge
    17 years ago

I did have a stationary bike hated the thing .. boring .. buy a warm coat, fresh air is good :) Or sign up at a fitness center at least you are not stubbing your toes on the thing . Gin

• ladybug_ok
    17 years ago

I have a semi-recumbent bike made by Vision Fitness. If one has to exercise, it's a great way to do it. Quiet, good cardio work out (according to the docs) and easy on the bad knees and back. I usually do my half hour while watching a favorite program. (Must admit though that I tend to gain speed if it's an exciting show. hehe)

Meanwhile, the old treadmill continues to collect dust....

Maggie

• eezytiger2
    17 years ago

I would reccommend Sole Treadmills. They have better warranties than anyone out there. I own an F80 and love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sole Fitness