Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Do you peek at the newest posted phal topic?

aachenelf z5 Mpls
16 years ago

I must admit, I always do and I don't know why. I don't grow them, don't particularly care for them and generally have no interest in them. I still look which is very odd since I generally only read a couple of the current topics.

K

Comments (150)

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

I like "bloke." It rhymes with "joke" and "poke." Just sayin'

(this thread has fallen behind the other by a few posts!)

• Judybird2014
    16 years ago

O, I'm sure it'll be fab, don't be so touchy, bloke.

yes, Lis, we ARE the best, LOL

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

Smoke, bloke, soak, coke, toke.

I'll definitely try your quiche, O. It looks completely different from most of the quiche recipes I've seen, so I've go hope for it.

I'm going to fix up all of the casseroles and finger foods this week and freeze them. Then I won't have to worry about someone's mother tasting and complaining about my efforts.

• clairewags
    16 years ago

Ug. I hate unhelpful people in my kitchen. My whole family in law love to poke around in my kitchen and snack on food. It drives me crazy- they open pots and pull out a veggie to snack on, they open oven doors, look around in my fridge, there was one evening I went to cut brownies and there was all ready a square missing! I don't know how my MIL deals with that!

• orrin_h
    16 years ago

Oops, got a bit cornfused there about the quiche hater-my bad. Bygones. These varied meandering threads get a bit dizzying trying to remember who said what where.

I like 'galah'. I met one this weekend, both loud and stupid (with a little boorish thrown in). His lady friend was cool though, don't know what she was doing knocking about with that bloke. He was actually wearing turquoise knee socks with a sort of matching hat. Egad.

-O-

• michigoose
    16 years ago

Hey O! Come clean, are you sharing that quiche recipe or no? Where is it? Did I miss it? I scrolled quickly through here and saw lots of cats being plumped up to be skinned, but not quiche recipe....

• komi
    16 years ago

The quiche recipe is on the baking thread, duh.

turquoise knee socks would look good on a catfish.

• arthurm
    16 years ago

Just thinking. There must be a FOOOOOOD forum over there and it would have zillions of posters.

Wonder what the dragon woman is going to dish up for tea. Just a moment and i'll 'ask her. "i don't know. i'll find something". doesn't sound too encouraging.

As for the Galahs. There are two of them down the yard in their cage. A left over from the age of children. I think the Galahs will live for ever. At least guinea pigs and white mice are short lived.

The word i am looking for to describe the need to transcribe, rewrite Priscilla is INSULAR.

Why is it so good. simply because it has the same costume designer as the film. Only this time she had $$$$$ to spend.

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

I like guinea pigs. Not only do they taste good, but they're pet rocks that make funny cooing noises.

The quiche is in the oven, now, except in smaller forms. I made five different types:

leek, sundried tomato, and mozarella
    green onion, sundried tomato, and swiss
    leek, sundried tomato, and aged gouda
    shrimp and swiss
    cayenne, shrimp, and swiss

• orrin_h
    16 years ago

Yeah, and here I was telling you to 'try this or that'. Never again. You clearly know how to experiment in a good way (I should have known that from the recent Gado-gado thing-duh).

And yeah, I stole Komi's 'duh'. That was priceless.

Arthur, insular is the word. I've always been rather ashamed at the way Americans (not all of us, but an awful lot of us) expect to be coddled and catered to. Thanks for your regular metric smackdowns. I was taught the metric system in elementary school; it was to replace our current oz pound gallon mile farenheit. I'm 43 now, and we still have miles, and food items from the market still have both metric and 'standard' (like we're in a transition period-a very long transition period). I don't like doing math in my head.

And thanks for the Aussie slang; I love the english language in all it's permutations, especially the slangy bits.

Ramble ramble ramble....

-O-

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Has anyone checked out the Cooking Forum? They have some sort of exchange going on over there. Looks like they're sending these really elaborate gifts to each other. Haven't read enough to figure out what it's all about or how it works, but people seem to be happy with what they're getting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Exchange

• clairewags
    16 years ago

All right Kev, I sent you a package with some glasses I never use because I only have two (the other 4 broke) some pitcher my MIL gave me for Christmas two years ago that I think is ugly as hell and a cooking magazine from 2001 I found in the basement next to the glasswear. You're welcome.

• komi
    16 years ago

"The quiche is in the oven, now, except in smaller forms. I made five different types:"

Man, I used to do things like that. I guess this is proof of age.

... Off to the other thread to comment more on the quiche.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Claire

As they say: Return to sender.... Address unknown....

Thank you, but no thank you. I like picking out my own junk, but must say I'm not really into complete sets of anything these days. I love my collection of odds and ends. I'm a bowl freak by the way. Glasses not so much.

K

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

Madness, boredom, and youthfulness are all dangerous things. Especially when it comes to mini quiche.

Good thing about bowls is that you can use them as cups.

• clairewags
    16 years ago

Gah. Do you know how many mini quiches my DH would eat in a sitting? Enough to add up to one whole quiche. Seriously dangerous.

How aged was that gouda in your quiche? I had one that was 4 years that was the nastiest cheese I have ever eaten. I love gouda, but not after it has sat around. We had a 12 year cheddar last week that was awesome.

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

I don't know hold the cheese was, but the quiche smelled like socks. I like smoked gouda, but you're right about their being something foul about the old stuff.

I made 48 of the minis last night, there are only three people in the house, I ate five (to taste each variety), and there are only seven still alive today. They are dangerous.

• arthurm
    16 years ago

What has happened? This thread has stalled at smelly socks cheese. Now i find this strange. Why would anyone eat something that smells of old socks?

Did the thread over on discussions actually stop at 150 or did it just peter out?

I should use American measures here, but am just too lazy to do the conversions. When in Rome and all that stuff.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love old sock cheese. It may smell like them, but it sure doesn't taste like them.

I also was wondering why all the chat suddenly died, but that's how these things always seem to go. For a few days a bunch of folks are chatty as h$ll and then they get lives or something. Very sad, very sad............

Yes, the other thread stopped at 150. GW posted a little thing about 150 being the magic stop number.

I'm hungry. Off to make dinner.

K

• komi
    16 years ago

Just waiting for you to make an appearance, Arthur.

I have a "life", I suppose. I am moving office this weekend from a 7 ft SE window to a room with one 3 ft NW and one 3 ft NE window. I am now wandering around Ikea to see if there is something that can be turned into a growing case, and also meld into the office "decor". (I am using quotation marks consistently, btw.) The windows are useless, obviously. If anyone knows of a plant that likes a cold dark window with air vents above, and is worth growing, lemme know.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's the perfect one for you. Not sure what it is, but the description does say it's an orchid. Should thrive under those conditions and will be the envy of anyone entering your office.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:135520}}

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

Oh, good. We're on to stinky cheese! (as I write this I'm actually inhaling a non-stinky, fluffy, sweet local sheep's milk cheese that is sooooooo gooood!)

One of the very best cheeses I ever had was part of a selection a friend of mine brought me in exchange for a favor. It was an anonymous blob wrapped in blue and white paper. The fragrance was apparent from outside the giftwrapped package. Sitting on the plate it oozed an evil, gray fluid that reeked of ....something nasty, I guess. Socks would have been roses next to it. The flavor, though, was divine. It was one of those eyes-roll-back flavors that i had to sit down to enjoy. Truly incredible. Sadly, my friend couldn't remember what it was. There's never been a cheese in my life before or since that could compare.

Incidentally, the only cheese factory in America that still makes Limburger is in my neck of the woods so we can get it quite fresh here, before it goes bad :)

• komi
    16 years ago

"an anonymous blob wrapped in blue and white paper. The fragrance was apparent from outside the giftwrapped package. Sitting on the plate it oozed an evil, gray fluid that reeked of ....something nasty, I guess. Socks would have been roses next to it. The flavor, though, was divine."

I've had something like that! Too good, I ate it solo - crackers and such would have just spoiled it.

@ Kevin. Go for it. She's cute and looks like she might like hanging with an elf.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, I don't think stinky, sock cheese is going anywhere. We seem to have lost our regular posters. Not that there's anything wrong with stinky, sock cheese.

Made a buttermilk Bundt cake this morning. Smells great, but it has to cool before I try it. Now the recipe called for a tube pan. I'm confused. Is a tube pan the one with the removable thing in the middle or is it the same as a Bundt cake pan. When I used Mr. Google I had mixed results. I even came across an ad for a Bundt cake tube pan. In any case, I love Bundt cakes. They always turn out great for me.

• arthurm
    16 years ago

Stinky sock cheese went a few rounds. Now we are on to Bundt cakes, whatever they are. I could wake the Dragon Woman and ask her, but that is fraught with danger. She is never, ever in a good mood in the early morning.

When it comes to cooking, i am the dumbest of the dumb.

• komi
    16 years ago

I guess you could say a Bundt pan is a type of tube pan. Tube pans have that "tube" hole in the middle - not necessarily removable. The Bundt has a decorative shape - sort of vertical ridges. A Kugelhupf is also decoratively shaped with a ridged pattern which is swirled on the upper part. Turk's Head is another shape - straight (not flared). I think these are usually smaller.

There's probably info out there on the derivation of these names, but I say it is all a marketing ploy to get us to dish out more dough to clutter our kitchens.

Signed,
    Your aregular poster

• Judybird2014
    16 years ago

speaking of clutter, I want a panini griddler.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Judy - You don't need one of them. What on earth are they for? I did a Google, but was too lazy to read much.

Well, I'm not buying a real tube pan then unless I want to make an angel food cake. Never made one of those before and it doesn't even sound good, so I can't imagine wanting to make one.

I hate clutter. I'm always tossing things.

The cake was great. Had three pieces, so I should have a major sugar crash in about 30 minutes. The downside of eating too much cake or cookies or pie or candy or any of those loverly things.

• komi
    16 years ago

panini griddler - are you talking about an electric one? They are fabulous! I used to have one and got a lot of use out of it. Considering the alternative is to whip out a ridged skillet and put an old skool iron on too of the sandwich to flatten it... It's so rare to find a good panini place in the US and they are so good and easy to make at home.

• Judybird2014
    16 years ago

yes, electric, cuisinart

Here is a link that might be useful: best price online

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

Could you just heat up that spare cast iron frying pan in the oven or on the cooktop and use that to press it? I'm a hard one to sell kitchen gadgets to unless they do more than five things that a conventional set of pots and pans can do.

• komi
    16 years ago

Yup, you can. Heat a cast iron griddle and one skillet to use as a weight on top (should be big enough for the sandwich).

I don't do gadgets much (I hand wisk eggs) but the panini griddle is one I think is maybe worth it. If the panini/waffle version works well, I'd go for that. (if I had counterspace.)

• clairewags
    16 years ago

Cast iron is a gift from the Gods. My best friend gave me a cast iron grill pan and a press (bacon press to some) to make a Cuban sandwich he saw in my Weber grill book. :) I just used it to make Jamaican Chicken (w/ Mango Salsa) last night. I love that darned cast iron. :)

• clairewags
    16 years ago

Were we done talking about stinky cheese?? My DH LOVES stinky cheese. My love stops right around blue cheese- and only some blue cheeses are good to me. But even he didn't like the aged Gouda- blech.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You can talk about stinky cheese if you like. After all, this IS America. You can do anything you like. GOD BLESS AMERICA la la la la.......

I've never thought of bleu cheese as stinky - a bit pungent maybe, but not stinky.

You're right about cast iron. Love mine to death. I think they originally belonged to my grandmother. I don't use them as much as I could, but love them for those little things like toasting nuts or spices. However you must remember to use a pot holder. You really must.

K

• clairewags
    16 years ago

Shoot. I fry eggs in my cast iron. I try to use it as much as posible. Once I reheated my leftover haddock in my skillet- that was a bad idea. It reeked of fish.

See? I have no tolerance for the real stinky stuff!!

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

Pot holder or end up branded for life. I've currently got a nice brand from a dutch oven handle on my palm. Half of our moving weight is going to be cast iron, because we've started accumulating it. Great stuff.

I love bleu cheese, but I grew up with braunschweiger, a stinky cheese of your choice, mustard, on pumpernickel. Some stinky cheeses (limburger, in particular) bring back memories of gooseliver I'd like to forget.

• komi
    16 years ago

I feel like I have to defend my honour. Cast iron fan here too - 2 skillets, grill pan, and a dutch oven are pretty much permanent fixtures on the stove.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Braunschweiger!! I LOVE this stuff, but never ever buy it. Have some very fond memories of braunschweiger on bread (any bread will do), mayo and mustard with a hot cup of coffee. Once T day is over I have to start exploring all these great food things again.

T day grocery shopping is done with. Now I just have to figure out a cooking schedule for the rest of the week.

• clairewags
    16 years ago

Gah! Braunshweiger! I have horrible memories of my brother making sandwiches with that stuff, ketchup and soft white bread. Gross.

I think I have all my grocery shopping done. I need milk, but I can go to the little shop down the street for that. We will be eating egg burritos and onion soup until Thursday. (Not at the same meal.)

• clairewags
    16 years ago

Thanks to Kevin's snooping around on other forums, namely the cooking forum, I have found out people post pictures of their refrigerators. Not for make and model info, but what do you keep in your fridge sharing. That's like posting pics of the inside of your handbag. Sheesh. Is nothing private??

BTW: I forgot I can't post twice on the same thread without changing the subject.

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

I've got you beat, Ki. We have four skillets, from 15.25" down, a grill pan, and a 7-qt dutch oven.

Fridge peeping sounds kind of morbid. I should take some pictures of mine -- we've got a petrified fruit collection with a token bagel rock in there.

• Judybird2014
    16 years ago

I took a pic of inside ours to show my mom my homegrown lemons; she was impressed.. (Meyers Lemon; miniature plant, regular size lemons!)
    {{gwi:135536}}

• clairewags
    16 years ago

I have the deep skillet & shallow skillet that doubles as a lid and a 12 qt camp dutch oven for big batches of chili.

You will not see the inside of my fridge.

• komi
    16 years ago

Cool lemons.

I also have the long griddle!

So I'm realizing that if I do this baking, I will have an excess of egg whites. I suppose a meringue or angel cake (the tea bag version isn't bad) of something else airy may be in order....

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You know that cooking forum looks pretty active, but I don't think I want to get involved. I bet there are at least a few forum masters over there. Did you see the post about ginger? I guess if we eat the stuff from China we all croak. Not good.

Very nice lemons Judy. Hope no innocent reader takes that the wrong way.

My fridge is kind of a mess right now and I really hate that. All the food for T day plus all those hibernating orchids and carnivorous plants I vowed never to store there. Some of them are actually growing new roots inside their little baggies. I wonder if that's normal?

Not many posts now before we reach the magic number. Only profound and heartfelt comments accepted from now on.

• Judybird2014
    16 years ago

I'd like to wish all of you a profound and heartfelt
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

{{gwi:135543}}

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

I'll offer a profound and heartfelt exclamation of glee at finding another Pepsi drinker who lives in Georgia.

Lovin' those lemons. Do you grow the plant inside?

I had a 24 eggwhite angel food cake recipe somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up.

• Judybird2014
    16 years ago

everything grown outside, Stacy, GH during winter.. but they make excellent container plants.

yep, Coke changed their formula many yrs ago and we left them in a huff~

hmmm, a profound statement~ Less is more.

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

Aaaaaaand post 150 is my heartfelt wish for all who are observing it this week a Happy Thanksgiving and warm wishes to all for many things to be thankful for.

With that, I'm off to the food forum since I don't need this one anymore =:)

(I kid! I kid because I love!)