Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuezday1

what 'stuff' do I really need?

tuezday1
17 years ago

Okay guys, help me out here. I've got a collection of pots, pans and bake ware (glass, stone, metal, Corning)that needs to get pared down. I mean seriously, I have two 1-qt saucepans, three 2-qt, two 3-qt, one each 4, 8 and 12 qt, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. It's all Farberware. And the glass and Corning type stuff, good lord, you'd think I had 10 kids I was feeding daily.

I actually have the lids for most of this stuff, which makes deciding which of the glass type stuff should go difficult, as it has lots of uses.

Complicating the glass/corning type bowl issue is my collection of pottery, which makes some of this stuff even more redundant. However, unless I bought it in this country (none of it is worth more than a couple hundred bucks) and/or could ask the artist personally, I assume it's not microwave and dishwasher safe and only use it for serving or just looking at.

My next issue will be coats/jackets/blazers. I have lots of coats, I can't stop buying coats, I never wear coats. Just a month ago I bought the cutest brushed corduroy jacket at Macy's and another "tiny" black blazer. I'm moving to Florida, stop me from buying coats.

What should I get rid of? Or what do I really need?

Laura

Comments (6)

• cjwatson
    17 years ago

How big is the family now, or is it just you moving?

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

As you know, I do a lot of cooking and here's what I have in the saucepan dept: 1 qt, 2 1/2 qt, 4 1/2 qt and something large for soup, although that really isn't a saucepan. I've never felt the need to have more than that. I probably use the 4 1/2 qt the most not because I make large quantities of stuff, but because things don't boil over as easily if they are in a larger pan. I rarely use the 1 qt.

If the pottery stuff really makes you happy, keep it even if you don't use it all that often. I seem to find a use for almost every decorative bowl and plate I have. Then again, I'm kind of a nut case when it comes to dishes in general. Some people have a shoe thing; I have a dish thing. Love 'em. Can't have enough of them.

Coats? In Florida? Why? Keep a jacket or two.

• Judybird2014
    17 years ago

keep one each of your best pots and pans..
    pottery, I'd keep it all, give as gifts as you need to..
    coats, blazers...keep your very favorites, according to where you'll move, you'll still need a few warm clothes, and you will travel to cooler climates, you may hate FL and you'll need them then.. always keep famous name brands or ebay them with a reserved price.
    (yesterday, we were on the verge of buying another lakehouse.. today, it doesn't seem like the greatest idea, funny how stepping back and 'sleeping on it' makes a difference.)

• tuezday1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

CJ that's the worst part, it's just me and I have enough pots and pans for a soup kitchen.

I culled out a bunch of pots and pans, but probably still have too many. I kept the 12 qt lobster/spaghetti pot because once a year I make homemade spaghetti sauce and freeze it. Except I'm not taking my freezer and that is so painful. On the other hand, now that it's just me, a 20cf commercial freezer is overkill, especially since I pretty much only keep parrot food in it now.

Oh no, the pottery is coming with me. It's just that the pottery makes some of my glass bowls redundant. So, I decided I'd only keep the glass bowls/stoneware etc., that had lids or I used a lot. Naturally, only 2 small ones didn't fit that criteria.

I'll keep my Columbia ski jacket as it's a twice piece coat and I usually use the windbreaker part of it as my winter coat. And I do ski when I remember that it's cold enough somewhere for snow. I guess I'll get rid of the other jackets based on age or something.

I dread going through my over-sized walk in closet and tackle the clothes. That's next as it's the last closet and mess I have to clean out and pack.

Judy, buy another lake house. It's obvious you loved your lake house.

• michigoose
    17 years ago

I'd say 2 and 4 qt. corning ware should do it...and at least 1 9 x 13 and one 9x 9 or 8 x 8. You could keep a 9x 13 corning ware with cover and use that as a 9x13 baking pan and not keep a regular one.

I try to serve at least 3 veggies at a meal. Therefore, since there are only 3 of us, I use at least 3 small sauce pans at a time. I also use my 2 & 3 qt sauce pans about every day. Keep one small frying pan (with lid) and one monster frying pan (for making a sauteed dish for 2 or sauteeing a bunch of stuff on the stove) with lid. Keep one dutch oven, 4 - 6 quart and your monster one. Two loaf pans. 2 pie pans (I use these for more than just pies). I'd say that's all you really need. At least those are what I use most often, and it should give you versitility if you have guests over and you cook.

• michigoose
    17 years ago

I would also say two jelly roll pans (cookie sheets with sides) and one baking sheet, whether it be a cooking stone or a flat cookie sheet. I like to have one cookie sheet filled and waiting to go in, so when I yank out the others, one can go in and I can quickly fill the first one I have pulled out, so there is very little difference in timing and you have it going faster. Jelly roll pans are a tad more versitile than flat baking sheets, however, it is really great to have something you can just slide stuff off, rather than having to lift it off...just in case you need that capability for some reason....

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County