Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interesting... my dog had a tumor 'explode'

Posted by tuezday1 Got pollen?NC (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 9, 06 at 23:26

Okay, I think this is interesting and since I'd never heard of it, or seen this type of thing, I thought I'd share. I've had a myriad of dogs, horses etc., and have never seen this.

My dog has had a pea-sized, cyst-type thing (or so we thought) on his mid-back, a few inches below his spine, for a couple of years. It didn't bother him, didn't grow, kept forgetting to have anyone look at it. Because he is double coated and has actual fur that is extremely dense, we never could figure out if it was below or above the skin, or even get a really good look at it. Even when he's shaved down, as he is now, his fur is so dense I can't find bare skin to put on Advantage.

Last Thursday, this "thing" all of a sudden was very obvious. Looked like he had scratched it off or irritated it and it had scabbed over, except there was only the slightest blood tinge in the surrounding hair and no blood on the hair on top of this thing. At this point it was about the size of a quarter, irregular, and had some thickness to it. I tried cleaning it off by placing a damp towel on it to get some sense of what it was. I really didn't recall seeing him scratch in that area but he has skin allergies that worsen this time of the year, so I figured anything was possible. But I didn't get the sense it was a scab in the classic sense.

Took him to the vet today, it was the first appointment we could get. He had a subcutaneous benign tumor that had aged to the point it ran out of it's blood supply and when that happens they burst (I believe the vet said aged, as opposed to enlarged). Evidently, when they run out of a blood supply these things rupture. This left him with a dime-sized hole that was a millimeter or so deep (I only saw into the hole when the vet pulled the "roof" back far enough to look into it and it was filled with staph infection, so I couldn't really see how deep it was, he was taken into the operating room to get it cleaned off and cleaned out and when I next saw him it was filled with a powder to stop the bleeding).

The whole situation is no big deal, aside from the resulting staph infection which had not affected my dog systemically (symptomatically)to this point. We have a follow up appointment in two weeks, once the infection has cleared with antibiotics. I guess I can either have the remainder excised or leave it alone, depending on what the vet finds once the infection clears and it hardens off so the vet can get a sense of what's left.

I didn't ask, will try to remember when we go back, but I guess the 'scab' was dead tumor cells. It was weird because when I tried to lift it to see what was under it, the dog didn't even flinch. I would expect had it been a scab attached to the skin, it should have hurt, and this dog is a real chicken. When he even thinks something is going to hurt he starts complaining.

Just thought I'd share this, should anyone else find it interesting.

Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interesting... my dog had a tumor 'explode'

Are you sure it wasn't a sebaceous cyst? We had a guy (thick, double-coated hair) that had a few, and one popped like that. It oozed out some pretty nasty stuff and the hole after ooze looks pretty gruesome, but it doesn't seem to bother him in the least. They do come back unless the 'core' is removed. My vet said they were sort of like giant zits. Definitely interested to see whether or not your dog bumps are the same as these. Stacy

o

On another note , Birds can come up with feather cysts(ingrown feather ) especially soft feathered canaries , if left alone they will dry up and can be popped out .
Not had a cyst on a dog ... yet .. Gin

o

Nope definitely wasn't a cyst. This thing had no fluid in it and wasn't oozing in the least. The staph infection (I'm assuming here) was just starting to develop and rather than ooze or pus, it looked like pieces of cooked yellow rice.

Having just lost a dog to lymphoma, I'm kinda sensitive about the word "tumor", so I didn't miss a word the vet said when he was explaining the situation. My dog's mother recently died of rectal cancer that had spread to her bladder, so you know I quizzed the vet but good.

The fact that it didn't bother the dog in the least is one reason I didn't waste much time getting him to the vet. That suggested to me this was a separate entity and not really part of the dog. An encapsulated cyst or tumor would fit that description.

I had no idea a bird could have an ingrown feather. I would think that would really hurt.

o

Let's talk about food.

o

Awesome. Cottage cheese and beets anyone?

o

Why did I have to read this while having lunch.
Intresting thread. I just had a flashback. My dog died when I was a kid, a long time ago. She had a tumor that sounds exactly like the one mentioned above. But, I never found out the actual cause of death. She was over 15 years old (older than I was then) and they just attributed it to old age.

o

I'm thinking cheese - something very creamy.

o

I've got brie.

And cottage cheese and beets.

All three sound pretty good.

o

No wonder I don't eat those foods. YUCK!

I don't really mind exploding tumors as much as cottage cheese blended with beets and brie.

o

Hi, my Sheltie (12-year old) has an active sebaceous (sp?) cyst on his back. It got to the size of a medium sized gumball under his skin and the seem to come to a head like a pimple. Our vet suggested we use a warm compress for an extended period. That worked! It oozed out briefly, then gushed a white soft material, and every so often, a piece of white material would come out that looked like a large piece of bloated white rice. This went on for a week or so, then it flattened and healed over. Two weeks later, if raised a bit, and reopened. This has happened several times. Tonight it was filled with white material and blood (lighter in color). The hole (opening) is no larger than usual. I am hoping it will heal again. If it continues to bleed for one-two days (small amounts) I will take him to the vet to make sure he has no infection, etc. Our vet indicated early on that it would likely return, i.e., the sack would refill. Our dog is too old for surgury, so the sack will remain. He is not an outside dog, so less chance of infecting the area. Still, I was surprised by the blood coming out. I'd say it was an eight of a teaspoon in volume. That's a bit more than expected!

Any similar experience?

o

I'm so happy I read this after breakfast - oatmeal. No lunch today.

o

My personal fav experience was shaving a cocker spaniel that was terribly matted and finding maggots in a big wet dermatitis sore on the skin. If you want I can go on... I have more stories...gb

o

Eric, your dog can get a staph infection whether it's an inside dog or not. That white stuff that looks like bloated rice, is staph, that was my exact description of it too. My vet said it was staph when my dog's tumor ruptured. Your dog needs antibiotics, as staph can become a major issue quickly. Since this cyst keeps coming back, and the vet is familiar with this issue as part of your dog's medical history, more than likely you will not have to take the dog in every time the cyst ruptures, but rather you may be able to just call and pick up an antibiotic without taking the dog in for an exam.

If your dog is not in the physical shape necessary for general anesthesia, your vet may be able to remove the cyst with a local and the use of Xanax or similar to help keep the dog quiet for a quick excision.

This type of cyst or boil is also a common problem for some people.

Good luck with your dog.

GB, that's disgusting. I hope someone gave that dog's owner a good talking to. That is someone who has no business owning a pet.

o

The first time I venture into the conversation forum and this is the first thread I read? Tummy all nice and full of peanut butter cookie. Uh-oh.

John :>)

o

I had my first experience with a ruptured cyst last night. Brick colored and cottage cheesy. Didn't seem to phase my sweet old dog though! Do I need to take him to the vet? Does he need anti-biotics? If so, will clavamox do the trick - got lots at home.
thanks!

o

Probably somethin' known as a sebaceous cyst. Basically a giant zit. If the tissue forming the thick material is not removed, the ruptured area will heal and eventually the cyst will reform. It may take a month or 5 years before it gets large enough to rupture.

The only way to prevent it from reforming is a surgical excision. If you elect to not have a surgery, clean the area with some 3% hydrogen peroxide and some betadine iodine solution. Maybe some Neosporin to the surface and you're done.

*Never ever* trust some nameless cyber somebody from the Internet who gives advice when it comes to the health of your beloved family member! Although my intentions are good ... without actually seeing your pet all I can offer is my best guess.

It would be best to have your doggy vet checked to make sure it isn't infected AND that it is *just* a sebaceous cyst. Sometimes more evil insidious growths can break open and they are not just a cyst.

C3D

Hmmmmmm. Got lots of Clavamox? Make sure they are not past the expiration date! Unlike many medications, when Clavamox expires, it EXPIRES! Indiscriminate use of random systemic antibiotics may lead to resistant bacterium in the future.

o

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Mon, May 12, 08 at 9:50

First time I venture over to have a look-see, and this is the post I choose to open and read... yum!

Good thing I'm more than familiar with all the gory details of pet ownership and breeding... tumors are nothing... ever open up a dog to do a c-section and find a bellyful of death and cancer? It's just the thing to see and smell before ordering Italian food!

Don't get me wrong... I'm very sympathetic to animals in pain, and I keep my dogs very healthy and well-taken care of... but some things are just part of life, and it's best to get used to them if animals are part of your family.

o

I have a Shihtzu and he has a small, hard "scab" on his back about the size of a grain of rice. When my husband removes it, a small hole is left (no blood or oozing) and it does seem to be a bit painful for him. Within two to three weeks it returns. Any ideas what this could be? Other then that he is a happy, healthy dog.

o

Maybe it is some kinda cyst that keeps re-forming? Probably the only way to get rid of the thing is to ... get rid of the thing with a surgical excision + / - a biopsy.

o

This is my first time on the site, too, but it didn't occur to me to think about food. Overtrained, I expect. Our German Shepard (GSD) got a papilloma that was very like the first thread posted; we had no idea it was there until it got to be golf-ball sized, and he knocked it off. We won't mention what happened to the lump after that. All I could associate it with was warts of a rather different variety, I was very relieved to find out that no, they weren't the same, and no, they didn't jump to humans. We wound up having to have a big excision on his tail, then got a nasty staph infection and the poor thing lost all the hair on the bottom half of his tail for 6 mos. Very humiliating for a GSD, I'm sure. But, it wasn't cancer, and it hasn't come back, and the tail healed up without blood supply damage, so it was worth all the disgusting bandage changes and no-meat dinners after. Gotta say, I'm glad I'm not a wound nurse. I'm having chocolate mousse for dessert now. Had dinner with a bunch of nutrtition professors, felt like a scum for even thinking dessert when they were talking portion control. Cheers, all.

o

I can't believe this thread is still alive. After a life time of owning dogs (or visa versa)I have only had this happen the one time but, obviously, it's common...

Now our issues are lipomas and superfleas that laugh at current flea treatments but, well, we live in Florida.

Laura and Remy (with the superfleas, lipomas and past exploding tumors).

o

Six months ago my 4 year old male shih tzu had a bump pop up under the skin on his ribs. The vet thought it was one of those gland cysts and tried to drain it. Two weeks later, it was still there, solid as ever. The did surgery and removed it. Now, it has come back, in the same spot, plus one right behind his left ear. They are small, like a miniature pea, are under the skin, solid (they do not drain and cannot be popped), and the hair still grows at the location. They do not bother him, even when you mess with them, but I am worried. Any ideas? I hate to put him through another surgery if it is not needed. I didn't have the first sample sent for biopsy because the vet felt it was no bid deal.

o

karikae,

As they used to say in the hair coloring commercials, 'only your [vet] will know for sure'. Please ask her/him.

o

this topic is CHARMING!

chickadeedeedee, Indiscriminate use of random drugs in the future may lead to uncontrollable euphoria.

o

Hey there Stitz. I have a whole animal hospital with random drugs included! Could you narrow down which ones may bring on the uncontrolled euphoria? There's time I could do with a good dose of it. :-)

My true euphoria comes from "fixing" something like a dog's foot that was shattered in a leg-hold trap and he gets to keep all his toes and fully recovers. Don't know of any drug that could give me that kinda happiness.

I can post a picture of the 3 pound cancerous spleen I removed from my GSD two years ago if you like although it had not exploded. I added a link to the yammering story about my Bosco below if you suffer from insomnia.

3D Chick

Here is a link that might be useful: My Doggy Cancer Story

o

"Could you narrow down which ones may bring on the uncontrolled euphoria?"

I'm sorta partial to opiates. They give a wonderfully warm "rush" throughout the body!

o
Better People Through Drugs

Mmmmmmmmmm..... Opiates! LOL!

Thanks Stitz! That's ~just~ what the doctor needed. :-)

o

3D Chick,

Repeated usage (the ONLY way to fly!) often brings serious constipation. If I have another need for long-term use, I'll remember to have plenty of fruit and laxatives available in advance.

Once I get started, I'm not in any mood to be driving around town shopping for groceries!! :-)

--Stitz--

o

MAGGOTS! Someone mentioned Maggots. Not only are they delicious and nourishing but they also are good surgeons. If left alone, they would have removed all the dead tissue and grunge from your dog without touching a living cell and left behind a clean wound. They have been used to clean up gangrenous wounds where the demmarcation between healthy and dead tissue is not clear. A battalion of these suckers will remove all the dead stuff and leave a clean, ready to heal surface. They have even been used in modern times. They simply will not touch living tissue and only eat dead things without harming the host in any way. Besides that, as I mentioned earlier, they are good to eat. My Discus fish love them.

Nick

o

will maggots cure constipation caused by narcotic pharmaceuticals? will maggots improve intestinal motility?

o

All of the above and also ED.

o
More gross than should be allowed by law!

Ewwwwwwwwwwww! Maggots!

Some maggots WILL cause harm to good tissue so please be careful which ones you apply to your wounds! Indiscriminate use of random maggots in the future may lead to horrible consequences!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mmmmmmmaggots secrete an enzyme which liquifies their surrounding tissue so they can ingest the fluid. Many times this can trigger a severe allergic reaction as well as allowing the associated bacterium into the general circulation and you get a patient that is as sick as a dog!

I've been a small animal and exotics vet for more than 20 years and can easily say the worst wounds I have seen are maggoty. I'll spare you all the details and letcha keep your dinner. :-)

Intestinal, gastric or rectal maggots are NOT recommended!

LOL! This has deteriorated to something 1013 times worse than a simple exploding tumour! :-)

My orchids are doing well while outside .... so far.

o

are maggots considered "exotic"? :-)

o
Another Maggot Moment

The Sugar Glider, for example, who has the maggots around the back side area is considered exotic. I don't consider his maggoty guests as exotic ... although they are ingesting SG DNA. Hmmmmmmm. :-)

I had a Tarantula as a patient a few years ago. He was considered exotic too but he didn't have maggots. Just a belly that split open. A little dab of surgical adhesive fix that problem.

Too bad there isn't an EDIT after posting option here. This thread could be renamed The Gross-out Thread :-)

o

Tue, Aug 5, 08 at 23:50

I hesitate to post... deja vu, and all... however, as a chronic pain patient, I can attest to the fact that stool softeners work fairly well to combat constipation associated with mass opiate ingestion! Maggots, I don't think I'd use... at either end!

And... as a veteran canine breeder, I've seen a few things in the past 20 years that go beyond gross in my book!

Maggots are pretty gross, but they're actually rather interesting when used in medical applications. I don't know that I'd personally choose the maggot method of removing dead tissue for myself, should the need ever arise... but if it could save a limb after a bad accident, or something... I don't know... how many of you think you could deal with maggots should they be needed medically? I'm not sure if I could...

As a footnote... there is nothing in this post that is even slightly derogatory, and there are no hidden meanings between the lines. It is, hopefully, in keeping with the current subject of discussion.

o

If maggots are needed for medical treatments, who do you call?

Are there maggot delivery services in large cities? Rural areas? Where do I find these useful animals WHENEVER I need them?

Do veterinarians keep references of maggot suppliers? Are the suppliers certified by a licensing board? Are maggot caretakers properly trained in maggot nutrition?

Are the maggots provided with environmental enrichment to keep them happy when they aren't "on the job"?

So many important considerations!

o

Oh my, Stitz! Soooo many important questions. Please lemme fill up on some random opoids and I'll get back to you later today. ~~~~~> If I remember.

o

Wed, Aug 6, 08 at 19:20

I couldn't imagine where, exactly, an individual could go for maggots used medicinally, but I recently saw them on a Discovery channel program... they were using the maggots to rid a human patient of gangrene, or some such thing. I didn't catch what country they were being used in, but I assumed it was here in the States.

Time for more opiates...

o

The Smithsonian Institution is 15 miles down the road from here. I'll betcha that they have A LOT of different kinds of maggots!

One species for this job, another species for that job..... I missed my calling. Mebbe, it's not too late!!

I remember that Walter Reed Army Institute for Research had all kinds of mosquitoes and other insects. Ya know that they would never find civilians to be caretakers for those animals! hahaha!

Q: "Oh? And, what do you do for a living?"

A: "I'm a maggot caretaker!"

jodik, I found that oxycodone liquid was especially effective for killing pain AND giving me that warm, fuzzy feeling. After considerable behavioral pharmacology studies using psychoactive drugs, I self-conferred an honorary degree of Pharmacology! I hope to continue until a Nobel Prize is awarded. I think that the King of Norway gets involved.

o

Hiya.

I got somekinda narcotics on board but don't remember which combo but here ju go ... (kidding!)

If maggots are needed for medical treatments, who do you call?
~~~> Seriously ... there are "medical grade" specific maggot species and your learned non-flunky physician could get them for you if your condition indicates they are needed.

Otherwise I'd call Maggot-Busters. :-)

Are there maggot delivery services in large cities? Rural areas? Where do I find these useful animals WHENEVER I need them?
~~~~> Bait shops have a healthy supply of maggots. The one we use even has a sign inside the fridge that reads: GOT MAGGOTS? ((TRUE!!!))

Do veterinarians keep references of maggot suppliers? Are the suppliers certified by a licensing board? Are maggot caretakers properly trained in maggot nutrition?
~~~~> Sorry. I am not a board certified Maggot-ologist. I am only a specialist in supplying BS. I think the closest you will get to a maggot-ologist would be someone like a forensic entomologist. George's Bait and Carryout is our local supplier.

While I have never cared for a maggot in a caring manner ... should someone come in with a maggot that needs help ... I would sincerely do my best to help! although the Cuterebra guys are kinda cute! (Ewwww!)

Closest I came was either a Monarch caterpillar with a wound on the side or a Lady Bird Beetle (Lady Bug) that my daughter found caught in a spider web. I spent 30-45 minutes freeing the tiny insect legs from the sticky web. No legs were lost and the lady bug left a happy camper.

Are the maggots provided with environmental enrichment to keep them happy when they aren't "on the job"?
Maggots are always on duty. No one could ever accuse them of being slackers. And no .... They do not do well with crate training.

Oh oh. Gotta get another dose of some good schtuff .....

o

I can't believe it. A few minutes ago, the smell of a dead animal was noticed. In this room. Yup. A dead mouse was found in an unusual spot. With a big gaping wound. Complete with moving parasites. The mouse's remaining organs were in reasonably good condition, too! I used to do thousands of mouse necropsies so I think that I'm qualified to make that judgment.

And, in the background, lurked the 5 y/o cat. Watching. Every move.

The 18 y/o cat? Too busy--sleeping. Only a few feet away.

Another charming story, sans mind-altering substances! Time for sleep! :-)

o
Maggot Mousey Moment

Ahh. Well done, Stitz! Dead mice do indeed provide your maggots with environmental enrichment to keep them happy while ON the job! See? You didn't even know they were on the clock doing their duty. No slacker maggots at Chez Stitz.

You did mouse necropsies? My business partner worked in breast cancer research for many years and he did many necropsies as well. Were your necropsies associated with something like that?

o

Thu, Aug 7, 08 at 12:01

Alas, I am only a patient, and cannot obtain... by legal means, anyway... liquid oxycodone! Suboxone will have to suffice! Not exactly the same warm fuzzy feeling, but the pain killing properties are wonderful... and that's why I take the stuff! Without some sort of opiate, I'd find it very difficult to get out of bed by myself some mornings, and I couldn't imagine what it would be like to endure my level of pain on a daily basis! It's all about quality of life!

There are never deceased rodent bodies lying around here long enough to have a fly land on them to lay eggs, never mind getting to the maggot stage! The barn cats are expert hunter/killers, but they usually eat what they kill! The most I might find lying around would be a few feathers from a bird meal, or maybe some tiny mouse feet, if I looked really hard!

Living with chronic pain, you get to learn more than you ever wanted to know about drugs and and the how, why, who, what and where of it all! If Honorary Pharmacology Degrees were being handed out, I'd probably be in line for one, too!

If I sit in this chair too much longer, I'll stiffen up again, and I'll need help moving... have a wonderful day!

o

NIH, NIH contracts, commercial contracts (mainly toxicology and pharmacology) were the bulk of my experience. So yes, something like your partner.

My interest was usually lab animal medicine and science, not the end of a study. For several yrs, I was the lone "grunt" for four veterinarians. Too many chiefs! Too many prima donnas! :-) ALL competing for my services. I had the last laugh, every day. The Department Director made my day a mandatory maximum of 8 hours!

Too bad for those parasites last night. Their carcass was neatly "bundled" into the latex glove that I used to pick it up. It's mighty HOT right now in that trash can in the blazing sunlight! Plus, the "diner" will be out of food, soon!

o
oxycodone

jodik,

My experiences with oxycodone liquid were authorized by medical professionals and dispensed by licensed pharmacies. I was a patient.

Thank you for your warm wishes. May your day be sunny & bright!

--Stitz--

o
Pain

Sorry that you have such chronic pain, Jodik. I've never tried the oxycodone. I tried darvocet, talwin and percoset for the pain I have from chronic stress fractures in my left ankle. There have been so many fractures that two of the ankle bones have fused together. The only thing that works for my ankle pain is butalbital. I guess the rest of the leg was feeling ignored so I recently started getting fractures in the tibia as well.

Have a happy pain free day everyone! :-)

C3D

o
Mousey Matters

Interesting work, Stitz! Toxicology was my absolute favourite subject in vet school. I had a 110% final average in that subject. (TRUE!) Guess I didn't care for the other classmates much? LOL!

Lots of vets think they are the very best thing ever invented but I'm sure that occurs in just about any field (or gender). Good for you that your maximum was 8 hours otherwise you'd get sucked up into the perpetual work vortex and there is no escape.

o

Fri, Aug 8, 08 at 10:59

Stitz - I only mentioned the "by legal means" in jest... in all honesty, I've never run into liquid oxycodone... although, I have had the pills, dispensed with a legal prescription. Chronic pain is no laughing matter, as I'm sure you know. But, if I don't make light of it sometimes, it gets pretty depressing!

Chicka-ddd - Thank you for your sympathy. I'm sorry that you, also, must live with pain. It's a horrible thing, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, as the saying goes. But, I try not to dwell on it, and it's my dogs and plants that keep me moving and keep life upbeat!

Once again... if I don't move soon, I'll become part of this chair! Have a great day! I'm off to check my orchids!

o
Pain in the ..... :-)

Thanks too, Jodik. I know whatcha mean about the pain. That deep gnawing pain is at times a bit much ... But ... Whatchagonnado?

I truly know any other way of being. My primary issues are severe osteoporosis as the result of being a polio survivor at the age of two weeks. My lower leg radiograph looks like a very fine spiderweb rather than real bone that could support someone.

And apparently it cannot / doesn't. Oh well.... :-)

I got my DH, children, planty things and herd of animals to make it all better.

Have a pain free weekend!

o

Sat, Aug 9, 08 at 10:32

The only thing you can do is cover the pain with medication... and pray, and keep your mind on other things.

You're very lucky to have survived polio, and at so young an age... growing up, our neighbor was a polio survivor... she spent her life in an iron lung. She was a fantastic artist, and painted beautiful scenes, using her toes to hold the brushes! A truly amazing woman!

I fight every day with Lupus and injuries sustained in an auto accident. There's some arthritis, but it's inconsequential compared to the other stuff!

I have found that detoxifying my body of harmful food chemicals and eating properly, taking echinacea to boost my immune system, and trying to keep my body moving, all help to some extent. And, as you say, family and pets and plants help a lot!

Here's to a pain-free weekend for everyone!

o
More about pain.....

Hi Jodik.

Yikes! Lupus ... That isn't one of the easier issues to have in one's life. Plus an auto accident too! :-(

One needs to deal with the hand one has been dealt, no? :-) All we can do is the best we can with our individual circumstances.

I had a double whammy at two weeks of age. Polio and maybe meningitis? No one knows for sure but I was in a coma for two weeks (tough to kill off!!) and when I woke up my right arm and left leg were paralyzed. Within one month the function of the arm returned 100%. The left leg was very weak. Polio does not cross the spinal cord and what I looked like as a child and fer sure now is a polio survivor.

Full leg brace as a child ... 7 surgeries while grade-school age ... got free of any leg brace and ~almost~ like a real person. :-) There is post polio syndrome where one loses about 1-2% of their strength each year but ... ya gotta do what ya gotta do. :-)

My prior post should have read " I truly know NO other way of being ..." and it's OK. I could have had much worse! I don't know what I may have missed and do not dwell on what may have been. This is what God wanted for me and who am I to question Him? I am no one. Just a gimpy vet covered with dog and cat hair, sometimes feathers and the occasional flea. And I'm OK with it.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Drugs help sometimes too! LOL! Strange that something for migraines (which I also have) will kill the bone pain in the left leg. NOTHING else touches it.

Lots of planty things and animals do keep the mind (what's left of mine) otherwise occupied.

Ahhhhh well. One can only try to do as well as they can. Some days are better than others. I am thankful I have such a fantastic family.

Health, no pain, nice orchidy things, no maggots and happiness to all.

Me

o

Sun, Aug 10, 08 at 14:13

Wow... and I thought I was dealt a crummy hand! I give you tons of credit... my problems didn't start until I was already an adult.

Yes, some days are better than others... and I thank God for my family, my husband and my wonderful kids and grandkids... and for the opportunity to still be able to garden and do a lot of other things... there are a lot of people a lot less fortunate than I.

I look at what I CAN do, and not what I can't do... and I seem to overdo a lot of things, because I don't know when the day will come that I won't be able to do the things I love.

I have a ton of things to be thankful for... so, I just take my pills and move forward, keep a smile on my face, and live it all like there's no tomorrow! Dog hair and all!

"Health, no pain, nice orchidy things, no maggots and happiness to all." Couldn't have said it better!

Peace!

o

"....no maggots and happiness to all."

Such a cheery thought. Sounds Christmas-y!

o

Tue, Aug 12, 08 at 20:52

I get this visual of little maggots wearing Santa hats, all lined up, singing "Joy To The World" with a high helium sort of sound! lol!

o

You can't imagine what my dog, Cheyenne, and I are going through right now. She is 18 yrs. old & in exceptional health. Doesn't have to take any meds or anything. Right around Christmas-time (2010) she had some swelling @ the top of her tail & a lump at the end of her back, near the top of her tail. Took her to the vet & the vet said she had some inflammation and a tumor. She said there was nothing she could do about the tumor because of her age, etc. and that it was most likely cancerous. Said I would have to take Chey to a vet oncologist, etc. and that she wouldn't survive it all. . . . a month later the tumor had grown, significantly - HUGE. Took her back to the vet and again, she told me - nothing could be done. Two nights ago Cheyenne bumped against a door and the tumor (mass) started to bleed from a small area. Cleansed it and covered it with gauze. Last night the mass ruptured and it is wide open, with much blood and fatty tissue hanging out all over. Called the emergency vet in our area and took her in last night @ 9:30. Nothing they could do about it right then. Examined her and sent us home with antibiotic (Cephalexin; 750 mg.) & pain med (Tramadol; 50 mg.) She is scheduled to see a surgeon on Monday morning @ 9:15. Of course they say the mass/tumor should be removed immediately. They will do bloodwork & x-ray her lungs first to see if she is strong enough for the surgery. If not, what? My family/parents don't think I should put her through the surgery and undertake the expense of it all at her age. I don't agree because other than this, she is very healthy, happy and has an active, good life. I can't fathom the thought of having to have her "put down". This is awful. Have her in a room downstairs (a workshop w/cement floor) because of the blood, etc. I slept right outside the door of the room last night because she didn't like being confined in there and was uncomfortable. Today I am sitting near the room so she can see me and know I'm here for her. Right now she is barking, wanting out. It's very hard to try & keep the mass covered. Incidentally, the mass/tumor is bigger than the biggest grapefruit you can imagine. It's HUGE. Chey is a 62 lb. mixed breed (black lab/austrailian herder). She's black w/ white on her chest and "ankle socks" w/ polka dots and has ice light-blue eyes. She's a beauty! She is like one of my kids. . . the only one I have left @ home. This is awful and I'm praying and asking God to give she and I strength, courage, and direction through it all.

o

The same thing happened to my dog. I am very interested in learning more and what happened to the tumor after this happened. This post was so helpful! I had no idea that was going on till I read this. Is your dog ok after all of this happened?

o

Oops...my post is in regards to tuezday1's post / Laura and her dog with the tumor that ruptured.

o

I feel super sad, i put my beautiful pomeranian to sleep; last year i took her to the vet because of a grape size tumor he didn't said anything about surgery because she has a heart condition and a lung problem she always was coughing; also had a small tumor in the tracheal area; with all these problems she was active, ate well, the tumor grew to a grapefruit size i took her to the vet again in Dec and he said put her to sleep she was so playful that day that i decided not now six months later still eating, active and with no signs of pain only bothered her when sleeping she tried to turn from one side to the other; unfortunatelly the tumor burst and at another vet clinic (emergency) they gave us an option of surgery but with a chance that probably she won't be able to resist it and also will be very expensive or the other alternative was putting her to sleep; she was 14 years old; looking a her beautiful face, so peaceful i kissed her and said good bye, the vet asked why the tumor wasn't removed when was smaller for sure i won't take any other dog to the old vet. I feel super sad. I don't know if i took the right decision. I also have an 18 years old Havanese with a grape size tumor; eats ok but no much activity and a 2 years old miniature pincher that my pomeranian used to fight marking their territories.

o

Marivi Marilei,

"she was 14 years old; looking a her beautiful face, so peaceful i kissed her and said good bye" Please, be happy with your 14 years.

For various reasons, I asked my veterinarians (yes, they retire, also!) to euthanize previous pets. It is always a decision made in the interests of the animals.

I currently have two dogs and three cats. I share your pain. I choose to live for the moment! Isn't that your pets' intention as well? Aren't they happiest when you are happy, too?

--Stitz--

o

My dog has a golf ball sized tumor on the top of his neck/back. The doctor said it is necrotic and it smells horrible. Cleaned it thoroughly last week and that helped. The vet said there is nothing he can do; dog is 14 yo and has arthritis fairly significant in his back legs. Vet said he could try to remove it but if it were his dog, he would not put him through that. Don't know what to think. It has not ruptured yet but is pretty gross. A bit worried because the vet really hasn't explained to me and I don't want to put my doggy to sleep unnecessarily.

o

Hi Julie - Get your dog checked out by another veterinarian if you haven't already.

o

Hi Julie - Can your vet remove it? I just read about a senior great dane that has a cyst on his back. The vet said it should be surgically removed, and if the owner's vet refused, to find another vet. Hope this helps, and best of luck with your doggy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Is My 11-Year-Old Great Dane Too Old for Surgery?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here