roll call!

cbrf4irider
18 years ago

Let's take inventory--you are here, therefore you must post:

Name or Alias;

How often you visit;

How long you have been hanging around;

Anything you want to add.

Let's say one post per person so the number of follow ups is the running tally, and you should post even if you normally just look :)

I'll start...

Comments (60)

• turkeytaker
    18 years ago

Due to boredom, procrastination, and the excuse of having something to do so I don't have to go out for lunch, I shall post.

I am Stacy, my GW name is rather apparent. I lurked here for about six months before joining over two years ago. I used to post a lot, but it's been slow recently and my life isn't that exciting.

I'm one of the 'babies' that post here, which makes things a lot of fun. The maintenance people here don't know how to fix a garbage disposal, so I'm going to buy a new one, install it, and lay the bill on the housing department desk if they don't shape up. It's going to be a NICE one, too.

Other than that, I am progressively moving north. I hate the heat and would like to live in a place where summers reached 70 at the max. I crave frozen precipitation in any form and have yet to see a white Christmas.

I am addicted to Diet Pepsi and sometimes fall off the PopTart wagon.

• tuezday1
    18 years ago

It took me a minute to figure out who LB was. It's like this, he had an uncanny ability to post, and piss me off but good, on the one or two days of the month when the "kill" switch has been turned on. I was looking for an excuse to chew someone up, and by god, he rose to the occasion every time. And it felt so good.

His comments about using chemicals (my favorite being Bayer) as labeled, and the misuse of them by the intellectually-challenged, unable-to-read-"user" -instructions-for -comprehension, environmentally irresponsible scumbag public has become even funnier over time. I started looking at labels on different chemicals and other products not specifically sold for plants. The same active ingredient that is in Bayer Tree and Shrub is also the active ingredient in Advantage flea and tick for dogs. I've found it used as the active chemical in several different products (unfortunately, like usual I don't recall the others at the moment). The Bayer Tree and Shrub has the same active chemical as the Bayer Rose product. Now tell me, if a chemical ingredient is used in multiple applications, crossing various product and use lines, how the hell can you misuse it? Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to put the Tree and Shrub pesticide on my dogs for fleas, but switching back and forth between the product for roses and that for trees, why not? They are both quite expensive and the rose stuff is even more expensive because it's labeled for "roses". I'd hate to think what certain products would cost if specifically labeled for use in orchids. I use the stuff on trees, shrubs, roses, orchids etc., I'm not buying the product specifically for roses, as that certainly doesn't meet my needs and the product for trees fits all my needs.

I've been ranting a lot lately.

I'd love to get in on the political/economics discussion but since I have a degree in econ, and I've lately been verbose beyond the normally accepted constraints of forums, I'll keep my mouth shut. It's fairly safe to say, I'd write a response acceptable as a masters thesis, if I get started.

I typed all that and never answered the original posters question. Later I'll write another novella.

Moi

• dottyinduncan
    18 years ago

I started to post as Dotty because no one ever called me that and I thought I could remain anonymous. Fat chance. I am now called Dotty to my face as well as online. Not my fave: I am Dorothy. Been growing orchids 8 years, keep experimenting with things I learn here. Next summer will be a "cym in horsepoo" experiment. Found the dark side about a year ago and lurk almost every day. I live in the best place in the world - Vancouver Island and enjoy reading posts from people all over the world. It is the only way I can find out what real people are thinking about their home and country without having to grope through the spin CNN or my local TV puts on things.
    I have a nasty form of Arthritis and in the past 3 years have had both hips and both knees replaced, so my orchid hobby and spending time on the puter has been important to me. BTW, I'm in quite good shape, no cane, no limp and I've taken up golf this summer, and I've even been dancing. The medical posts are quite interesting to me. My ops cost me nothing except the time I had to wait to get them done. We have medicare which has its own problems and some of us go to our good neighbour the USA to get ops done.

• varmint
    18 years ago

Hey Kev,
    Ooops. I know you weren't being nasty. I wish we had emoticons. I didn't mean to come across testy. I have a really dry sarcastic sense of humor and it doesn't come across well on email or in forums sometimes. I thought my orchid addiction phrases were clever but stuff like that is never clever unless you can insert one of those winky eyed funny faces from instant messenger to soften it up a bit.

-Mimi
    Aahhhhh! Back to lurking now....lol!!

• clairewags
    18 years ago

Ah Mimi, I got sucked into a whole flame war over a comment I made that everyone who knew me on the forum- or didn't take it to seriously- knew was joking. But I didn't put the old :) after it, so I was making mean spirited comments. Sheesh. I haven't seen that person around in a loooong time. Whew.

Pet Peeve for me: song remakes that sound exactly like the original. Some 'yelling' band- those guys who sing normal and then start to scream to emphasize their angst- re-made "the Boys of Summer" by Don Henley- awful. All the guy did was yell instead of sing- the melody and every thing else was exactly the same. Darlin Nikki from Prince was redone. Yuck. Don't touch the little man's songs- you will never come close.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    18 years ago

Once again, I am breaking the rules of this thread. Mimi - just wanted to make sure. I agree, we need emotions. They make life so simple. Wonder if the powers that be have considered that?

You really MUST delurk yourself.

• varmint
    18 years ago

Nicole's going to kill me us. Oh well, do we ever listen to the rules? lol!!

Clair, I so agree. If you are going to cover a song at least try to make it better. If not, what's the point? I loved that pschodelic furs cover they used in the movie 50 first dates. Genius! Cover the song and sample the original cigarette smoking lead singer!

Oh... and as long as I am ruining this thread....

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:135602}}

• cbrf4irider
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey rules were meant to be broken ... though it seemed like a good idea, i just wanted to give everyone an excuse to post, and I was curious about how often people stop by and how many people lurk. I'm really not upset at all ;) MMmmmm motorcycles. That's what I miss out on when I live in the city.

We've been hijacked!

• Ginge
    18 years ago

I'm just Gin , Have been hanging around about 4 years or more ? not sure .
    I check in around 2 times a day .
    My pet peeve is ...I bought an Orchid what is it ! no picture or description .
    I used to post a lot , not a lot of time to sit down latley . Gin :)

• mrbreeze
    18 years ago

I'm Mike
    I joined in September of '03 and I can only be called a lurker here cuz I always forget the dark side exists :(
    I do remember some of the 'glory days' that kevin was referring to. I'm not sure if things are so different now...or if we're all more used to orchids so the topics aren't as interesting as they were a couple years ago...

I forget what else is supposed to be in the post... but I'm hecka thankfull for GW. Through it, I've gotten to know some of the coolest people I've ever known, learned a lot, and had fun taunting Lance B.

Stack 'em if ya got 'em!
    MB

• tuezday1
    18 years ago

I've posted two replies, since my last one, and none have shown up. Have I been Disney'd?

I'll just see if this one actually gets posted. With the new ads, iVillage might just be having issues with the fact I won't let them get too cozy with my computer, so they can bombard me with ads that won't execute cause I have firefox and they can't get me. Nana, nana, nana, nanner, nanner, nanner.

It's been nice guys, but I knew this day would come.

I'm on IE right now,it will be interesting to see if that is,in fact the problem, Firefox thwarts their attempts to make a few pennies off me, and it infuriates the ivillage servers.

Ah, screw 'em.

• cbrf4irider
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I use firefox and it seems to work fine ... maybe I'm missing out on some "features" but what I don't know won't hurt me :)

Oh yeah, and my pet peeve is "quotes" when there's no need for them. I've been annoying myself a lot lately.

• greenprof
    18 years ago

i am kevin. i usually add the kevin b as there is another kevin here regularly (that sogo grape is still one of my favorite phals, kevin) i am hopelessly addicted to plants, though orchids give me the biggest rush. i have been coming here for about 3 years or so. i remember the good old days when mikey the orchid fairy came here. it is quieter than it used to be. i visit here about daily but post not so often. i do try to post pictures weekly.

for all those that post pictures, thank you for posting them. looking at the daily orchid pictures is a treat for me.

pet peeve (one of many): those that attack the person and not the issue. o, and oil companies that are posting record profits from katrina and rita windfalls. and anything 'chief small trees' supports.

kevin b

• garlicgrower
    18 years ago

Hello Folks
    I'm a frequent - but not daily- visitor.
    What was the other part of the question ? ;-) Can't remember...
    Not only do I like orchids, but tomatoes, garlic and mostly things I can eat:-). I prefer plants that smell good, too. Get a kick out of trading seeds via mail...never come home from the local orchid society sale empty handed, prefer watering plants with horse manure tea...

Rambling now, so, I'll bow out ;-)
    Cheers
    Maryanne in WMass

• ladybug_ok
    18 years ago

I'm Maggie. I've been coming here for a bit over 3 years. I wouldn't have 150+ plants if it weren't for all the terrific enablers here! Ummm, not sure if I should thank or curse them? hehe I mostly lurk as I find I learn more with my fingers silent than when typing. ;P

Thanks to all my mentors here, I actually enjoy my orchids now!

Now, back to luking.....

• sandyq
    18 years ago

Hello, I'm SandyQ from Cleveland, Ohio. I stop by several times a week and have been here for over four years. This is my favorite forum; I've learned so much from everyone over the years, especially Gin and Alberta, who convinced me to bump the light LOL!!! :-) I'm trying to keep the indoor collection to around 100 plants just to keep everything manageable... until I build a greenhouse.. heh heh Sandy

• shaunsarctic_orchids
    18 years ago

Hi, I'm Shaun from Yellowknife, NWT, Canada. I check the forum almost daily, mostly the gallery though. I sometimes lurk on the darkside. I miss the Orchid Fairy, some of the squirrel threads had me in tears.

Shaun

• jane__ny
    18 years ago

Hi, I'm Jane and am pretty much a lurker although I enjoy posting on the Orchids forum. Been a member of Gardenweb almost since it's inception but was 'Disneyed' by Spike over a incident on Organic Gardening many years ago. So I had no choice but to lurk. Got back in his graces last year and was allowed to join again. Been a gardner most of my life and grow anything and everything, including orchids. Found this forum during my lurking years and discovered that orchids had some different requirements then the rest of my house plants. Despite my ignorance, they still suvived and rewarded me with flowers which I rarely got from tropical indoor plants. Decided you got 'more bang for your buck' with orchids and wound up getting more and more. You all know the rest of the story.

Jane

• dottyinduncan
    18 years ago

I guess I'm slow: what's the origon of "Disneyed"?

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

Back in the day, when people were banned they were automatically redirected to the Disney web site when they tried to visit Gardenweb. It was also referred to as "visiting the mouse" and "taking a ride on the teacups"

• albertan
    18 years ago

Have been around for numerous years and visit the forum five or six times a week. During my recent hospitaliztions my wonderful forum "family" were a great comfort to me sending countless prayers and wishes for recovery. I have MUCH to be thankfull for at Thanksgiving--and all year!

• marquisella
    18 years ago

I used to be Sterling 3 until I too was disneyed. I didn't get it for a long time. I had the audacity to write and complain about all the pop ups so they zapped me so I could only read.

I just re-subed with my new name.

I usually visit daily, but not always. Don't post much, have been here for about 3 years, and I too miss Mike!

I hate to say it, but it's not like the old days when there were "heated" discussions! But I sure learned a lot.

M

• dottyinduncan
    18 years ago

AFter asking about being "Disneyed" I thought perhaps Spike had a sense of humour and it referred to being permanently frozen like poor old Walt. What happened to Mike, I miss him too? When I first came on the site, he was giving away orchids and I couldn't believe anyone would do such a wonderful thing. Especially at Christmastime.

• cbarry
    18 years ago

OK, I'm Carolyn, and I don't stop by here as often as I visit the other areas of the orchid forum. (I've actually been lurking, watching this thread, and finally feel guilty enough to post).

I once got a polite warning about an inappropriate post, which was moved to here from the main area, because it was not orchid related. True, but it was intended to extend kindness to other regulars on the forum...'nuff said.

So I love it here, have been a member for about 1.5 yrs, and fear that I visit way too much from work. And that I'm tracked doing so. But I work in IT, so I know for a fact that they don't track us as much as some of the rest of the company. But I primarily use a PC (many in IT, incl myself, also have UNIX boxes, which don't have the company spyware). So in the end, I don't know how much big brother really knows about my travels.

I am sure that if they are watching, and they want to locate the person visiting all of the orchid sites, that they will come for me!

Carolyn

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Mike's alive and well, just not here. I have to call the dear boy....He had a computer failure I hear, and decided that he should curtail all his internetting in favor of spending time with his family, I hear. So...his virtual and almost virtual friends have to call him on the phone rather than look for his posts...

As most of you are aware, he got banned so many times here, he just gave up, but he doesn't post much elsewhere either.

oh yeah. Chocolate. One of my obsessions is chocolate...note, I said "ONE". Lord knows I have many...fabric, color, texture....anywhoo...

• jane__ny
    18 years ago

In the 'good ole days' Spike was very fussy about everyone being on good behavior and polite. I got caught up in a group of members who were upset when the forums were going to be paid forums. The forums were free back in the beginning. When the protest started to spread many people were banned, including me.I never tried to register under a new name. Just lurked until I found this forum and wanted to post. After emailing him, he made me promise to 'behave myself' and let me back. Funny thing is I prefer to pay now to avoid the ads. There were hardly any ads back then. It's amazing how GW has changed since Spike left. I actually miss him.

Jane

• margad
    18 years ago

Been around for several years. I wonder what has happened to the old timers. I lurk and occasionally post.

• ladybug_guam
    18 years ago

Name: Ana
    How often you visit: almost every day, don't post as often as I used to do, mainly lurking.
    How long you have been hanging around: member since 2003, visiting for many years.
    Anything you want to add: This is the best forum I ever came across, specially the people, I also go to other forums here, and enjoy all of them.
    To those people that complaint about syntax and grammar issues... I'm very sorry... you see, English is my fifth language, born in Argentina (Spanish) didn't spoke it till I went to school, since my Dad is Ukrainian and Mom is Russian and Dad went to Polish school, since Poland took over Ukraine, however, they did teach us to read, write and speak in Ukrainian, Russian and Polish, before we went to school and learn Spanish (still speak them when we are with our parents).... we moved to USA, 35 years ago, and went to my last yr of Hi school and then into College.
    So, sometimes it gets difficult, specially when you are in a hurry, typing away whatever comes to your mind, to also keep grammar rules in check. So, for that, I'm sorry :)
    Ana

• cbrf4irider
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ana, you are fortunate to have such a diverse background. I am the first generation in my family to speak English as a first language and I am ashamed I know so little French. Nicole

• bada
    18 years ago

well, I figured out who LB was...thanks mrb.

hmmmmm...

I'm suprised I've never been disneyed, ever. not even a warning. which is weird, with all the crap I dish out. lol. actually, I'm thinking why mimi has never been disneyed? (especially after she always raids my posts...grrrrr...)

Personally, I know it's because spike knew I've been sweat'n him... I always thought he's a hotty. oh yeah. oh yeah. This ivillage stuff makes me feel so feminine... ahhhhhhhh...
    anyways...

actually, just today, I got a warning for using the word, b#stard. isn't that funny?

I've been here and there for a while...hmmm...a few years? not sure. Sometimes I don't have time, but I visit when I can. anyways, I love plants, all sorts of plants, but like greenprof, orchids give me the biggest rush...

does anyone want a miltonidium hawaiian sunset?

hey nicole! I don't speak my own family's language either. sucks, right?

bada

• varmint
    18 years ago

Ahhhhhh!! So the truth comes out. You started posting conversations on the trade page to hide from me!! You can never ever hide from me, muhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
    Admit it. You love the attention.

The Bada groupie,
    Mimi

• tuezday1
    18 years ago

A bada groupie? Good lord what next.

I don't speak my family's language either but that happens in most families around the time the kids hit 6th grade.

Personally, I happen to think the ability to speak numerous languages is the epitome of sophistication and a skill I wish I had.

Laura

• bada
    18 years ago

laura, I believe you have enough skills already...uh-huh...

now who's the brat, mimi? :0-

bada

• varmint
    18 years ago

Hehehehe.....

• bada
    18 years ago

you should be banned...

(did I mention this already?)

bada

• varmint
    18 years ago

You just want to hug an oversized mouse and visit Cinderella's castle. :0)

You know, they say it is the happiest place on earth.

• lunaticvulpine
    18 years ago

Name: Gaston
    Alias: that stupid kid in ca (depends on whose asking)
    How often you visit: used to every day now imp cramming (imp suppressed to see no one even noticed my absentee-ism not that it matters. also imp still trying to sort through the orchids that im going to dump on other people.
    how long have you been here?: well if you count high school since 2001 some time I vaguely remember every one hating a daisy rice or some one or other and trading with a .Hamilton. Or some one a miltonopsis if that gives any
    Clue as to my history here but prolly not.
    my grammar is bad and my arguments usually only point fingers unless i dont feel lazy uhm oh and dont worry bada and nicole. cause... i speak neither of my families languages :) and i dont care. spider rolls are good i love inari sushi and menudo,machaca and huevos rancheros are an excellent breakfast. the only people ill ever feel sorry for are my future kids as theyÂll be even farther out in the ethnic spectrum. once again i think i am the only one who could go missing with out any one noticing :)

• Perfection_Is
    18 years ago

:chadwick:
    here (well, in the regular forums) almost daily
    currently addicted to cocorosie.

• varmint
    18 years ago

Ahhhh Gaston, we still love you.

Don't feel bad. I went into lurk mode for nearly four months and nobody said anything until I unlurked for a minute.
    -Mimi

• arthurm
    18 years ago

Now Mimi, we all go into lurk mode from time to time. No one ever misses me when i go into lurk mode, no one ever says "where's that cranky old guy from Austria gone".
    Actually, i am a living example of never volunteer. I am computing the Annual results for the benching at our local Society. Sounds easy? You get 3 points for first place in a Class, 2 points for second place, 1 point for third place, 1 Class point for you entering 1 or more plants in a Class. There are 40 exhibitors, 1400 plants, 30 Classes, 6 points for Champion orchid.etc.etc.etc. Only a committee or many committees could come up with such a cumbersome system Nearly finished. Can put my feet up and do nothing soon...Perhaps even send an email to Lisa.

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Actually, Arthur, I do wonder where that crabby old Aussie has gone from time to time.....and YOU STILL HAVEN'T SENT ME YOUR eMAIL ADDY again....there have been times when I wanted to ask you a question and I can't since you hid your addy from gardenweb.

At least you acknowledged it. lol.

I'm almost done painting.....just a little more to go...yyyeeeeeeehaw!

• lunaticvulpine
    18 years ago

ha bad nah i just like drawing attention.. for what its worth. but i have missed posting. just not much to post about.. unless you take into considertion that im still pursuing those obscurities and what not.... but hey ill prolly start posting more im taking it easy on the schedual for winter term. err my question is what ever happen to the uhm skulky dude from santa barbra?

Gaston

• Ima_Celery
    18 years ago

Hi all.

I am Bob. I generally do not have a chance to visit the site more than once a week, if that.

I am a professional GW/Orchid Forum lurker.

I primarily grow species orchids of Central and South America with a few other orchid types thrown in the mix. Right now eight of the species orchids are either blooming or spiking.

Bob

• Way2Old2Care
    18 years ago

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays.
    I'm a Newbie to orchids. Have 2 small Phals and 2 standard Cymbidiums, plus 2 small plants claiming to be Phals but are polypodiums (Is that the correct term?). All are NOIDs.
    First time I've been here in this forum. I'm looking forward to learning a lot from all of you.

Way2Old2Care :-)

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

Way2old, could they be Paphiopedilums? In any case, Welcome!

• Way2Old2Care
    18 years ago

Hi Shady_character,
    Thanks for the welcome. I have no clue on the mis-labeled Phals. I guess it's going to be a real surprise if they ever bloom! One of the tiny Phals (the real one) is about 1/4" BELOW two tiny true leaves. No roots. It was tossed out... root rot. I just potted it in a thimble with nothing but damp pea-sized redwood bark and nothing else. Is there a chance for this one? I didn't cover it but placed it on top of another pot that has a true Phal that is doing good. Am I wasting my time? Should I post this in the Orchid main forum instead? If so, sorry to post here.
    TIA,
    Way2Old2Care :-)

• michigoose
    18 years ago

naw, if you've got the space, nothing is a waste of time. You can learn from the experiments. If it succeeds, then well and good, if you have to compost it, well you still have compost. Heck, I am always amused when a hijack actually takes the dark side to the discussion side...kind of ironic!

• carleen_a
    18 years ago

ok - late as usual, I'll take this back to the original thread, sort of.
    Carleen - live in Australia about 20 minutes away from Arthur where the weather is perrrfect at the moment apart from the fact that we still need more rain!
    I've been coming here for about 3-4 years & it's the main reason I have any orchids alive. I used to lurk more often than post, especially on this side to get a laugh. Things seemed to go pretty quiet though, plus I moved house (again), went overseas (Italy - yum) and got sick in pretty much that order so I haven't been near this place for about 4 months or more even. I also have a new boss at work which has made things somewhat unsettled - you know, the "I'm the new guy with all the big ideas which I have to put into action immediately to justify the squillion dollars I'm being paid" syndrome.

Hey Arthur - yes I'm alive!! I've also changed internet providers & lost your email address. If I email the WSOS will it get to you? I intend to visit the January meeting - my Stanhopea has 4 spikes which should be open by then - if they haven't actually come & gone!!

Pet peeve? Politically correct Scrooges who won't allow things like Christmas decorations & carols for fear of upsetting those religions who don't celebrate Christmas. Why can't we all just grow up & get along?

Merry Christmas everyone!

• arthurm
    18 years ago

Hi, and Christmas greetings Carleen. Please send your new address to the WSOS site so i can send you the December and future bulletins. I also have your Christmas pressie plant (everyone gets a plant at Christmas) in store, so i'll bring it to the January meeting.

Happy peak retail season as someone suggested on a post here doesn't convey much joy.

• carleen_a
    18 years ago

will do Arthur - thanks & look after my baby! See you in January
    Carleen

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County