Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

AVG Anitvirus going away - the free one anyway

aachenelf z5 Mpls
17 years ago

I don't go over to the 'puter forum, but I may have to I guess. Does anyone else use AVG Free and did you get the message about it being discontinued on Jan 15?

So, are there any other good free ones out there worth trying?

K

Comments (7)

• turkeytaker
    17 years ago

Avast is pretty good. I haven't had any trouble with it, and there's a cool little voice that tells you 'antivirus software has been updated.'

I use it in conjunction with hijacthis and ad-aware, but those aren't technically antiviruses, just scanners for nasties. hijackthis is really good and there is now a site for analyzing your logs that has gotten really good (hijackthis.de) so you don't have to analayze them yourself or rely on malicious geeks to do it.

Stacy

• orchidann
    17 years ago

A free version still exists. I just updated to version 7.5.

Here is a link that might be useful: Free AVG

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Stacy

I did do a search on the 'puter forum and a number of people did recommend Avast, so I think that's what I'll probably try. At least I have until Jan to decide. I really liked AVG. When I first switched from Norton it immediately found a worm Norton had missed.

Orchidann - Yes, the free version is still there, but according to the message I got from AVG today, it won't be supported after Jan 15. You'll have to buy it.

• cajunbird
    17 years ago

aachenelf this is from the AVG Free site.
    "New Free Anti-Virus

GRISOFT is announcing a new version of the AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition.
    This new 7.5 version with improved performance and full compatibility with the latest Windows Vista version is available.

Users that are using AVG Free 7.1 will be provided with a specific dialog, within the next few weeks, with the opportunity to choose the right option fulfilling their needs.

AVG Free 7.1 version will be discontinued on 15th of Jan 2007."

Just download and install the new 7.5 free version.

Anna

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    17 years ago

as I just posted on the 'computer forum:

Thanks. I sure hope I read their notice wrong. Maybe it was too early in the morning or something. (excuses, excuses)

• tuezday1
    17 years ago

Hey, this would be a real bummer. I haven't gotten an email from them, but then I've used AVG for years and I'm sure they have the old email address.

There is a free version of Panda available too.

I'll have to find a few minutes to look into this but I'm assuming, since this discussion hasn't gone any further, Anna is correct.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I've been hanging out on the computer forum and it looks like this isn't true. A lot of folks have received the message from AVG and at first glance it does appear that the free version is going away. A few of the computer people checked into it and said it isn't true. There will be a free version. I guess AVG is just trying to get more people to buy their service. If for some reason that isn't true, there are other good, free antivirus programs.