Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidzrule

I feel cheated

orchidzrule
16 years ago

Hey all, I was all set to respond to the "Do you peek at the latest posted Phal topic?" thread and discovered it had reached the maximum number of allowable responses. Well, what gives??? I feel cheated. I wanted to say "Galahs & drongos are BOTH birds." Guess I'll just have to accept I missed out.

Pouting,

Rob

Comments (16)

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

Dude!

I think grief counselors are pretty common, so you can always find one if it gets to be too much.

• scott361
    16 years ago

I'm having a drink for my recent trauma!
    (Actually, more like two or three!)
    Care to join me?

Which reminds me...
    I forgot to let out the chooks today! ;~)

Scott

• orchidzrule
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Scott,

Yeppers, will definitely join you.

Rob

• orchidzrule
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Stacy!

Thanks so much for the grief counseling advice. I think I'm *gradually* getting over it. Tough, I know, but I *am* a survivor. (Unlike some of my 'chids, alas. Several masdies got badly neglected over the summer and are now in orchid heaven.)

Rob

• komi
    16 years ago

Do they let bulbos in orchid heaven?

• scott361
    16 years ago

Bulbos ARE proof that there is an orchid heaven! ;~)
    I guess that they would be Archbulbos
    None of mine have ever smelled bad, yet!
    But, not all of them have bloomed for me either.
    One of my best growers smell like coconut.
    Yum!
    And...many massies smell just horrible, too.

• arthurm
    16 years ago

Just for the record. In Aussie slang a Drongo is a useless, stupid person. But the word may not have come from the antics of a bird. An entry in google suggests that the word may have come from the hapless racing record of a horse (that/which) was named Drongo.

I never use Crikey or Cobber but have used Drongo a few times in everyday speech.

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

I think all of my bulbos head south...

• scott361
    16 years ago

Frankly, my dear, you are South!
    Relatively speaking.

Rhett B

• orchidzrule
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Komi, I certainly think Bulbos should be let into orchid heaven. This group is a recent discovery for me, and I'm liking the one I have (Cirr lepidum), and want more! As a result of my recent aquaintance with them, I have not been personally responsible for sending any to orchid heaven!

Arthur, just the word "drongo" summons up the image of a stupid, useless person, I've gotta admit. For a look at a sample of the actual bird, check out this link:
    http://www.ejphoto.com/racquettailed_drongo_page.htm

And Scott & Stacy, y'all are south! (Please note my use of the word y'all.)

Rob

• arthurm
    16 years ago

This thread has drifted onto orchids. Heaven forbid.
    Have to laugh, over on discussions there are some posts complaining about the price of eggs.
    Try $5 a dozen for free range eggs and somewhere between A$1.30 and $1.40 a litre for petrol and that is still cheap by world standards. Try telling a petrol head that petrol has to be expensive to save wasting it on great big juice guzzlers. Sorry about not trying to convert Litres to Gallons, cannot remember if the US Gallon is bigger or smaller than the imperial gallon.
    I have Bulb. rothschildianum. Up close and personal, the flowers smell dreadful.

I've given you Dag, Daggy, Galah and Drongo. cannot think of any more useful words.

Went to see the John Williams Concert at the Sydney Opera House last night. With Arnie Roth conducting the SSO. Just great and not one person coughed as they do at concerts where they play music not intended for us plebs.

• komi
    16 years ago

"Petrol head" or "gasoline head"

That thread over there is also notable for the fact that Kevin actually managed a typo.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

Free range eggs? I'm not even talking about the price of those if I could even find them. I'm talking grocery store - chuck full of chemicals, antibiotics etc. - type eggs. It wasn't that long ago you could buy them for a bit over $1.

Typo? Me? I'm not even going to look for it. I think that means I'm getting better.

• arthurm
    16 years ago

I didn't see the typo, have to have a close look when i get a bit of time.

How about REV head?

• orchidzrule
    Original Author
    16 years ago

>>Typo? Me? I'm not even going to look for it. I think that means I'm getting better.>>

Kevin, sorry to hear you've been sick, but glad if you think you're getting better. Getting better--unlike the orchids I more or less killed.

I was *SORT* of thinking about starting a thread along the lines of "What have you sent to orchid heaven recently" but didn't quite have the nerve. (Besides, not sure whether it belongs here on the dark side or on the other side.)

Rob

• michigoose
    16 years ago

Heeheehee. I buy eggs from a local girl for $1.00 doz. Free range brown eggs. :) JUMBOs. And my husband asked me why they were so special...you can tell WHO does the shopping around here!