Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judybird2014

adopting animals

Judybird2014
16 years ago

I so encourage any of you who can afford a pet and have the time to sacrifice to adopt some puppies who are likely to be gassed.

We have had the best 4 months since we decided to take in 3 little pups, 1 boy and 2 girls. I've read where it lowers your BP to pet an animal; well, when you've got several looking at you with such love and sweetness, it does your whole body good! (Plus, it has been great therapy for Robert getting over his illness.)

And, honestly, 3 little pups aren't much more trouble than 1;-)

So, if you've considered it, or someone you know has been talking pet adoption, do it~

it will change your life for the better~ they seem to know they've been rescued; it's the coolest thing!

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!!!

Comments (12)

• tuezday1
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We got our heathen of a cat off the streets of tony Winter Park. Fortunately, she must not have been there more than a minute, as she certainly doesn't act like she was a stray.

Judy, you've had 3 puppies for 4 months and you already lie like a dog. "And, honestly, 3 little pups aren't much more trouble than 1" Who are you kidding? It's like kids, a second doesn't just double the work, it goes up exponentially. Does anyone know the exact multiplier? I'd love to know what it is.

All joking aside, I do donate to the central Florida SPCA as they have fabulous programs here. I was so impressed I couldn't not become a member. Spay and neuter clinics that are open 6 days a week, extended hours, so there is no excuse to not be able to get there during hours. Income is irrelevant. They also offer low cost basic health care and even flea and tick treatment. The only requirement to pet health care is that the pet is fixed. They also spay and neuter feral cats. As a member I can get reduced rates but go to the local vet instead. It costs $20 to neuter and $30 to spay (I did have the cat spayed there, but everyone pays the same price for that).

Okay Judy, just wait to see what three puppies think of the presents under the tree. Hehehehe. And lets not forget the turkey carcass in the trash. Have you ever seen what a puppy can do with a 6 pack of toilet paper? I had no idea a 6 pack could cover such large areas and to what depth. Oh and teething, plan on redecorating next year. If you join Petsmart's awards program, every time you buy a bag of Science Diet you get a $5.00 gift card. Helps with the cost of a case of Frisbees and tennis balls. We find the lids to 5 gallon buckets work better and last longer. They are almost indestructible. Oh, and get a tennis ball chucker. You want to throw those balls as far as possible to help wear the little devils out and get them out of your hair for as long as possible, before returning with the ball. It's really evil if you chuck the balls down hill, especially if they can ricochet off something at the bottom.

Puppies, gotta love 'em. The reason puppies are so darn cute is they wouldn't live past 6 months if they weren't.

• Judybird2014
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laura,we had 'intended' for them to be outside dogs, we have an acre fenced in the back, but since they've wormed their way into our hearts, we let them inside sometimes. We barricade them off in the foyer with leftover vinyl lattice. I bought one of those 'cool' beds that holds them up off the floor about 6 inches, web netting type bed, 3x5 ft, holds all 3 just perfectly.

They only come in when it's really hot or cold; although since their little operations week before last they've been in every night, but they are so good about going right in through the LR straight to the foyer and all jump on their bed while I close them up with the lattice. (they know they'll get a treat immediately..) Robert made some neat little feet for the lattice to set in, I put down 3 peepee pads in there and their water bowl. They're fast asleep after a treat or 2 and some love.

They sleep the night through from 8pm until 6am, when we get up. They're just adorable. Losing their teeth now, but sticking with the chew toys to take that frustration out on. Next we'll have to start brushing their new teeth; that'll be a hoot.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

Judy,

I don't own a pet other than the 8 goldfish I've had for god knows how many years, but my sister always adopts her dogs from the rescue places. She goes the opposite way though. She only gets the old ones (usually with health issues) that no one else wants. It can be challenging at times, but the rewards are so worth it. I even get to babysit sometimes. It's truly amazing how some of these so called rejects can just spring to life when given a home where they get the attention and medical care they need.

I just go all squishy around dogs. The best critters ever invented.

K

• Judybird2014
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kev, you've got an angel for a sister, bless her heart!

This was in an email from that delightful Cat O'Reilly this am, entitled, Trampolines and why they're dangerous, too cool!
    {{gwi:135672}}

• tuezday1
    16 years ago

See, the little devils have already broken into the house. Next they'll take over the house and your bed. May as well stop fighting it now, as you won't win the battle. First buy a bigger bed or kick Robert out or you can all learn to squeeze in. I've had dogs teach me bed "manners" by nipping my feet if I rolled over and kicked them during the night or didn't give them enough room on the pillow, so they proceeded to sit on my head while they did their nightly "housekeeping". It's lovely listening to a dog snort and huff and puff in your ear while chewing an itch on their leg. Remy, didn't take to the bed, as Sunny would bite him if he rolled on her in the middle of the night too. Nothing like breaking up a dog fight, in bed, in the dark, in the middle of the night. Sometimes they miss and get you. Remy, though, when he was a puppy and didn't believe in sleeping in, would jump on the bed whenever he decided we had had enough beauty rest for the night, and sit on our heads. Nothing like the smell of dog arse first thing in the morning. Now he doesn't sit on our heads but stands or lays on top of us and doesn't seem to understand why I can't get up with a 50 pound dog laying on top of me. The harder I try to wiggle out from under him, to let him out, the more he thinks it's a game and licks my face or barks cause I'm not getting up fast enough to let him out.

A dog will find a way to embarrass and humble you every chance they get. Lose all pretense. It's not worth the humiliation. And you've got three conspiring against you. Now, I know you've had dogs before, don't recall if you had multiples or not. They do conspire to embarrass their humans, when they aren't bickering with each other over something or have another distraction. The minute they get bored, watch out. They'll be comin' to get you.

If you haven't tried it yet, take all three of them to Petsmart at once, by yourself. I always wondered if anyone live was watching the security videos as I walked into the store with two leashes wrapped around my legs from different directions and the dogs pulling in opposite directions. It's a good idea to walk them around the parking lot for a few minutes to make sure they aren't planning to pretend they aren't housebroken while in the store. You've got little dogs so you don't have to worry about this, but watch them around the Frisbee and tennis ball bins in the front of the store. A jumper can jump in to pick out his own Frisbees and then try to convince everyone in the store to throw it for him.

Would you believe my dogs are basically very well mannered? It's the truth, they just have their moments, when they live to embarrass me to death.

I keep forgetting I only have one dog, at the moment.

Kevin, yes, your sister is a saint. They aren't with us nearly long enough without adopting older, ill dogs. It's too hard for me to deal with them in old age knowing that "decision" is right around the corner. I still haven't gotten over the last one I had to put down, mostly cause I woke up one morning and found myself face to face with the issue, rather than having time to deal with it first, even though she was 12.

Yup, love the trampoline pic.

• qylliam
    16 years ago

I need to have those deer in my yard.....

• Judybird2014
    Original Author
    16 years ago

here's how the little darlings looked early this morning:
    {{gwi:135673}}

the vet says they'll top off at 20-25 lbs, cocker/terrier mix.. I put a new blanket in last night, far right, so Lacey claimed it right away, I think they liked having more room. (I put bricks on the peepads so they wouldn't play with them.)

Oliver, the boy on left, is the most sedate puppy I've ever met; he wants to be held a LOT, yet he was the most afraid of humans~ they've got such different personalities, fun to watch them grow. Have I SOLD anyone yet?

• penelope14
    16 years ago

Dear Judy,

All of the cats I've had as an adult have been throwaways. My latest, Amber, was rescued after 4.5 hours under a Penske moving truck. She went up into the engine compartment and I had to call someone from the hardware store at 9 p.m. on a Sunday (they closed at 4 p.m.) to open the hood.

I agree that adoption is one of the best things a person can do for not only the animal but themselves. Yes, pets take care and time, but what doesn't that's worth anything?

I really love my cats and I wouldn't give them up for anything. They know how to make me laugh and lighten up my life.

Penelope

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

OMG that look in Oliver's eyes has me melted on the floor! I want him.

K

• Judybird2014
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Penelope, we've paid big bucks for puppies; poodles and yorkie.. they were/are precious and dear to our hearts, but the dogs and cats we've rescued seem to realize they were 'saved'. They're wise beyond their years, an amazing thing to experience. You are so right about them lifting you up everyday.

Kev, that's funny because the vet on wheels said Oliver had 'the best look in his eyes'; she couldn't stop staring at him.

Oh, and I hope Laura sees this, you know we have Dixie the genius parrot, 20 yrs old.. and we had Friday, the yellow lab, who died last year at 14. When we brought in Oliver for Dixie to see, she immediately said, in my voice, "Hey, Friday".. I burst out crying, Robert got a giant lump in his throat. I guess she thought Friday was back;-)

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

Judybird, what a wonderful message! Adopting an animal is such a noble thing to do. After working with homeless animals, I cannot imaging ever buying a dog, whatever the breed...

I have 10 cats, all accumulated thanks to people dumping them off..some came as grown ups, some as little babies; some as wild ferals and some as sweet lap cats. I love every single one of them :)

Here is one my "dumped in the backyard" kitties..she was so small, and already with almost severed tail (which fell off over Thanksgiving holidays two years ago, before we could get her to the vet...later, more of her tail had to be amputated- this time, the vet did it :))

{{gwi:135674}}

I volunteer at Spay/Neuter Clinic in Tampa, for feral once-a-month high volume event..We fix 50-90 cats a day. You see so much pain and struggle that these guys go through while living on the streets, and it feels good to give them antibiotics, clean their wounds and abscesses, and stop the vicious cycle of more unwanted babies. Spaying/neutering and adopting seems like the only way to go (along with laws to make people more responsible for the way they treat animals)

Lovely puppies! Cannot wait to adopt a dog - one day :)
    Olya

• Judybird2014
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Olya, that is a fabulous picture, she is a gorgeous cat (and wondering what mama's doing with the cam;-)

Thank you so much for your effort, I know it's heartbreaking at times.

You, along with all of the volunteers at the shelters, are the real heroes and are in my prayers always!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz