Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

South of the Border, down Mexico way.

orchidnick
15 years ago

I live in LA but 4 of my grown children live in San Diego. Further more the San Diego Chargers entertain the faithful there, all the more reason for me to go there frequently.

I have a deteriorating crown on a molar and was told I need a new crown and a root canal, wonderful news just before the season of joy! Since I only have Medicare and the elderly obviously don't need such things as dental care, eye glasses or hearing aids, none of which is covered, I had to look at the cost of being tortured.

$800 for the crown and $1,200 for the root canal (Molar with 3 roots) for a total of $2,000. Wunderbar!

Now to check out Mexican Dentistas. On the internet found several who advertised crowns for $150. Went down there 2 weeks ago and looked at a couple of these places. Also looked at a 'word by mouth referral' of a DDS charging $350 for the crown and $180 for the root canal.

The former were in a more seedy part of town and their offices definitely needed paint, the more expensive one was in a modern, clean medical building on their best business street. I guess even in TJ you get what you pay for.

Last night I watched the San Diego Chargers beat the crap out of the Oakland Raiders, today I had the dental work done, $530 vs $2,000. I went to the expensive one, good English spoken by everyone, courteous professional service in a clean modern office that could have been in West LA. I mentioned to one of the girls that my car needed a new roof liner, before I knew it Juan showed up, took my car and brought it back 2 hours later with a new roof liner for $50. The cheapest I found in LA was $175.

The dentist told me that he had patients from every part of the Western US, he does not advertise on the internet as he has no intention of competing with the 'cheap places' that do and that he sends his impressions to a lab in San Diego for the permanent crowns at a higher cost to him but better goods. He relies on 'word of mouth referrals'.

All in all a good experience to be recommended. I am comfortable driving around in Tijuana, some one who is not can leave their car in the US and take a taxi for about $5 to the dentist. If any one needs the name, e-mail me directly and I'll pass it on. I need to go back to have the permanent crown fitted in 10 days but he and the Endodontist managed the get everything done in 2 visits instead of the conventional 3.

I would also like to hear from others who have made similar experiences, both good and bad.

Nick

Comments (6)

• sambac
    15 years ago

Sounds interesting, the only place I have visited in Mexico is Cancun- the city looked terribly poor outside of the resort area. Nevertheless, if they can assure me of no Hep B/Hep C transmission from the instruments- why not?? I have no doubt that there are a lot of talented people outside of this country. Now you have enought left over to 'blow up' on orchids. Come down to Miami for the Redlands show!!

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

Great job, Nick! To use a football analogy, you got off the side lines, took the ball, ran an "end around" play and scored! You and the Chargers are on a winning streak!!

--Stitz--

• Ginge
    15 years ago

Guess where I have to go Monday ? to the &(*&^&$# dentist for a crown on a molar , no root canal . Wish I was still in Ca. bye bye $800 , I guess Medicare thinks we don't have teeth to fix :( .. Gin

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Down to Mexico again, no teeth this time. I have 4 kids living in San Diego who, for the last 6 years, have taken all major car repairs to a 'trusted' mechanic in Tijuana who has given them reliable service for about 1/3 of the price in SD.

I run a Dodge Caravan for my 'dog and orchid' junker. Works extreemly well, the orchid bark, moss, rocks and doghair bind it together and it has done well for 230,000 miles until it bust a head gasket the other day. It only has the 2 front seats, the benches are in the garage, perfect for hauling plants to and fro orchid shows etc.

To fix the top of the engine would be $600 plus in LA and we are not talking about a dealer but an inexpensive repair shop. To do the whole engine would be $1,600. It also needs shocks and struts, add another $400. To do it right would cost $2,000.

Jorge in TJ will do all of the above for $900. Since the car has 230,000 miles I figure it's only a matter of time before the transmission goes. ($1,200 minimum in LA). JJ of TJ can do that for $400 so for a total of $1,300 I'm getting a totally rebuilt drive train plus struts and shocks. It would cost $3,200 to do the same in LA.

My friends tell me to junk the car and get another one, I'm building another one instead. Anyone living near the border should investigate the deals available down there.

Nick

• stitzelweller
    14 years ago

occasionally, I also travel nr the border -- Quebec/Ontario.

I need a GOOD mechanic for my Dodge p/u orchid truck. Recommendations? I can speak French, too! :)

--Stitz--

• lunaticvulpine
    14 years ago

well gee nick I'm glad you posted this, according to the VA only people who are 100% need things like healthy teeth so unless i start getting Cancer from all the nice chemicals and ionized radiation or I start mutating I guess I'm SOL, and I've been putting this stuff off for years since I know that the inevitable charges are going to take a major bite out of my operational costs.

Gaston

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure