Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidzrule

The Christmas Bird Count period starts tomorrow

orchidzrule
16 years ago

December 14th to January 5th, that time of year where birders get even crazier than orchidophiles and go out in the cold & snow (and, especially this year, hideous ice). I will spend pretty much all my daylight hours outside identifying as many species and counting them, on at least two, possibly three days during count period.

I've been asked "Do you get paid for this?" and I have to reply "No, in fact we have to pay for doing it!" Yeppers, if I survive the weather, I'll gather at the end of the day for a potluck with people suffering from the same disease as I do. Yet, we derive a pleasure from the shared insanity. Any parallels to orchid growing?

Cheers,

Rob

Comments (4)

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

That sounds really fun, actually. I've never done it though since I don't hang out with real birders. They're too intimidating. Can you tell me, why is the count done now instead of fall or spring migration when, around here at least, one would expect to see more species?

As an aside, I finally entered my life list into one of the online thingies and discovered I've seen 178 species (don't laugh!) It got me thinking: how hard would it be to add 22 species by the end of 2008? Probably not very if I really try. If it happens I'll celebrate by roasting a pheasant or some quailses.

Have a great time, Rob!

• cjwatson
    16 years ago

I admire your stamina and coldhardiness. Which are the least common of the over-wintering birds you have counted there?

• orchidzrule
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shady, the count tradition had its origin as a sort of anti reaction to the then tradition of going out on the day after Christmas and shooting as many birds as possible. A guy named Frank Chapman sort of spearheaded this bird-friendly alternative and it began to catch on. (It certainly far out-stripped the post Christmas shoot.) After a few years, the time frame of count period was expanded and now goes from December 14th to January 5th. You're quite right, of course, that it's held at a time of year when most areas are near their lowest number of birds (both individuals & species).

While I know what you mean about being intimidated by a certain hard-core element, most birders really are quite enjoyable companions, allowing for their obsession of course, and the Christmas Count is great in that it has participation from all levels of skill & experience. If you think it sounds like fun, I'd urge you to try it out some time. There's a virtual certainty of a bird count in your area, quite possibly more than one.

CJ, your question is really tough for me to answer because there are many birds that are really rare here in winter, but common at other times of the year. There are others that are found here at all seasons, but not very numerous at any time. I guess, though, if I were to try and come up with the weirdest, never-likely-to-be-repeated, species of bird on the Winnipeg, Manitoba, Christmas Bird Count, it would have to be the count week Baltimore Oriole back in 1987. I mean, I just do not think of orioles and snow together!

Cheers,

Rob

P.S. My first count of count period is Sunday, December 16. If I see anything of note, I'll let you all know!

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

Thanks for relating the story, Rob. I guess it's an appropriate and poetic response to a pretty senseless bit of cruelty. I hope you see some good ones. An oriole in December? That would be so cool.

Yes, I imagine any birding groups here would be pretty active. I live in a city with a large university, an extensive arboretum and many protected areas in the surrounding region. We're right in the Mississippi Flyway so I really have no excuse for my low count life list. I'm going to see if I can use ebird.org to seek out some spots to visit when the weather becomes a little more friendly next year.