Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
komi_gw

happy solstice to you all

komi
18 years ago

yeah I'm two days early, but I thought I'd post before Arthur is looking at decreasing light hours ;-)

Can't wait to start getting more light on the balc (I get none during mid-winter). And plantlight timers will be getting a bit of an adjustment soon :-)

Comments (33)

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

Happy happy right back at ya! It seems to have really rushed up on me this year. That's good. I'll take it as a sign that winter won't seem so long. Gonna stop resting some of my paphs this week. :)

• mrbreeze
    18 years ago

How freaky...as I was walking up to my building this morning, I was pondering weighty subjects like the meaning of life...when suddenly I remembered the solstice, two days early. And now this post of yours! whoa... now i'm all creeped out...

Let there be light!!!
    MB

• arthurm
    18 years ago

5:06 am eastern daylight saving time. Chilly outside 15C. Forcast max 27C and of course, it is going to be sunny .... UV index 10 (extreme)

All of which bring to mind the lines "Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noonday sun."

Tough life, heading off to the golf course again, trying to figure out how to hit a high fade, but before arriving the ritual of smearing sunburn stuff over any exposed old wrinkly part has to be observed.

• tuezday1
    18 years ago

It's my favorite day of the year. Warmth and sunshine will soon be back. Well, it's sunny, I just want warmer weather.

• michigoose
    18 years ago

at -10 this morning...I'm greatly happy to have the days begin getting longer again.....At least here I have more light...lots and lots of light....as long as it lasts. :)

I'm always sad at mid-summer's night because it means the days will get shorter. The winter solstice makes me happy again. But then I am also apalled at how the years seem to be slipping by so quickly.

• orchidzrule
    18 years ago

I always enjoy keeping track of sunset & sunrise times at this time of year. For years, I could never figure out why we started gaining in the afternoon before we hit the solstice, but continued losing in the morning until well after it. (Someone finally explained it to me.)

Gotta agree with Lisa's comments about the depressing prospect of losing daylength right after the Summer Solstice AND about how fast they all go by!

So, I'm curious. What are sunrise & sunset times on Solstice Day in your part of the world? Here, sunrise is 8:24 A.M. and sunset is 4:29 P.M. We've already gained two minutes from the bottom at sunset (sunset got as early as 4:27) and we probably will lose another 4 or 5 minutes in the morning before we start to recover at sunrise.

• arthurm
    18 years ago

Laura, did you lie on the sand at Newport Beach in the noonday sun? Do not know the precise times but here at about latitude 34S the shortest day goes from about 07:00am to about 05:00pm. Brrrr. Lol.

Actually a bit more of a winter would be good garden wise. Cannot grow tulips, lily of the valley, some stone fruits eg. Cherries and spring is nice but not the dramatic change from grey to green that you get in places with a real winter.

• komi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

7:24 and 16:50

• tuezday1
    18 years ago

No Arthur I sat outside reading the paper, under an arbor, for about 30 minutes the first day or two I was in Australia. All exposed skin cooked. I couldn't believe it. Other than on my face, I rarely ever use sunscreen, even where I live, and I almost never burn.

I will say I was very impressed with how serious you all are about sunscreen and hats. At first I thought it was silly that school kids who forgot their hats weren't allowed on the playground (how much time and freedom they were given to run off excessive energy during the day was impressive too, here the schools keep kids under lock and key in a straight jacket).

On the other hand, you've got a country full of blue-eyed blondes and no ozone. You have no choice but to religiously protect your skin. Did I ever mention the cute surfer dudes?

Here, I am at 36N.

Here 7:26 and 17:09. It's interesting ki that our sunsets are 20 minutes apart, considering we aren't that far from each other.

47F today but will get up to 57F by Friday. Chances of a white Christmas are worse than nil.

Sunrise on June 21, 2005 (couldn't remember the right day) was 6:03 and sunset 8:40.

Forget about where the years go, I swear I lose weeks. Tomorrow is Wednesday already, and I haven't done a thing all week,except work which I need to get back to but I'm tired and haved a headache.

Laura

• greenprof
    18 years ago

sunrise 7:24 sunset 5;20

9 hours and 56 min of day

kevin b

• turkeytaker
    18 years ago

Sunrise: 8:45
    Sunset: 3:30

That's what...less that eight hours of light a day? Welcome to the great snowy north.

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

Today it's 7:26 sunrise, 4:25 sunset.

8 hrs 59 min?'

Given that I arrive at my windowless office around 7:50 that means I'm out when it's light out for about fifteen minutes during my commute on the days I don't go out for lunch.

• dottyinduncan
    18 years ago

Sunrise 8:02
    Sunset 4:21
    We are 49 degrees.
    When I looked up the exact time, I typed in the wrong address and got: The sun does not rise today.
    Wow, We are blessed. I love it when the days are long. At the Summer solstice we get
    Sunrise 5:18
    Sunset 9:18

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Sunrise: 7:55 am Sunset 5:15 pm
    Temp: Hi of 30F (Currently 25F) Low of 15.

The sunrise sunset thing doesn't count the long gloaming hours because it is so flat. Being on the Western edge of Eastern sometimes is a good thing, and we have less cloudy days here than in CT. :) :) :)

• cjwatson
    18 years ago

Sunrise: 6:42 CST
    Sunset: 4:52 (16:52) CST

North Gulf coast

• mrbreeze
    18 years ago

Happy Solstice to all!!!! especially Komi...since it is her thread. And to all those that typed those lovely numbers! Very inspiring...I would have but, I hate math. All I know is that by the time I drag ass out of bed, the sun hath risen long since...and by the time I go to bed, the sun is thinking of rising again...*yawn*
    MB

• kwmackdog
    18 years ago

yup the hens'll be layin' before ya know it.

• clintdawley
    18 years ago

..so mote it be.

• orchidzrule
    18 years ago

Yep, Stacy, you are wayyyyy up there in latitude with times like those. Nobody could grow orchids in Norway if they relied on natural light!

Laura, White Christmases are HIGHLY overrated! I'm so glad to be in Denver where there is NO snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes! (My usual term for snow is "the white crap".)

Happy Solstice to all

Rob

• turkeytaker
    18 years ago

Rob, you are sooo wrong. Ãyvind's stepmother has three phals and an onc that are on their THIRD bloom run. Phals can be kept in closets, doncha know? :P

Denver? No snow? Madness. Snow...mmmm...

• tuezday1
    18 years ago

Watch it Rob, Denver can surprise you.

Nope, no snow. It was 60 and sunny most of the day yesterday.

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

Yes, for those of us in the Northern hemisphere--Happy Days Are Here, Again! For the next six months, days will be getting longer!!

• arthurm
    15 years ago

How did you find this in the cobweb covered archives? Nothing has changed, just arrived back from the golf course. The sun is shining. The UV is about 12 (extreme) There are no clouds. In other words a picture perfect summers day.

There is news of a big freeze in the USA. So some parts are going to have a white christmas. This a a dream that the dragon woman has. A white Christmas somewhere without the relos.

• arthurm
    15 years ago

Just a bit more.
    Day length mid summer 14:12
    Day length mid winter 9:53

Just had an extra glass of wine to celebrate reading all those posts from guys who no longer post. The good old days syndrome.

Actually we are not having Christmas Dinner with the Nazis (relos) this year. This is because the Chief Nazi (the Dragon Woman's mother) got out her calculator and worked out that there would be 13 sitting down to dinner....and if that happened it would be on the cards that one of the 13 would certainly die.

So we are having dinner here where there will be no arguments about politics, religion or anything at all. Heaven!!!!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

5AM and the temp is -6.8 F. At least it's warmer than it was yesterday at this time. Yes, we are having a white Christmas. So far this month it has snowed 19 out of 22 days. I'm not really complaining about that though. For some reason, I love to shovel. I just think of it as my little way of making order out of chaos. You know, putting all those little snowflakes in their rightful place. Very gratifying.

K

• arthurm
    15 years ago

Hi Kevin, -6.8F Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I never minded doing a little shovel or two in my skiing days. Though i hate snow with a passion. Just getting about was such a pain.

Must be great to visit your orchids under those nice warm lights and imagine you are in some tropical place.

Have a great Christmas!

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

Arthur, it's time for the Northern hemisphere to have fun!

• arthurm
    15 years ago

Happy Equinox to all. For us (upside down people) it means time to think about the coming Autumn, Winter and Spring orchid shows and lovely weather.

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

Good on ya, mate! Thinkin' 'bout Spring already! :)

--Stitz--

• stitzelweller
    14 years ago

Ahh, the longest day.
    Sunrise: 5:42 AM
    Sunset: 8:37 PM

I'll celebrate at sunrise by fertilizing orchids! What are your plans?

--Stitz--

• arthurm
    14 years ago

It's the 21st June here and the shortest day is tomorrow. No matter.

Sunrise 07.00AM
    Sunset 4.54PM.

I'm going to water my orchids. Outdoors with hose
    Indoors with a watering can

I'm going to mow the lawn.

Then i am going to behave myself when the relos arrive for afternoon tea.

• orrin_h
    14 years ago

Had a solstice BBQ with great friends yesterday, complete with home-made ice cream and much silliness. Today I'm going birding with a couple of friends, just our local patch but it's been very birdy despite the heat, even had a rare (for the area/season) Least Tern last week.

The birds in SE AZ have been trippy lately, lots of eastern birds and some very good visitors from Mexico, and things just keep showing up. Pretty exciting.

-O-

• stitzelweller
    14 years ago

Yes, for those of us in the Northern hemisphere--Happy Days Are Here, Again! For the next six months, days will be getting longer!!

--Stitz--