Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
driftlessroots

Hot Topic #4: The Reason for the Season!!

Driftless Roots
16 years ago

Yeah! It only really dawned *rimshot* on me this morning that the Winter Solstice is this Saturday. Just when the darkness was really getting me down. Starting at 6:08 Universal Time the ol' sun is finally going to start coming back north again! Yay! It'll be a few weeks before it's really apparent the days are getting longer but at least we'll be moving in the right direction.

To my friends south of the Equator: I hope you're enjoying your summer as much as I look forward to enjoying mine in 2008!!

Comments (17)

• komi
    16 years ago

Thank goodness! I was starting to feel sick from the "all things pigginess" thread.

I love the pre-solstice part of the season, but from here on out, winter feels like it will never end. The problem is that Sun and Mr. Snow aren't on the same clock.

• komi
    16 years ago

...that this topic is not hot! The thread title is deceptive and misleading in violation of Title 15 of the United States Code Section 1125!

I am really bored today, with holiday prep and work taking too much mental energy. I would much rather be remounting almost-dead orchids.

• Driftless Roots
    Original Author
    16 years ago

...that this topic is indeed quite hot! It's about the sun, after all for pity's sake crying out loud. Not much hotter'n that! Except maybe the news I just go that my laptop is on its way and expected to be delivered tomorrow despite the initial estimated ship date of January 4. Hot! I tell ya, Hot!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

I've been an avid sun watcher this past year ever since the house next door (south side) burned to the ground on Easter Sunday. For the first time I've had a full southern exposure in 6 rooms of my house. Over the past weeks it's been so sad watching that sunshine dwindle to just a few hours a day.

Yes, I will be eagerly watching and waiting for the return of Mr. S. By February we should be kind of back in business.

• komi
    16 years ago

Well? Did it arrive? Is it as sexy as you thought it would be?

• Driftless Roots
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! What an extreme way to increase your sunlight, Kevin!

No, it's not here yet. I'm thinking I'm going to have some problems receiving it because it requires a signature and there won't be anyone at home here during the daytime until Monday. The warehouse to have it held is all the way across town and would take 1 1/2 hours to do over my lunch hour if it comes to that. bleh.

• arthurm
    16 years ago

The sun is going to shine today. I'm about to plaster sunscreen on all exposed bits and put on my unlovely cancer council hat and go down to the golf course.
    The UV reading is forecast to be 12 (extreme). In an average year here Mr S. appears about 300 times. He even appears quite often in "winter".

I was going to tell you all AGAIN how much i hate Mr Snow. Not that he ever appears around here, but he does in a place aptly called the Snowy Mountains. That is where an even sillier occupation than golf is pursued.

• komi
    16 years ago

I'm tellin' ya - not hot!!!

Good luck with picking up that computer. Hope you get it before it gets shipped back, and I hope it truly is (or do I mean, I truly hope...? hmmm....) hot.

I spent some time mounting half-dead orchids last night :)

• Driftless Roots
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Have fun golfing. I've never played that game enough to enjoy it.

and Komi: OK, Ms. Smartyhotpants, let's see if you can do any better starting a hot topic ;p

(I actually hope the computer isn't hot but just in case it is I bought a cooling pad for it)

• cjwatson
    16 years ago

Tell the truth, Kevin. Who did you pray to, pay to, or how did you get that house to burn to the ground? I have a neighbor's house, built about four years ago, which blocks a good deal of the winter sun in my GH....(grin)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

I prayed to whoever was listening and someone answered me. The other option is to just find one of those creatures inhabiting every neighborhood these days and pay him. I guess they still call them teenage boys.

• komi
    16 years ago

In my wise old age, I've stopped trying to start hot topics :P

So this is how the new case in the office looks. I've been so short on time, it's still a mess in there (note boxes etc.) And now I'm about to take off for 10 days, so it's trial by fire. We'll see what dessicates and what rots. Especially since most of the inhabitants are half-dead, as previously noted.... No air circulation in there yet, and no mister. (I've enlisted someone to mist once while I'm out - maybe twice.)

{{gwi:135766}}

ooops, I veered OT.

• Driftless Roots
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's a very interesting setup. I presume the lights are on the side we can't see?

Speaking of light and getting back on topic :) Today will be longer than yesterday! Well, it would if it weren't our latest winter storm bringing six inches of freezing rain and snow. If Santa slips and falls off our roof he'd better try not to sue.

• komi
    16 years ago

That vertical gray strip to the right of the case is a shoplight. Attached by wire ties to the iron shelf to the right. I was going to make a stand but time and convenience won.... There's a second shoplight that's attached a little higher up - you can see a streak of light near the top of the photo. I had to position the lights so they don't glare at people walking into my office.

I really wish I had the time (or enthusiasm) to make a cleaner drip tray for the bottom. And I wish for a second case :P

Doubt he'd file suit, but maybe his insurance co. would.

• Driftless Roots
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm kicking myself for getting rid of that huge aquarium rather than turning it on end, now. Seriously. I just gave it away. What a fool I was!

I'm really POed at DHL right now. I talked to a barely helpful person at "customer service" the other day about delivery options since I wouldn't likely be home to sign for my computer. I specifically asked if they deliver on Saturday since then (today) would be my best chance of being home. She flatly stated that, no, they don't deliver on Saturdays. I just got home to find a note that they'd been here ten minutes earlier. I wonder if it's even worth my effort writing to them and Dell. Oh, well. I'll get it Monday. Maybe I'll take it home with me at Xmas.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

Maybe having an orchid case will get you re-interested in growing something? Last weekend I made a small case for some of my little ones and I think I'm hooked. I swear I can see the difference in those plants already plus it's just very cool having this little, contained environment. I was never into the traditional terrarium things, but these are very cool.

I bet you could find another aquarium on CraigsList for next to nothing.

• komi
    16 years ago

I thought I posted a comment but must have forgotten to submit.

Hope you get your computer on Monday. I suspect they usually don't deliver on Sat, but are doing extra hrs to try to deliver all the Christmas stuff.

I just mounted some pleuros on a Swamp Stick, planning on filling it with water, hanging it in the case, and leaving it for 10 days. (Trial by fire.) My luck, it looks like it's leaking. Rather than risk it drying out, I sat it in a puddle.... and now I think that the lowest plant might drown. (The tube is also full of water.) Drats.

{{gwi:135768}}

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County