Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clairewags

How many orchid forums do you lurk on?

clairewags
18 years ago

I lurk on 2 and post on two pretty regularly- this one being my 'home base'.

Then of course I wander around on roses and veggie gardening more in the summer.

Comments (22)

• cbrf4irider
    18 years ago

This is it for me! I check out terrariums once in a while but mainly I'm just here :)

• shannon_widmer
    18 years ago

This is it for me, too. I wish I had time to check out some other forums but I'm working full time and going to graduate school so I have next to zero free time.

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

Eleven. Some I actively participate on, others have so little traffic I only check them periodically, GW is about in the middle.

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

D'oh! I counted wrong! Checking my bookmarks it's more like fifteen.

• clairewags
    Original Author
    18 years ago

15? FIFTEEN!!?? Sheesh. Can anyone beat that?

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Rofl...I used to lurk and post on the AOS site, but when they were having problems, I got out of the habit. I periodically go to one other and post, but that's been very slow. I used to go to another one, but the nastiness was so strong I decided I didn't need nastiness in my life and left....hmmmm.

Before I moved, I went into orchid chat....but I haven't done much on that lately.

I go to other gardenweb forums regularly. Sometimes I even see others from here. lol.

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

I know. It sounds psychotic so I just made a list to be sure. It's really seventeen. And I've left off four that I wouldn't even bother with anymore, though "the list" has a half dozen that should be put in that category too.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    18 years ago

Now only 2, GW and that new one. I check it out almost daily, but it's really slow so I haven't posted anything in a while. I was posting on 3 others, but stopped doing that. I still find the ones with moderators strange to deal with.

As far as non-orchid places go, there are some other GW ones I do post on, but that's kind of seasonal. GW certainly seems to have cornered the market on "one-stop-shopping".

Kevi

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

Oh, man. I'd totally forgotten about "that new one." Must go post something perky.

• margad
    18 years ago

What is the new one? I post on two and lurk on one.

• clairewags
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The new one says it has over 100 memebers but its soooooo slooooooooowww.

• mrbreeze
    18 years ago

I've got a bunch in my favorites list but I almost never venture beyond this one and the UK orchid forum. I think my lurking on other GW forums tends to be pretty seasonal.
    MB

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

UK orchid forum? That sounds promising.....

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    18 years ago

It isn't

• arthurm
    18 years ago

The UK orchid forum. What's it like? There are no stralian orchid forums, so that is why you have to put up with me.
    Must be like orchid societies where rather than a minimum number of members, you need a minimum number of hits a day otherwise it dwindles awaaay.
    In the distant past i used to post on the AOS board.

• greenprof
    18 years ago

just this one' i used to go to a few others but the people were so unpleasant and downright nasty like m'goose i decided i had enough nasty people to put up with and just left. i still get the daily email from one but it is sent directly to the trash and never opened. (i have even been known to leave here when people got personal with their unpleasantness)

i must say, this is about the friendliest group i have met on the web.

kevin b

• komi
    18 years ago

the UK forum is incredibly slow, but there's some good angraecoid info to be had there.

I hit this one and the slipper forum. I don't truly lurk anywhere.

• mrbreeze
    18 years ago

Yea the UK forum is pretty slow but aren't they all at one time or another. I think they're up to about 250 members now including some from Oz. Like Komi said, some great Ang info to be had there. There are also some pretty amazing photographs to be seen on that forum.

Speaking of people here being 'nice', you should check out the thread on orchids in the house plant forum. They mention how intimidating the orchid forum is and how apparently many have had less than ideal experiences. I was thinking it was a lot better than it used to be...haha
    MB

• clairewags
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Whadda expect Breeze- they grow "house plants" *she says looking down her nose*.

I'm just kidding. But really, what do you expect? So we have some snobs- so what? Try posting in the Bonsai Forum once, see what that gets you. They grow small trees decades old, I expect them to be nutty.

Sharpen your elbows and dive in for the crying out loud! If you don't want to get yelled at, do a search and make sure your not posting the same thing that was asked three days ago. Sheesh.

• picotee_sofl
    18 years ago

Gotta remember to visit this side of the forum more often. I still visit the AOS forum daily but rarely post there anymore -very few responders so why bother - and one other that most of the former AOS'ers seem to have gravitated to, but this one's home to me. Joined the new one but kind of forgot about it - so slooooooowwwww. Also peek into the Hoya forum on GW occasionally - nice folks there. Oh - and the Plant Exchange forum is fun to read through. Neat stuff - wish I had a garden. Sigh.

• cjwatson
    18 years ago

I post on two, and on occasion, lurk on two others.

• orchidzrule
    18 years ago

My experience is pretty much like that of everyone else. I post here on GW at infrequent intervals, but almost entirely lurk on the others--that's about 7 others, btw. I used to be a really frequent poster to one other, but then things kinda blew up on it and I felt very uncomfortable even lurking there, afterward. I agree that my experience with GW posters has been very positive.

Cheers,

Rob

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH