komi_gw

OT houseplant photos

komi
18 years ago

Took a few photos over the weekend.

Ping from MrB:

{{gwi:135805}}

{{gwi:135806}}

No fungus gnats these days so it's on a diet.

And a few Gesneriaceae:

Codonanthes, which supposedly grow on ant hills (or on ant nests in trees, aka "epiphytic"). These are glamour shots as the flowers are pretty small - about 1/2" wide. Very succulent leaves.

Codonanthe carnosa:

{{gwi:135807}}

Codonanthe devosiana 'Paula':

{{gwi:135808}}

I went around pollinating Aeschynanthus longicaulis, which forms bean-like pods. The genus aeschynanthus has wierd colored pollen - this one is grey-ish purple:

{{gwi:135809}}

but rather inconspicuous flowers:

{{gwi:135810}}

Episcia Tropical Nights courtesy of Van in NYC who is probably not even lurking at GW these days. No flash, no color correction, but the photo is a bit bluer than reality:

{{gwi:135811}}

and another from V with amazing foliage. Smithiantha Texas Freckles:

{{gwi:135812}}

{{gwi:135813}}

This one should be spotted fushia flowers, omg. And they get pretty big, ugh! But love the foliage.

More pings on my wish list for spring!

Comments (22)

• cbrf4irider
    18 years ago

Wow ... can you tell me more about that first one? Thanks. nicole

• komi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

the first one is a carnivorous plant, commonly known as a butterwort. I'm told this one is probably one of the Mexican Pinguiculas. I'm loving it! Water about once a week, so far so good. Usually the leaves will be splattered with dead fungus gnats, but apparently I have none right now.

• cbrf4irider
    18 years ago

Oooh I want one! I have a dew plant, but that's not enough. maybe I'll start a carnivorous plant tank ...

• shannon_widmer
    18 years ago

Thanks for the extra info on the Ping! It's so gorgeous and I've seen a few fungus gnats around so I think I'll get one in the Spring.

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Ooooh! Thanks Komi! You've identified the HUGE and I mean HUGE basket I bought at Lowe's this summer for $0.25. I have a Aeschynanthus longicaulis! Whooohoo! An id'ed plant! Love your shots...I'll have to take some of mine...I've got some lucious xmas cactus blooming and this thing that a woman gave me a slip of that she called "Angel's Kiss" she said she was never given the Latin name for it either, soo....but it is pretty!

• komi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

25c!!! It's a pretty fast grower. Give it enough light and the markings will really come through - and the leaves will be closely spaced and thicker. Plus it's fun to pollinate - the bean pods add a bit of decoration and the seeds are dandelionesque.

Nicole - these pings don't need a tank. I have mine out in the open and the humidity isn't all that great here.

• jimshy
    18 years ago

Neato -- I gotta get me a ping!

Jim

• cbrf4irider
    18 years ago

Haha looks like we have a group of new addicts ... first hit's free!

• mrbreeze
    18 years ago

((((((((((((Pings))))))))))))

Really amazing photos. Well done. How are the neps doing?

• komi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Neps are fine but they've been in a lower light location while I try to figure out the lighting setup. They're getting a bit of cloudy weather - why not.

• cat80
    18 years ago

I LOVE PING!!! yes, Komi, I know I just shouted! lol... but it's sooooo pretty... how big is the plant? does it work well as a carnivorous? I would love to get myself one.
    cat80

• ladybug_guam
    18 years ago

Komi! Those are gorgeous!!!
    If I could have a slip of the Codonanthe carnosa and the Codonanthe devosiana 'Paula' I would gladly pay for them and the postage!
    Ana :)

• ladybug_guam
    18 years ago

Komi:
    I forgot!
    I have some Dischiodia pectenoides seeds if you want them.
    Ana :)

• komi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Ana - I'm not shipping so far these days. Also, you might not remember but I already sent you cuttings of both.

• Perfection_Is
    18 years ago

anyone want to see my boring snake plant?

• komi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

would you believe I can't grow snake plants...?

• arthurm
    18 years ago

What is a snake plant? Guessing. Perhaps mother in laws tongue? That is the problem with common names...
    There is a plant growing down the backyard called black eyed susan. It is probably a valued house plant in temperate climes but is a noxious weed in tropical queensland. Nice photos in post one.

• Perfection_Is
    18 years ago

all right then, here it is! it's in a 12" pot. got it a couple years ago as a baby.

{{gwi:135814}}

• arthurm
    18 years ago

That's it. Mother in laws tongue. Instructions. Get plant. Place Plant in pot. Put pot out in yard (anywhere).
    As for some of those delicates in the first post. Tried to grow some of those before orchids took over my life....and failed.

• arthurm
    18 years ago

By the way Perfection, that is a very nice plant. The only house plants in this house are described on the label as Spathphyllum species. They grow well in the main bathroom.

• komi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

nicely grown! That's impressive growth for two years inside.

the plants at the top... get watered every 2 weeks. that's it :-)

• Perfection_Is
    18 years ago

thanks Arthur. i also have a small Euphorbia tirucalli ("Fire Sticks" aka "Pencil plant") that got too much sun over the summer and shriveled up. it's starting to look a bit better. i hope it will recover.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio