Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
komi_gw

GORGEOUS weather!

komi
18 years ago

Since Arthur said we're talking about food yet again, I thought the other fave topic might be in order.

28F, no wind, bright bright sun.... I'm very happy :-)

Of course, tonight we're scheduled to get snowsleetsludge.

Comments (34)

• shannon_widmer
    18 years ago

Here it's currently 5F, also with no wind and really bright sunshine. It's a good day to put my cattleytonia in my south-facing office window and guard it from the kitties. We're supposed to warm up to 24F tomorrow with some snow showers.

I hope you don't get too much snowy sludge, Komi!

• turkeytaker
    18 years ago

It's about 45F, here, lots of wind, heavy cloud cover. Reminds me of being on the water when I walk by a flagpole and hear it making that bonging sound in the wind. Perfect weather for snow...if it were about 15 degrees cooler. Grrrr...

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    18 years ago

22 F and kind of sunny. It is unbelievable how wonderful 22 feels after the crap we've had for the last 2 weeks. Yesterday it was so warm (23 F) I took my cabinet doors outside and sanded them all down. Why make that mess inside when it's almost warm enough for shorts?

K

• clairewags
    18 years ago

Yep. 25° here and snowy. Up to 4 inches possible. The usual complaints around here about it being so cold. I told them it wasn't really cold until you go outside and have a hard time breathing. THAT is cold.

• arthurm
    18 years ago

Guys, what is this F stuff? It is only because i am eighty five and have a few memory cells left that i know what you are talking about.

OK, another boring hot sunny day in paradise looms though it a pleasant 20C outside at the moment.

Some years ago. It sleeted for about five minutes and there were banner headlines "Snow in Sydney" .

Anyway, you have my sympathy. gee i hate snow.

Just about to have my vegemite on toast, pack the golf clubs into the car and walk on to the ist tee where the sign will say 128M. Same deal as above, when watching Tiger woods on a sports show i can do this mental arithmetic and know what the commentator is saying.

Enough of my crusade to metrasize the USA. It is an impossible task..and how can it be kind of sunny Kev? does that mean a "warm" front is approaching.

• ladybug_ok
    18 years ago

6 degrees here this morning. Brrrrrrrrrr! Snowed a little yesterday but sun's out today, calm wind and we'll get back to near the 50s by the weekend. Not too bad, really. Our bad days never last too long. :)

I don't know how you Northerners survive!

Maggie

• arthurm
    18 years ago

It that 6C or 6F??? Talking about Tiger Woods. One a month at our golf club we have tiger tees day. No we don't paint stripes on the tees. But isn't the English language amazing?

• ladybug_ok
    18 years ago

That would be 6F, Arthur. Brrrrrrr.

Maggie

• tuezday1
    18 years ago

According to my Google home page, it's 34F with an expected high of a whooping 41 but the low will only be 32 (I don't believe it) and humidity is 61%. It's overcast and gloomy. This forced me to sleep until 2.

According to the thermometer at my back door, it's 42. I don't believe this either as this thermometer has been telling some lies. Just ask the dens and laelia that were treated to a heavy frost one night when the lying thermometer was claiming it was a toasty 34.

Today's required refill time for the vaporizers does suggest the humidity isn't too bad for a change.

After chasing one of the dogs around outside at 7 am yesterday when it was 26 degrees with a heavy, heavy frost, with no pants on, it will take me a couple more days to recover from the shock before I venture out, with pants on, to determine for myself what the weather is really like. At least I had socks and sneakers on.

Hey Kevin, are those your kitchen cabinets you're sanding? What are you going to do with them? I'm tired of looking at mine, was thinking of painting them, but I'm not entirely sure that's what I want to do either.

Let me tell you, from recent experience (see adventure with dog above) 23 degrees is nothing even close to shorts weather.

• tuezday1
    18 years ago

Does anyone know how to pick the lock on a file cabinet? I'd appreciate a few tricks, as I'm not having much luck. Not being able to snoop is driving me crazy. L

• clairewags
    18 years ago

Got a bobby pin? Or maybe a paper clip unfolded would work too- but they aren't as flexible as bobby pins. Wait. Why am I helping you with this?

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    18 years ago

Laura

These are the kitchen cabinets from the second floor. I own a 90+ year old duplex and havenÂt rented out the upstairs unit since 98. Just decided IÂm never going to do that again, but want restore that unit to the same condition as the part of the house I live in and then do I know-not-what with the space. I guess IÂll just have two of everything  2 kitchens, 4 bedrooms, 2 living rooms etc.

These are the original birch cabinets that were painted over, then stripped and refinished by me when I bought the house (ugly, ugly process removing decades of paint). Now IÂm refinishing them again because there was some damage from the last tenant. This time around it isnÂt too bad. Just sand off the old finish and recoat. TheyÂre really beautiful when done.

Back to the weather: 24 right now. Yip!

• tuezday1
    18 years ago

Kevin,I kind of suspected your cabinets were real wood,unlike mine, but thought I'd ask.

Claire, I tried the straightened paperclip and it works to reset the pins but I haven't found a second 'tool' to turn the bottom half of the lock to open it. My psychiatrist gave me permission to be a b&^%% as it is, afterall, my house and someone doesn't live here anymore. And I don't recall ever agreeing to be a storage facility.

Did Ki ever buy any spinach?

• komi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I did buy spinach! That's why I started the other thread. Your closest pricey place is indeed pricey! And, fyi (like you need to know), our bunches are in very good shape, unlike in Kev's neighborhood.

I like my spinach sauteed so I don't pay attention to baby spinach, but I believe you can buy it 4 ways at my local place - at the salad bar, by weight in the produce section, in a plastic box, and in a pre-packaged bag.

Oh... but they didn't have any decent garlic so I was rather annoyed.

Next we shall compare the prices of potatoes and shallots.

• clairewags
    18 years ago

Have you tried folding the paper clip so it has more of a U shape and then you can manipulate the lower half as well?

I don't know how 'advanced' this lock is..

• neyra
    18 years ago

Gorgeous weather definetly it's in the low 80's during the day with 50's inf the night. You can say that's pretty good.

Neyra

• mrbreeze
    18 years ago

OMG....FRIGID!
    They said it was the coldest air for this time of December since 1989. Like Maggie said, 7 degrees F. with negative windchills. 2-3" of snow which will almost certainly all be gone by tomorrow. I wasn't quite ready for this level of cold and have been wearing a hat and scarf in the house.
    At least its too cold for ice!
    MB

• shannon_widmer
    18 years ago

I can't believe it's that cold in OK! That's pretty wild. Global warming?

• tuezday1
    18 years ago

Breezy, turn on the damn heat.

Neyra...... don't rub it in

Claire, a paper clip isn't sturdy enough to turn the lock. I need something very thin, like a paperclip, but that is stronger.

• shannon_widmer
    18 years ago

Laura, would a wire coat hanger be too thick? I know I get some really thin ones from the dry cleaners. They're pretty easy to manipulate. Good luck. I would definitely snoop if I was in your position.

• arthurm
    18 years ago

Potatoes are between $2 an $3 a Kilo and the temperature is 25.1C Humidity 55.1%. Another good walk ruined. Now 10.58. The are a few clouds in the sky today. Thought Global warming meant that some places would actually get colder.

• cbrf4irider
    18 years ago

Dallas area just got over an ice storm. It was messy last night, but the crews did a pretty good job keeping things sanded, and when the sun hit it this morning, the roads dried up. Most people still stayed home from work, and many school districts were closed. Funny.

Laura, may I suggest a blow torch?

• komi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

waahhh if I didn't have a client meeting, I could work at home today!

• sunita
    18 years ago

Thats freezing weather you're talking about! At least to my tropical blood it is. Brrr! I hate cold weather unless I can stay in bed the whole day. And to me cold is anything below 18*C.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

We could revive this one since we haven't talked about the weather yet?

It was nice yesterday - 60 F I think - now it's getting colder, but I still have plants blooming in the garden. That's really odd for around here.

K

• Judybird2014
    16 years ago

lol it's 4pm and 81 degrees, mid NOV, unreal.

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

It's a frigid 78 degrees, in the shade, here. We have a hope of rain this evening, too! I'm actually giddy with anticipation.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

Stacy

So how is life in decidedly unmoist Atlanta? What's the plan if the water is gone? We've been hearing these rumors up here that you folks and those SW folks want our Great Lakes water. Now that's a war I'd be willing to fight.

k

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

We're not out of water yet, and there isn't much of a plan if we run out. I think the current thing is stopping the flow of water to mollusks in Florida and start sucking off of the south GA and FL aquifers. There's also talk of lynching the fellow up here that's using 390K gallons a month...

Despite the water nazis, people are still watering a lot with their hoses. I've been using gray water for two summers, so our yard doesn't look horrible.

The governor is giving prayers for rain, so we'll wait for God to sort it out. 70% chance of rain, so everyone is rejoicing.

Stacy

• tuezday1
    16 years ago

Good grief, where did this thread come from?

I mean, based on my above posts, it was just after the big breakup, when this thread started. We've been back together for a year and I now live in Florida with a damn cat and one less dog.

Oh, the weather, well, this is "the rest of the year" in Florida, as in, it's either summer or the rest of the year. So, the weather has been perfect, except for the few days last week that were windy. The AC has been off for a couple of weeks, the windows wide open and the parquet floor has quit buckling due to humidity. The bugs are gone except for mosquitoes and cockroaches and my tomato plants have tomatoes on them. The laelia have been putting on a show and will for a couple more months. And I emptied the hot tub today to prepare for "winter" use. Since it's no longer hot friends have quit hibernating and are coming out of the woodwork, as are people who want to warm their bones in Florida. To top it all off, it doesn't rain (much) or snow "the rest of the year".

Eat your hearts out. I should have moved here years ago.

• komi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Weather will never be a hot topic until it becomes edible.

Can't wait for cold. 47F/8C today with some major sun and major wind. Den kingianum and C intermedia are getting a beating out there. A few degrees less and less wind, and I will be happy.

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

I wish it'd get cold and stay cold. This up and down between 40 and upper 70s is killing me.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

It was near 40 yesterday, but only 8 when I got up this morning. I think the chilly stuff is finally here. I walked over to the grocery store, bought stuff, came home and made a huge kettle of Potato Sausage soup. Yummy. I really do like the colder weather. The key is not to stay inside.

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

Then I've been doing it wrong. I don't go outside from Thanksgiving until Presidents' Day.