Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scott361_gw

White x-mas?

scott361
16 years ago

Hmm...

I just looked outside and it's snowing like crazy!

I love it sometimes. I'm just not sure that now is one of those times.

It brings a lot of beauty, but cause a lot of problems.

I can already hear trees falling across the ditches that I've worked half the summer on.

Grumble, grumble...

Probably across my fences too!

I've got family on the road with horse trailers and livestock to feed and I'm already tired of being cold and wet! :~(

I've been lookin' up road conditions all mornin' trying to keep up with everything.

I'm trying to brace myself to head out to the barn, but I really, really don't want to go!

Cold sucks!

(whine...whine...)

But...I hate sweat tricklin' down into nether regions too!

Just can't make me happy! ;~)

Have I mentioned that I'm heading for Palm Springs for New Year's??

YAY!

I'm sure that the sympathy level just fell several notches! ;~)

Ok!

I'm done rambling.

Now, where can I get an emergency botox?

Scott

Comments (13)

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

It's in the upper 50s, here, so no snow for me.

I love snow. I don't mind shoveling it, driving in it, rolling in it, digging through it. It's beautiful, cold stuff.

I definitely pity you the tree/ditch/road cleanup that goes along with it, but I'd take it, especially if it means cold weather!

Stacy

• scott361
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not much stayed around down here, but up there...
    {{gwi:135824}}
    {{gwi:135825}}
    I took this after dark, at about 6:30, and thought that it turn out sort' cool! :~)
    {{gwi:135826}}
    Timer, ISO 100, etc...!
    My hands are frozen and I still can't feel my ears! ;~)

Scott

• Ginge
    16 years ago

You can have my share of it .
    I have outside chores too , a horse and chickens , ducks .. I used to pull a horse trailer in San Francisco but on snow , no way (shudder)we will be getting some snow late tomorrow :( . Have a great Christmas ... Gin

• tuezday1
    16 years ago

I could have a white Christmas, sugar sand is a nice, warm alternative to snow. And beach sand looks like snow that is a couple days old, if you live in a city.

I like to ski on snow then fly home to warmer climes.

Why is it that a person always gets soaked watering horses in the winter but not in the summer?

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

We just got some more rain/snow/ice. Bleh. My vernal witchhazel didn't lose its leaves this fall and now it's drooping. I hope it doesn't break. Although it's nothing like what you're dealing with, Scott. My co-conspirator just went out to do some shoveling. I'll stay in here and watch it blow off the roofs and branches.

• Ginge
    16 years ago

We did not get much, more or less a dusting of snow it's gone now.
    Tuez. I think horses have a warped sense of humor have had them wait till I was done watering then slosh it out .. on me.
    I like the sound of your snow. Gin .

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

It rained yesterday and then everything froze solid. That usually happens when the temp goes from 36 to 7. Now it's snowing like crazy. I got inspired and made Christmas cookies today. My turtle cookies taste good, but kind of look like wood ticks, not turtles. I feel all cozy and kind of in a good mood. I think it will be a good night to watch one of those many Starwars movies I've missed.

K

• margad
    16 years ago

We had snow, but it warmed up and is now gone. Beautiful full moon last night. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you.

• scott361
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well...
    I'm not exactly sure that these things actually qualify as horses!
    {{gwi:135827}}
    Not in my book! ;~)
    Jeeze!
    Talk about useless!
    We coulda' fit a few dozen of 'em into the trailer!
    The horses that we've had leave bigger piles, but the dogs are enjoying fresh bite sized horse cookies! ;~)

Actually, they're intended to be gifts to my niece and nephew from my parents.
    I guess that a grandparents job is to spoil the grandkids!
    If so...
    They take the job very seriously!

I generally have boots up to my knees and lots of layers on.
    But, either I was working that hard or the temp went up, I was down to just a tee-shirt earlier.
    (With pants, of course!) ;~)
    Although, come dark-thirty, my ears again went from numb to serious pain!
    I should think about some earmuffs!
    I think that the temps are somewhere in the low teens, but I haven't really looked.

It snowed a little today, as well.
    Nothing is really staying on the ground, down here.
    I would imagine that will change sometime in the next few weeks.
    I really hope that the passes are open over the next couple of days.
    I'm doing my drive down to Palm Springs on Wednesday or Tuesday.
    I haven't decided yet.
    I just need a day, or so, to rest up before the all the New Year's weekend debauchery starts

Merry Christmas!
    Scott

• Ginge
    16 years ago

Minis how cute ! Are they going to drive them ? I showed Hackneys in Ca. love the ponies .
    Right now have a Reg. Quarter horse did have a Fox Trotter . Sometimes wish I had none lolol .... Gin

• scott361
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've no idea what her plans are.
    I think that they're going to just be spoiled pets.
    My mom bought her a third-level dressage Quarter Pony that was a complete waste.
    Although she was beyond professionally trained, her mom took her to some idiot that screwed everything up.
    It's probably not polite to say what I think of her. ;~)

As for now, we still have a mule and a spotted donkey, but we're currently horseless.
    After forty years of horses, I feel sorta' relieved about it.
    Trail rides, local parades, barrel races(When I was way younger!!), etc.
    Guess who did all the work! ;~)
    Our last one was a National Show Horse and he was a beauty.
    A little too delicate for my tastes.
    I likes 'em a little tougher!! ;~)
    We had a good sized herd that we tapered down for our first move to S. Cal.
    By the time we all got up here, we were pretty burnt out on them.
    Ah, well...
    Time will tell!

Scott

• tuezday1
    16 years ago

Ponies are evil.

I loved my pony.

Well trained dressage horses ROCK.

I loved my advanced dressage horses too.

For Christmas hubby said "go find a horse, as long as it doesn't cost a fortune".

I pine for the days of old when I could just jump on the evil pony bareback and hope he didn't throw me. He lived for that and carrots.

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

Kev, we should have followed your example last Sunday. Instead, DH and I made the 2nd of 3 attempts to make the 13-hour drive South to visit my family. The 3 dogs and 2 cats that like to travel go w/ us, and it's usually loads of fun - yeah, we're crazy, I know.

We went 55 miles on a major Interstate, saw about 20 cars off the road, and I made an executive decision to turn around. White out conditions, w/ the highway patrol saying roads were "extremely hazardous," and towing services were prohibited(!?).

The 114 miles took us 3 hours, and Iowa's roads were reported to be just as bad. The day before, 2"-3" of snow were forecast in MN, Iowa, and Missouri, so we postponed the trip.

Then Monday, Iowa's roads were still a mess. Christmas day, I flew down, leaving DH w/ the critters 'cause it was too late to board the dogs.

Nice snow pix, Scott. Also the ponies. Friends in PA have the little ones, and we got to hold a brand new foal one time. I didn't notice - do they have puppy breath?

Have fun running amuck in Palm Springs.

Tuezday, growing up, I wanted to be a horse and broke an arm trying to roll on a barrel the way they do. We were city kids, and all my allowance $$ went to a riding stable. Later, my sisters and I got to take riding lessons from a guy who'd trained horses for the Cavalry and had a high school act. Heaven.

Whitecat8