Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orrin_h

Happy Xmas

orrin_h
15 years ago

Happy holidays everyone.

Why is there no holiday food thread? This is almost a little freaky.

I made pumpkin bread last night.

-O-

Comments (17)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

I'm not a Happy Holiday person. I'm a Merry Christmas person so THERE!! Good to see you pop in for an appearance. Everyone is dead or something. We don't talk about nothin' anymore.

I made tomato sauce today from frozen tomatoes in the freezer. Took all day, but it's wonderful.

Kevin

• arthurm
    15 years ago

Happy this time of year to all who visit here.

Kevin, when you did not add to the other thread i assumed that you "went outside for a little while" like that guy on Scot's expedition.

Actually getting a few tomatoes this year. I love the smell of the plants when you have to tie them up.

Given up buying expensive fancy pansy pants tomatoes. These are self sows from the compost heap.

• scott361
    15 years ago

My Christmas view!
    {{gwi:135840}}
    It's cold and been snowing, off and on, for the past few weeks!
    I half love it, but half hate it.
    Sorta' depends upon how long I've been out in it! ;~)

Everyone is gone, so it's just me and all the animals.
    With just the dogs and me in the house, I can enjoy the peace on earth part fully! :~)
    No fuss and I can spend the day on the couch in my jammies!
    Although, I did spend half the mornin' playing with the dogs and their toys.
    I cooked a whole prime rib for just dogs and me!
    I made a crust of tons of garlic, cracked pepper, sea salt, olive oil and a little chipotle for some extra whomp!
    Although they do like veggies, I was told that they were optional today.
    Maybe, I'll dig some potatoes, etc out of storage and add 'em.

The house monsters are very happy!;~)
    I should probably think about gettin' some more wood in while there's a break in the snow!
    The boys like to sleep off dinner by the fire.
    Merry Christmas!

• orrin_h
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It does seem a bit slow around here. I saw that 'happy solstice' thread and was delighted and astonished at all of the old familiar names-until I read Arthur's response about the archives and actually looked at the date.

I'm making chicken mole for dinner tonight.

-O-

• Ginge
    15 years ago

Hey my friends ! Hope you have a Happy New Year . Gin

• xmpraedicta
    15 years ago

Have a great holiday and a happy new year, everyone. :)
    -Cal

• Driftless Roots
    15 years ago

Happy Holidays to everyone! Hiya, Orrin. I don't get around the orchid places much anymore since I let birding take over my life. I still have some plants but the thrill is gone. All my food yammering is on my blog now, but what have I cooked lately...oh, yeah...the family's traditional oyster stew. Yum! This week will mostly consist of eating leftovers and cleaning out the fridge before we head to The Galapagos on Friday. Which reminds me, I need to run out and get a weatherproof journal.

Happy New Year to you all!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog Post on Oyster Stew

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

I'm officially sick of food. No more. No more.

Does everyone realize BSG Season 4 comes out on DVD Jan 6? It's been in my Netflix queue for months.

• arthurm
    15 years ago

Sick of food. That is Un-American. The Dragon Woman found and purchased series 2 BSG for $26 and i'm really looking forward to the viewing.

Trouble is that i got heaps of other DVD's for christmas and there are hours and hours of happy viewing ahead. Have to make up a schedule.

Recommended is Torchwood. A British Sci.fi series. Excellent, though you have to accept that the hero in the show and in real life is Gay.

• Driftless Roots
    15 years ago

It feels like I've been waiting for season 4 of BSG forever.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

I did watch a few discs of Torchwood last summer if I remember correctly. I think I kind of liked it, but got distracted by something else.

Almost forgot about The Tudors Sea 2. That's also coming out on Jan 6. Love that historical stuff! Lots of naked bodies too - some very nice ones to boot!

• scott361
    15 years ago

I've never been able to get into the new BSG.
    The 70's version is too much a part of my childhood, plus I can't get used to the new Starbuck.
    Not to mention the Cylons.
    It's just too different for me to get past.
    Although, I'm a big fan of Edward James Olmos.

As a very long time Dr. Who fan, I love Torchwood.
    Captain Jack makes for great eye candy as a bonus.
    Some of us actually like our characters, and actors, comfortable with who the are! ;~)
    Other than the Dr Who spinoff factor, that was another reason why I started watchin' it in the first place.
    As a lifelong scfi reader, I find that almost all scfi on film requires a lot of just letting things that don't make sense.
    Even the best of books rarely tranfer well to film, with certain exceptions.

There have been a lot of rumors about John Barrowman being cast as Capt. America for the upcoming film.
    Not sure what I think about that, but we'll have to see.
    Also, as an actual fan of Torchwood, the season ending was a real bummer.
    I was really not happy about it.:~(
    I liked Primeval, but it took some getting used to and even more accepting of flaws.
    It's still fun, but you do have to turn off parts of your brain and just let things go.;~)

Scott

• cheffalo
    15 years ago

Happy New Year!

I'm, for one, back at the OSF. It's a helluva better place these days so I think I can stay there. GW is somewhat dead.

Have a nice year, folks!
    /Chef

• scott361
    15 years ago

Happy New year everyone!
    Congratulations on your marrage, Chef!
    Wishing you all the best!

Although I have no current plans on going back, it does seem to be far more of a civil place.
    I just wish the owner would've done something far quicker.
    Far too late to reclame so many that have left.
    I didn't really want to leave, but everything shouldn't be a battle.

Sad that, rather than having honest fun, certain members just took their marbles and left.
    They even tried to syphon off members from their tolerant host.
    After checking out their new sandbox...
    It seems less inclusive, as everything requires registration and viewing photos isn't allowed without passwords.
    I didn't even bookmark it.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

Back to movies - love movies.

Saw "The Duchess" last night. One of the best things I've seen in ages. Sure ain't BSG, but it was really good.

• cheffalo
    15 years ago

Thank you, Scott! I'm a happy guy :-)

Well, I've been a part of OSF since the start, so perhaps I'm more forgiving after all ;-)
    The new place? Not a chance! Lol! They seem a bit paranoid, if you ask me. "Don't mention "the other place"", Lord of the Flies-feeling over there.. And it's ugly.

"The Duchess"? I heard it's a good one, gonna see it some day, with My Wife :-D Before the kid arrives... *phew*

• scott361
    15 years ago

Sorry!
    I can't help grumbling about it sometimes.
    Well, most of the time!
    I really, really need to move on.

I'm terrible about getting out to the movies these days.
    I used to love going and always tried to make some of the film festivals.
    These days, if it's not on HBO, IFC, Sundance, etc, I haven't seen it.
    I'm watching a Dr. Who repeat, on BBC, right now.
    But I'm also trying to watch Mecum Auto Auctions!
    I catch both every saturday! ;~)
    Not exactly exciting, but British scifi and muscle cars...
    Well, I like both.
    I'm still drooling over that Bugatti they found the other day! :~)

Scott