Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Chia Pets

aachenelf z5 Mpls
18 years ago

Has anyone ever given or received one of these? Someone must be buying these or they still wouldn't be around. I don't know what I would say if I actually got one.

K

Comments (68)

• clairewags
    18 years ago

Professor Wagner:

{{gwi:135872}}

Sorry the lighting is so odd, the camera died right as I was taking the picture. And I don't want to run the risk of the DH thinking I'm totally crazed by waiting to take a better pic later. :)

• komi
    18 years ago

omg.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That is scary as cr@p! I sure hope you don't have that boy in the bedroom. I would hate to wake up and see that. I'll bet he will look stunning with green hair, though.

k

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Rofl!! I about croaked. Checked Chia's this afternoon at Meijer Thrifty Acres, and they were $16.99.

• shannon_widmer
    18 years ago

Omg, Claire!! I think I need one of those to scare the kitten away from the orchid shelf! Please post a pic when the prof's hair grows in.

• clairewags
    18 years ago

He is in the grow room with the other plants, not in the bedroom. Egad. Having the Professor in the bedroom would cut down on the magic.

$16.99 for a clay head & some seeds? Heck no. I got him at Walgreen's on sale for $13. The Looney Toon, Garfield, The Simpsons and Madagascar were all more- but I don't think they were $17!

The Dh never ceases to amaze me. He actually likes the Chia head and wants one for the office if this one grows.

And there will be more and better quality pictures as he sprouts.

• michigoose
    18 years ago

I wonder what Einstein would have thought about this....

• turkeytaker
    18 years ago

I wonder what FREUD would have thought about this...

• varmint
    18 years ago

This is almost better than Peeps.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I never thought I would say this, but I am SO tempted to sprout one of these now. (who said that?)

I agree, this is almost better than peeps.

k

• clairewags
    18 years ago

Come on.... Come on.... if you loved me you would.....everyone else is doing it.......I'll still respect you.....

• varmint
    18 years ago

Ok... everyone sing along

CHA CHA CHA CHIA!!!!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey, where's Clint? I thought he was going to plant his too.
    I want to see. I want to see.

My only problem with these (well, not my ONLY problem) is I know I would get bored with it about 3 seconds after I had it. It takes a bit more than a head sprouting green to keep my attention. After all, I get bored with orchids that bloom too much.

K

• clintdawley
    18 years ago

Sorry..been kinda busy :)

I just put Homer in for his 24 hour pre soak this afternoon.

I'll plant him tomorrow :) I guess I'll have to put him on the light stand, but I don't want to move any of my babies..I think Homer might get the kitchen windowsill.

{{gwi:135873}}

• varmint
    18 years ago

I wonder what Homer will look like with green "hair". I am so used to seeing him bald!

Clint, you should paint his eyes. He looks kind of creepy with terra cotta colored eyes.

-Mimi

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yup, that's one strange looking dude. I agree, he needs EYES. You could have lots of fun with those.

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

"I know I would get bored with it about 3 seconds after I had it"

You said it, brutthah. I was almost caught up in the chiamania here, which is fine and amusing--I look forward to the results. But after spending the last year getting rid of soooo many things including orchids I've got to say it feels sooooo good to not have "stuff." I've even gone so far as getting a library card so I can stop buying books!

What somebody needs to develop is a biodegradable equivalent of the chia pet that could just be tossed in the compost when you're sick of it. Those compressed wood logs they use for home mushroom growing come to mind....wait a sec....our retail store sells those.....they're carveable and porous....uh oh....

In any case, A Happy New Year to everyone and whatever (and however) you grow, may Joy be the thing that grows most!!!

• varmint
    18 years ago

Shady,
    I think you are on to something! You could carve the log into..say.. the shape of those tiki heads from Easter Island or a cartoon character or GW and then grow mushrooms for hair instead of chia. You could patent it and make $$.
    -Mimi

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sounds wonderful. Something else to buy!!

Actually, I'm with Shady. I don't like to accumulate a lot of stuff I never use. Orchids are still kind of a problem though. I do want more. Have no room for more. Usually I can find things to trade away, but that's getting harder and harder to do. I guess I still have a few months to figure all that out.

Maybe there's a rent-a-chia program out there. I could get one, watch the hair sprout and sent it back. What is the hair made out of anyway? What kind of sprouts? Do people eat them?

K

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

According to Wikipedia the seeds are of Salvia columbariae "an aromatic annual from whose common name the Chia Pet's name is derived"

"Rent-a-Chia" Sounds like an insulting name to call someone who's just cheesed you off!

"Buzz off you slimy rent-a-chia!"

• varmint
    18 years ago

Chia update please.

• ntgerald
    18 years ago

I second that. Please post your pictures ASAP.
    I am dying to see how they look like.

• cbrf4irider
    18 years ago

ewww ear hair!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OMG That is scary. I thought these things were suppose to be cute and all that

Now, I need details. What kind of seeds are those and how do you attach them to the head? How long do they grow? What do you do with the thing once the plants get bigger?

Had another successful Christmas. Didn't get one of these.

K

• everlidis
    18 years ago

Never had or given one... but I sure am very SORRY I was not the #$%#@$#$ that came with the idea... they must be basking in the money!!! Love Fred Flintstone though!! Professor looks absolutely scary!! I would definitely scream if I saw them in the middle of the night... what a waste of money

• clairewags
    18 years ago

Aw. You think he's scary? I think he's cute- his hair has sprouted even more now.

Kev- no idea what kind of seeds they are. When you soak 'em in water they form this gel coating that helps it adhere to the ridges in the clay head. The only problem is the top part of his head dries out faster than the rest- I'm sure people have the seeds dry out and not sprout. But I am a pro, so the top is just sprouting a little behind the bottom.

I think the sprouts die eventually without soil. But they give you at least 3 heads worth of seeds so you can scrub all his dead hair off and start again.

• cbrf4irider
    18 years ago

I think the seeds are alfalfa? Salad, anyone?

• varmint
    18 years ago

The seeds actually are chia seeds. My mom used to make a wierd goopy tea out of them when I was little. I'll have to ask her about it. I think it was medicinal but can't recall. Looks like chia is some form of Salvia

Here is a link that might be useful: Chia info

• clintdawley
    18 years ago

Square stems :) How cool. The flowers are kind of nice as well. I think I'll save my other two plantings for a nice outside display in the spring :)

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

*sigh* I wonder why I bother sometimes

;)

• varmint
    18 years ago

We have a short attention span. :0)

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Shady, at least YOU don't write the FAQs. ;)

• cbrf4irider
    18 years ago

haha true Lisa

• komi
    18 years ago

You bother because some of us tried saying "Buzz off you slimy rent-a-chia!" out loud 5 times, trying to figure out just where to put the emphasis in "rent-a-chia!"

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

There are FAQ's?!?!

Komi, I emphasise "rent" and "chia" and it helps to sneer a bit when you attack the "chia" part. You're welcome.

• clairewags
    18 years ago

Lisa, I gotta tell ya, that is so awesome you are starting Chia FAQ's. Really. The Professor and I really appreciate it.

• clintdawley
    18 years ago

Homer has male pattern baldness. I'll rent him out cheap. I'm a chia-pimp.

{{gwi:135877}}

{{gwi:135878}}

• cbrf4irider
    18 years ago

aha, ahahaha, HAHAHAHAHHA!

• varmint
    18 years ago

Very creative!

• clairewags
    18 years ago

Aw. The Professor has MPB too!

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Hey, I wonder if Chia faqs would be read any more frequently than the Orchid FAQs??????

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Somehow I missed the latest posts over here. These things are just plain odd. Chia FAQs? Can't wait to read those.

Just got home from the grocery store. There were a couple of Chia Shreks in the discount cart with all the other stuff left over from Christmas. I was going to check the price, but there was another person looking through the stuff. I didn't want anyone to think I was actually thinking of buying one. You know, my reputation and all that.

• michigoose
    18 years ago

This from a guy who's an ELF? Sheesh.

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

No-one has to worry about their reputation more than an elf!

• cbrf4irider
    18 years ago

Hey Kevin, think you could pull some strings for me up at the North Pole?

• clairewags
    18 years ago

I think Kev is more of a wood nymph.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I see some Elf harassment and discrimination going on here.
    (sniff)

You better watch out. IÂll report you All to the Webmaster and get you banned, banned, banned. Then there won't be anyone out here anymore.

Did you like kdkplantguy better?

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

Please don't get me banned with your magical elvish influence on the Webmaster! I promise to be good and not make fun of you and your curly-shoed kin ever again! Maybe.

• milwdave
    18 years ago

Okay...so I'm...um...curious. How'd they all grow?

Has anyone mounted any orchids to these things yet?

Dave
    Milwaukee