Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Any good persimmon salad recipes?

aachenelf z5 Mpls
14 years ago

I've become a bit addicted to these and was thinking of doing some sort of salad with persimmons for Christmas. It has to be something without cilantro since I'm already making another dish with that. I only mention this since a lot of the online recipes I've been finding have cilantro in them.

Kevin

Comments (10)

• orrin_h
    14 years ago

Kevin, I admire your tenacity in trying to talk to people over here-it's been dead as dead can be. I've been sore dismayed at the lack of food chat during this holiday season. Anyway, I feel for you and though I'm not much aquainted with the aforementioned persimmon (to my abiding shame), I went looking anyway and found a couple of things that sound tasty, the links to which I herewith link.

I'm doing desserts for Xmas dinner for a mess o' friends, more my forte.

-O-

Here is a link that might be useful: a simple but yummy sounding salad

• orrin_h
    14 years ago

This one seems reasonable too.

-O-

Here is a link that might be useful: another

• orrin_h
    14 years ago

Perhaps a bit more interesting (you immediately realised I've never tried any of these, of course; just going from the ingredients, experience and a decent palate). If you've already found all of these online yourself, well, at least we're almost chatting).

-O-

Here is a link that might be useful: furthermore

• orrin_h
    14 years ago

OK, one more. No cilantro in any of these per your requirements by the way.

-O-

Here is a link that might be useful: yeah well

• orrin_h
    14 years ago

Oh yeah, check out the last post on the 'cat pee' thread just below this one. So many things...bloke's wife sleeps on the guest bed; near full strength vinegar (oof); hmmm....

I know, nothing to do with food, but it's a hoot and I almost posted there but just couldn't somehow.

-O-

• arthurm
    14 years ago

I came, and i saw five in the number of posts and thought "a spark of life" but really, Fair suck of the sauce bottle....How can anyone actually like salad with persimmons? Yuk!

Off to read the last post in the cat pee thread.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    14 years ago

O

Much thanks. I too was nearly shocked out of my skull to see so many posts on my thread. Yes, this side is clearly nothing more than a corpse these days. I need to accept that and stop poking the thing in hopes of seeing what may ooze out.

Persimmons - I did see a couple of those recipes, but not the first one. I think that's the one for Christmas. It does look simple and I can imagine all those flavors working very well together. The other one with rocket leaves and white balsamic vinegar looks interesting too, but I don't feel like traveling all over the metro trying to locate those things. Rocket in December? In MN? Something tells me NO.

I can't believe you aren't munching on these on a daily basis. I thought they were really big out there in the Western Territories. Probably one of the only reasons I started buying them was they aren't too expensive in these parts. Some of these "exotics" can be a bit pricey in the tundra lands this time of year. The other day I was admiring the Buddhas Fingers or whatever they're called, but couldn't bring myself to shell out around $9 each. Glad I didn't since it looks like they're not all that edible.

A - What you talking about? Nothing wrong with persimmons in salad. The cat pee thing is interesting .... I guess. Different at least. We appreciate different.

K

• Driftless Roots
    14 years ago

I must admit I looked at your original post a couple of times and thought "no, I can't touch anything involving cilantro. Bleh!" However, a couple of winters ago I did made a nice persimmon pudding. They're abundant here in the stores now--next to the Buddha hands which I also wonder how one would use. Candied? My participation in the foodiverse has been somewhat curtailed over the last several months. I've lost a considerable amount of weight and gotten my cholesterol back to normal levels (yay!) but I do miss being able to whip up a turkey pot pie with a sauce parisienne and puff pastry top. Thank the gods for vegetable curries!

Orrin, did you do a Christmas Bird Count this year? I went for the first time for a bit on Saturday and nearly froze off my digits.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Shady - good to hear from you again and congrats on the weight loss and cholesterol thing. I pretty much stopped the baking months and months ago, but went a bit crazy a few weeks ago. Now I need my sugar fix on a daily basis, but have plans to kick the habit once again very soon.

I've tried persimmons in muffins and although they were good, I think the flavor was lost mixed with all the spices and such. I enjoy them much more as a simple fruit with nothing else added.

• orrin_h
    14 years ago

No CBC for me, the counting/logging etc distracts too much from the simple pleasure of birding (I'm selfish that way). It's really all I can do to keep a day list without forgetting something anyway.

I may have to explore this persimmon thing. I saw some at the market the other day but was too busy buying Xmas dessert stuff to bother with them. The dessert results were mixed this year: pumpkin pies were good but not fabulous, apple dumplings were excellent but the gingerbread (supposed to be the knock-off simple dessert just so we had enough) was tough (blaming the unfamiliar oven for that one-the temp guage was inaccurate and I had to turn it up and guess or the dumplings would have been ruined too). I want a dream kitchen.

-O-