Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
driftlessroots

Hot Topic #3: The Post-Orchid Life

Driftless Roots
16 years ago

Today I'm pondering what life's going to be like next spring when I'm "post-orchid." I'll still maybe seek them out in the wild and possibly even keep a plant or two around. But as for being a slipper collector, it's over. There's no payoff and no joy anymore. I don't have the conditions to grow many of them well apparently. As soon as the weather's decent for shipping they're going on the block. It's a pity I didn't decide this a couple of months ago. Now I'll probably have to wait another four unless I can unload them locally. Maybe I'll convince someone on Craigslist that they'd make great xmas presents.

I'm actually looking forward to growing only things that can handle true benign neglect. Any suggestions? Begonias? Ferns? African violets? Silk? Plastic?

Comments (11)

• clairewags
    16 years ago

OMG!! What??? No more orchids???? Good gravy. How many are you trying to unload? Like hundreds? I have under a hundred and I can't imagine trying to get rid of them. Set up a booth at the United Center for the Feb. orchid show.

I am getting LOTS of enjoyment out of my amaryllis! They look so cool and they haven't even opened up yet!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

You CAN'T do that! You won't be one of us. You'll be an outsider, a stranger, a freak. We won't have anything to talk about. What will happen to our talks about everything but orchids? You won't be allowed to participate because you don't grow them!

OK, get rid of the slippers, but I bet you'll come back to growing something orchid related. AV's are just plain boring. Don't do it.

• tuezday1
    16 years ago

Silk doesn't offend the tacky police too badly, as long as its thrown in the shower once or twice a year to get rid of dust.

I find ivy is good. I've had one in the same pot for close to 12 years. I've never even repotted it. It did perk up noticeably when I moved and it no longer resided in the bathroom. In the bathroom it was only variegated due to toothpaste splatter.

I've developed a new appreciation for bromeliads recently but it's possible it has as much to do with the fact they naturalize here, as anything else. Hence they are sinfully easy, as are orchids. I've even got some red variegated bromeliads, one is supposed to be rather rare. I also have a new appreciation for begonias and succulents but, well, it's the same as bromeliads, just stick a cutting in a pot and there you go.

I've been contemplating, though not deeply, the possibility of naturalizing slipper orchids. Don't know if it's possible but I'm all into naturalizing orchids to the extent possible. Wanna trade a couple, nothing fancy I know they can get pricey, for fresh oranges?

• sambac
    16 years ago

Oh, no, don't stop growing orchids - you will be tempted to leave the forum. There would not be a soul here to rekindle old posts!!

• michigoose
    16 years ago

That's Ok shady, I'll send you a hosta or....a Phal!

• komi
    16 years ago

perhaps you should try out a couple of everything and see what survives?

• ntgerald
    16 years ago

Laura, I have naturalized close to a thousand Phalaenopsis equestris in my farm. The roots are about a foot long in two months time.

A bit after that I had some Phal hieroglyphica and Dendrobium anosmum also on trees.

• tuezday1
    16 years ago

Hey Nelson, so you finally got your farm?

Yes, I know orchids can be naturalized. In the case of slipper orchids, I'm considering putting them in the ground after preparing an appropriate bed. All my terrestrials are going to get put in flower beds.

Someday, all my laelia are going to get stapled to trees, as soon as I own my own home again.

• me_171
    16 years ago

Oh I couldn't imagine getting rid of my slippers I love them.

I would love to give them a home, and I would hope you find a type to replace them, there has to be an orchid out there you could love as much as silk plants.

• albertan
    16 years ago

I just can't imagine a life without orchids! After raising them lovingly for years, suddenly I found myself bedridden. When my aide arrived in the AM, I got a "Hi, how are you and I'm taking ten!" She went out to the back yard, quickly checked the orchids and brought any new bloomers onto the patio for me to enjoy before starting my day. It was my incentive for overcoming adversity. When hurricane Wilma flattened and twisted everything, I was ready to just hire a truck to haul the whole mess away. Eight weeks later, members of my favorite orchid society had dug through the mess, salvaged a mess of bedraggled plants and restored things as best they could. A fellow forum member (from Oklahoma) actually sent me over four hundred plants to encourage me to continue! Several society friends still come
    every week to care for orchids, as I am physically limited in what I can do out there. As they come into bloom, I sell them on the silent auction table at meetings, knowing they are going to good homes. Still about 1500 left, so I don't think I have to plan a "life after orchids"

• me_171
    16 years ago

That is a great story, I wish I could be near you to help you with them also. I feel a pant of any type helps a living environment. It is natures filter.

Not to mention orchids are such an interesting thing to look at that one doesn't see that often (at least in my area).