Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
komi_gw

dish soap, laundry detergent, tub cleaner - brands please

komi
18 years ago

what brands are you all using? do you like/dislike it? I don't go through enough of most of this stuff to be able to compare. Here's the list:

1. dish soap (not dishwasher - that thing is broken)

2. laundry detergent - for whites, colors....?

3. bath tub cleaner

4. cling wrap - I'm sick of this stuff that won't stick to itself

5. kitchen floor etc cleaner (grease)

6. oven cleaner

7. frozen chicken nuggets

8. frozen toaster waffles (I basically have a craving for maple syrup right now)

hmm I think that's it. I do go through some of them reasonably quickly, but I prefer to buy in bulk so not much room to try them all out.

Comments (21)

• cbrf4irider
    18 years ago

1. Dawn is good for the environment and is used to clean animals in oil spills.
    2. Surf and Clorox (color safe and standard)
    3. The scrubbing bubbles guys, or Wal-Mart brand--depending on how much I feel like spending that day. and/or Soft Scrub
    4. Go to Sam's club and get Food Service Film by Reynolds. It's what the pros use for a reason ;)
    5. Swiffer wet.
    6. Huh? That's too much work.
    7. Gross.
    8. OMG Eggo mini cinnamon bread waffles. Good with butter only :P~
    9. Bar Soap: Irish Spring--DH likes it :)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    18 years ago

Can't believe I'm doing this - telling all my secrets. I guess this is what a snowy night in MN does to me. IÂve shoveled twice already. No more until the morning.

1. Anything ultra - like Sunlight, Dawn, Palmolive - never buy the Target brand. Your food will taste like perfume.
    2. Anything cheap. Just discovered the wonders of adding washing soda.. Will never use bleach again.
    3. Comet - the dry stuff
    4. Saran Wrap, although the Target stuff is OK
    5. Ammonia in water - my fav cleaner for anything non wood
    6. Easy Off - don't buy the cheap stuff. Not worth it.
    7. You must be kidding
    8. Ditto (I'm a from scratch type of person.

• komi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

well I'm shocked to be getting responses.

I can't find ammonia anywhere. I don't know what's wrong with this place.

7. how interesting. I thought there might be a magic brand out there, in the way we hope for a decent frozen pizza.

8. I don't like waffles, actually.... so suggestions for a medium to carry the maple syrup would be great. I suppose I could do pancakes.... (I'm a from scratch person too - most of the time. ask bada about chicken soup....(he just made fun of me. again.))

• cbrf4irider
    18 years ago

If you're looking for something to put your syrup on, pancakes, sausage, and syrup is great. yes. worth a trip to IHOP.

• turkeytaker
    18 years ago

1. Dawn. I like things that are blue.
    2. I've got a really huge container of Arm&Hammer stuff, and I'll use it until the container is cleaned.
    3. Dry Comet, Barkeeper's Friend, anything abrasive that takes the surface off.
    4. Aluminum foil. I'm cling-wrap impaired.
    5. Lemon kennel cleaner. Get a gallon jug, dilute it, and your floors are lemon fresh and free of parvo.
    6. Um...get a new one?
    7. Popcorn chicken rocks my world. Or get chicken and pan fry it.
    8. Get a waffle maker?

I have another question.

9. What's the cheapest yarn that doesn't feel like crap you can find?

• komi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was looking at A&H today but the boxes were gigantic - not small enough for a trial run. But I might actually get it next.

Lemon kennel cleaner :-)

9. is bar soap

1. is yarn.
  • tuezday1
    18 years ago

1. Whatever is on sale, dish soap is dish soap.
    2. Whatever laundry detergent is on sale, or the package colors strike my fancy and Oxytrol if I remember to dump some in the washer. By the way, Oxytrol is really good at cleaning fabric blinds (I just lay the blind open in the bathtub and dump in some oxytrol).
    3. Soft Scrub (the store brand). You can buy scrubbers with long handles, makes the job a lot easier. If you spray the shower with one of those daily after shower cleaners, it makes life easier.
    4. Clingwrap- I must concede, store brands just don't cut it here but nothing really works well. I just stick left overs and stuff in baggies or storage containers.
    5. Kitchen floor cleaner, if you have a really nasty floor there is nothing like Armstrong's Once in Done cleaner. If you are really feeling motivated, they have a vinyl wax stripper and wax that makes the floors look brand new (the stripper works without any elbow grease). With dogs, I need serious floor cleaners.
    6. ? What?
    7. ditto
    8. Yup Eggo's. You can also buy premade pancake mixes that come in tubs like butter. I've never tried them. I just use Eggo's (store brand usually). But, I think all it takes to make pancakes is mix, eggs and water.
    9. Don't use bar soap. Bed, Bath and Beyond has heavenly smelling liquid body washes. SEE, I don't always buy the store brands.

Just stick your maple syrup in a covered container. Did you really ask that question? Why do you want to repackage syrup? It comes in containers well suited for carrying.

I can't see you filling containers up in restaurants to take syrup home with you. And I doubt you're tapping a maple tree.

Ammonia is usually on a bottom shelf in either the cleaning isle or laundry isle. It comes in clear or yellow.

Were you text messaging from the store? Do you know you can comparison shop using Froggle? Just send them a text message asking for a price and they send a message back with stores and prices. This is almost exciting enough to make my cheap self get a cell phone.

I don't do yarn but if you spin, I can send you all the keesie hair you want. I'll even bathe him and clean his butt first. They are the only double-coated dog, so you get real fur, and not just hair. Isn't that special?

• clairewags
    18 years ago

1. Dawn
    2. Tide
    3. Soft Scrub
    4. I never use cling wrap- Glad Ware or baggies all the way.
    5. I have a steam mop. It only uses water that the machine warms up to a temp that kills bacteria. So no floor cleaners here.
    6. It has a self clean that burns all the crud off. No oven cleaners here either.
    No 7 or 8. The cleaner I use the most is 409 for the stove and counter tops. We have subway tile in the kitchen- all white- and it is almost impossible to keep clean and shiny. 409 and the shop towels you can get at home depot do the trick.

• shannon_widmer
    18 years ago

1. Dawn
    2. Era
    3. Greased Lightning
    4. I don't use cling wrap either. I can never get it to stick.
    5. Mr. Clean lemon scented
    6. I try to avoid this as long as I can.
    7. Every once in a while I go for the Tyson breaded strips. Not too bad.
    8. I have a waffle maker. If you're really craving maple syrup I have a recipe for maple-horseradish pork chops.

Stacy, I'm a handspinner so I can't recommend a good cheap yarn. Not because I'm a yarn snob, just because I'm up to my eyeballs in handspun.

Laura, I haven't tried to spin dog hair yet but I hear it makes a pretty nice yarn.

• turkeytaker
    18 years ago

Really neat, Shannon. I spun for a few years when I was about eight, but I'm not particularly good at it and knit it up really quickly.

I know someone who spins doghair and knits sweaters and things for the owner of the dog from it. It's sort of...strange, but I guess I might be able to see the appeal. Keesie hair would probably be brilliant for it.

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Hmmm...I can't keep track in what order this is anymore.

Dish soap: Palmolive, Dawn, or Joy. NEVER buy the cheap stuff or the stuff from the dollar store, they tend to not clean very well and you have to use a lot of it.

I use amonia on the floor. Works well. Sometimes I add vinegar, sometimes not. NEVER use bleach with it unless you are trying to commit suicide.

Comet or softscrub depending on what I have to clean.

Since I have a front loader, I use Tide HE, and not as much as they say. I add oxydol or Biz for non-chlorine bleach.

409, Simple Green, Goo Gone, Contractor's Disolve-it or Lestoil, depending on what I happen to grab. I'm a Lestoil user from way back.

Waffles: I make up a huge batch of my own, interleave with wax paper, or just freeze on a cookie sheet and dump in a bag. They taste better and are better for you than store bought and it doesn't take much time. Dump in toaster just like you would an eggo. I don't like any of the frozen types other than my own.

Chicken nuggets, hotwings, etc. My daughter will only eat Tyson.

I don't like cling wrap as my husband tends to microwave with it on and that's a no no as carcinogens are put out by this process. I usually use tin foil or wax paper, or plastic baggies.

Bar soap: Face: Dove, or Clinic. Body soap: Zest all the way. To remove poison ivy: Felsnaptha or some home-made lye soap I made during a museum demo. Many people have an allergic reaction to Irish Spring....

Siberian Huskies are also double coated and I can sent whomever wants all they want for spinning....

Oven Cleaner: Well, I have a self cleaning, but I do use the Easy-Off non-heat one to clean the goo off the YEARS of crud which accumulated on the stove vent from the former owners and on the Appalachian stove insert doors...

• garlicgrower
    18 years ago

Dish soap - lemon smelling ones are nice, but I don'thave a favorite brand.

Arm& Hammer Laundry det. either powder, or if the liquids are on sale, the unscented! (yes!) and/or the one with non-chlorine bleach.

Cling wrap - saran if really necessary or go with some other method!

Cleaner - Ajax or Comet, or if on delicate surface - the Scrubbin' bubbles stuff. I don't want to use the aerosol can, but the product usually works on scum that other products don't budge.

Or, use full strength vinegar. Someone did a study that showed vinegar killed 99% of germs just like a lysol type product.

We make pancakes from scratch...also waffles until the darn waffle iron malfunctioned.

Anyway! about that maple syrup. I like to trade genuine amber Massachusetts maple syrup for orchids :-)
    So, next March make me an offer of some fabulous orchid and I'll send you a pint. :-) Substitute maple syrup for molasses in a ginger bread recipe, and you'll have a fabulous treat.

Yarn: Lion brand "Homespun" is what I'm using now to make ultr-large scarves. Knits up very soft and fluffy and somewhat springy, so when you wrap one of the scarves around your head twice, it feels good and does not unwrap. (It's wicked cold here already!)

Merry merry...
    Maryanne in below zero Massachusetts

• tuezday1
    18 years ago

Truth be known,Windex works great for most stuff and even cleans fido accidents.

• clintdawley
    18 years ago

1. Ajax - costs .99 cents
    2. Cold Water Cheer - it saves on your energy bill and works great
    3. Chlorox cleaner with bleach
    4. Only buy Glad, the rest is cheap crap
    5. Chlorox cleaner with bleach
    6. I haven't cleaned my oven in 2 years.
    7. beaks and a$$holes. Yuck.
    8. These taste like hockey pucks...all brands.

• rita_h
    18 years ago

I buy everything in bulk from Costco, so the brand is Kirkland or something like that.

For #8 - Trader Joe's makes frozen banana waffles that are delicious, stays crispy. I think it's wheat-free, made from rice-flour or something, but I just like the texture. They also have a good maple syrup, too ... I like grade B better than grade A -- flavor is more robust.

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

1. dish soap --can't remember, maybe Palmolive. It's green.
    2. laundry detergent - Tide Free
    3. bath tub cleaner -- Method
    4. cling wrap - Glad, I actually think the ones that really stick to themselves are a pain. Reusable containers and ziplock bags are my friends. Also been using that product by Glad that's kinda like parafilm
    5. kitchen floor etc cleaner (grease) -- White vinegar
    6. oven cleaner -- self-cleaning
    7. frozen chicken nuggets -- ew! I brine and roast a load of chicken breasts to keep in the freezer for all sorts of quick dishes.
    8. frozen toaster waffles -- When I make waffles I make a big batch and freeze the extras. Favorites so far are pumpkin , cornbread, cranberry.

• clairewags
    18 years ago

Mmm. Tell me more about the pumpkin waffles......

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

Missed the add-ons:

9. Bar Soap --the little square ones from L'Occitane.

1. yarn--Used to buy mill ends on cones. Some was merely adequate, some was amazingly good. Prices were consistently a fraction (as in a quarter to tenth) of comparable products at retail. Can I remember the company name? Of course not.
  • tuezday1
    18 years ago

Maryanne, I'd trade you for some good garlic any day.

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

dish detergent - I do NOT want one (Dawn) which "...is used to clean animals in oil spills." I want one which I KNOW will KILL all orchid growers most hated insect, scale, on the occasions that I need it. AJAX works.

Ivory no longer works; it was reformulated several years ago.

--Stitz--

• ssears45_msn_com
    13 years ago

Have you heard of Method's French lavender dish soap? If so, where do you get it?