Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
komi_gw

how long does it take for scotch to burn your tongue?

komi
18 years ago

curious minds want to know.

second query: how long can douse an orchid with alcohol before it hates you?

third question: what size aquarium should I get? I'm thinking one of the taller ones (relative to width) would be better for the orchids?

Comments (17)

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

1) 28 seconds
    2) 29 seconds
    3) I've come to the conclusion that no aquarium is good for orchids because you have to access them from the top. There's a reason Orchidariums have their doors on the front.

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Scotch doesn't burn your tongue if you drink good single malts. :)

I sort of agree with Mark, but...having said that, I have used a 29 gal. and a 10 gal. Another drawback is that you are restricted on height. so...if you're growing masdies, go with a 10.

• komi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

lol - but this is a single malt :O

I'm thinking of either a boggy thing or dirt plants (I've got some mini gesneriads that require a terrarium) in the bottom, mini orchids on mounts....

I thought about building a case for the orchids but I'm too lazy. (My excuse is that I have zero workspace to put anything together.)

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

Before I abandoned my aquarium setup I was looking into just removing the front glass and installing some kind of doors. My biggest hassles were having to stand on something to do anything in the tank and having to move a shop light every time I wanted to access since they were sitting on the plexi lid. If you could overcome those objections you probably really could do a nice kind of terrarium. Unfortunately I promised my aquarium to someone for fish before I realized I would like to have grown mosses and ferns etc. in it. But shoulder-to-shoulder pleuros in pots just seemed---uncomfortable? too. I had a few mounts but wanted more. No room with the potted plants at almost the same level. I'd imagine you'd want a terrarium type setup to be fairly high so the mounties and lower, bottom growies don't get in each other's way. (sorry for the stream of consciousness approach)

• tuezday1
    18 years ago

I didn't know scotch could burn your tongue. Unless maybe it was coming back up.

I had never considered turning an orchid into a drinking buddy. Maybe they aren't so quiet after a drink or two. I wonder how they'd prefer to take their scotch?

Those orchidariums they had at the NY show, I thought were a really interesting idea and design. Not sure how you'd light them though, for use outside of a show. Something like that would be easy to make, if you know someone so inclined. It would also be easy to go vertical with that type of design.

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Hmm. First of all, you take sips of scotch...you don't belt it. Second, if you put 2 ice cubes in an oldfashioned glass, and put in about enough Scotch to bring it up to your second knuckle, then wait...until the Scotch gets cold....at least that's how I drink it.

I'm not Scottish enough to drink it any neater than that...I just do on the rocks. :)

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

I just can't abide scotch and I find the current trendiness among young people perplexing. However, if it keeps them from uttering the vile word "appletini" so be it. Now, bourbon. That's another matter. Mother's milk indeed!

• komi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

lol. I love scotch - probably the third type of alcohol I ever had. gin (with OJ), red wine, then scotch. I like it neat, at most with a couple of drops of water. Believe me, savoring it too before swallowing will burn your tongue.

Love bourbon too.

"appletini"? wazzdat?

If I had the floorspace, I would be looking at a hex terr table - easy to reach in from above. For now, I am going to try to set up a test run fogger and pump in a big plastic tub and see how the logistics work. Alas, it's late Sat afternoon already so I probably won't get to it this weekend....

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Rofl...I love scotch, but only single malts...and I savor it, but I drink it on the rocks...I love the ones which have peaty/smoky overtones...YUM.

Appletinis are apple martinis...but, I don't know how they are made since I have never had a martini of any stripe.

Summer drink: Gin and tonics. YUum..

• tuezday1
    18 years ago

When I was in high school we used to drink sloe gin. Does anyone know why, cause I sure don't.

Bushmill's is the best. I know it's not scotch.

If I'm going to try drinking with the orchids tonight, I'd best go find some alcohol.

• cbrf4irider
    18 years ago

Gin and Tonic (T&T) for the win ;) My Dad would drink it, and it's fast becoming the next generation's drink of choice--starting with me :)

• komi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

peaty/smokey :-)

Drinking with the orchids is nice, but don't go near any spikes. And remeber to teach them not to savour for longer than 29 secs or they'll burn ;-)

• jimshy
    18 years ago

Gee,

I've been drinkin' single malts for years, and no scorch marks yet . . .

Re: the orchidarium, I went cheap, bought an acquarium, already had a big CFL with hood, and as soon as I can get a computer fan stuck in it, I'm posting pics! My galeandra already flowered!

Jim

• clintdawley
    18 years ago

Gross!

I'd rather drink urine than scotch!

A nice Midori sour, a margarita, or a Belgian lambic for me, please!

• clairewags
    18 years ago

Gin and tonic I can drink like water but it makes me mean. I find Tanqueray (sp) tastes like pine trees and prefer Beefeater. I love vodka gimlets- but I gotta watch how fast I drink those too.

In the summer a good whiskey sour does it for me- and if I'm feeling sweet, raspberry Stoli & Lemonade.

If you try to feed me scotch straight or on the rocks I'll gag.

I like wine. That about covers it. I tend to like my reds bold & peppery- but really like most kinds. Whites I like crisp and with a citrus finish. No 'buttery' or sweet whites.

• cbrf4irider
    18 years ago

Claire, funny you should mention that about the gin. I am generally a happy drunk, but gin makes me emotional, sad. I still like a good T&T, but I have to be careful.

Raspberry Stoli and Lemonade ... sounds good ... makes me want to have a BBQ and serve uhm lemonade :)

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

Just no gin after Labor Day.