Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
driftlessroots

Hot Topic #1: Concentration/Dilution

Driftless Roots
16 years ago

I just had a great weekend. Really, I did. In spite of, or perhaps because of the inclement weather I spent all of both days keeping very busy around the house. Between "necessary" stuff like laundry and cooking and the "fun" stuff like reading/planning/thinking/doing of my various hobbies and interests I managed to keep myself occupied from before sunup until well after dark. I really had a great time and could have kept it up for a week easily.

Fast forward to today. I'm at work and I'm dealing with exactly the same things I was dealing with last year at this time. Nothing is changed. Nothing.

So why do I spend all my free time entertaining myself and enjoying life when I could be working on changing or furthering my work life? Is that necessarily a bad thing? If I'd really found something to do for a living that fed my soul as well as my wallet would I still be so avid about my outside interests? What do you think? What's your life like in this respect?

Comments (15)

• komi
    16 years ago

Ok this is deep. A deep hot dish. Will have to get my thinking cap before I comment OT (that'd be ON Topic).

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

This is extraordinarily deep and may in fact be too deep for this side. We'll see. All I can say is I think about this lots and have lots I could say - most likely none of it insightful. I'm going to pass for now since it would take too much writing and I don't like doing long posts. I suspect most folks don't read them anyway.

• komi
    16 years ago

There he goes again. This one too deep for this side, the other one too orchidy for this side, but hey, a b*tch thread on the other side? No problemo. (oops, that should have been a team-building thread.)

I'm still trying to figure out the linkage between the thread title and the post. After all, this is Shady's thread - we should take it in sips and nibbles at a time :-)

• arthurm
    16 years ago

Furthering your work life? That would involve playing all those corporate games that some people love so much.

I'm actually just about to go to work at the golf club. This will involve pulling out some weeds, a bit of snipping, sweeping and lots of chat. Of course, i'm not going to get paid to do this. But at least i do not have to worry about goals, team building and other bulldust that has made the modern workplace perhaps not enjoyable.

As for the title of this thread?????

• komi
    16 years ago

in a way, doesn't it boil down to: is it half full or half empty?

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

Would you prefer I just go away? Sorry, I won't. (at this point I should insert some kind of emote, but we don't have those do we?)

• komi
    16 years ago

Really, Kevin. You should first make it clear who you're talking to. It's rude not to, you know. Where on earth are your manners?

/s/
    The Gross One

P.S. speaking of work, I am out sick today and have managed no work and no fun and no chores.

• Driftless Roots
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry, the post title wasn't meant to be a mystery. I just didn't write the body in the manner I was thinking. Essentially I feel like I'm living a life of dilution. Almost everything that catches my eye becomes an opportunity for exploration and so I am a dabbler in many fields. It's actually very interesting and happy-making for the most part. The opposite approach would be a single-minded concentration and mastery of one thing. I've tried it (e.g. out with almost all the orchids but the slippers) but then I'm easily distracted. Heck, I'm even having trouble reading lately. I try to look at all the words in a paragraph at once and my eyes jump all over the place before I remember they have to come in order.

• komi
    16 years ago

distraction is the bane of America today, said .... umm, I forget who.

I was thinking that I might have to say that I can't really talk about how I feel about work because here are people from my office who know my gw nic, but on further thought, I don't think it makes a difference now. (Last year this time, it probably would have made a difference.)

I see it as a sliding balance. First the bottom line - it's good if the job pays enough to handle all the bills. (Not including mortgage. We won't go there. At least I won't, or I'll end up in major rant mode.)

After that's been met, I want a job that I enjoy enough, but don't need to love it. The sliding balance come to play re: the stress level and hrs required. More stress and more hours, the more I'd better love the job. I can do a 9-5 job that I don't love, but a 12 hr day requires some love. Money alone won't do it (assuming the bills are taken care of), although it helps. I guess I focus on stress and hrs because those can get excessive in my field.

As for having a job that is a hobby too, I think for the most part turning a hobby into a money-maker requires so many compromises and too many restrictions (deadlines, budget, being nice etc) that it would take too much joy out of it. And of course, you can't turn 100 interests all into an income stream.

I do, though, wish I had royalty income. You know, copyright, tm or patent royalty. Do the work once, and if the thing sells, income keeps coming in for 70 years after my death (for copyright).

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

For a while there was this mantra or book title or something floating around out there - "Do What you Love and the Money will Follow". At first glance that sounds all warm and fuzzy and quite Zen, but if you think about it can most people really find one thing they love that much? Doesn't it assume that once you find that one thing you're going to be willing to devote all your time & energy (probably 16 hours a day/6-7 days a week to doing that one thing)? After all that's about the only way one becomes financially successful to the degree most people want to be financially successful.

Still can't say I've found that one thing and have serious doubts it even exists for me.

• komi
    16 years ago

I've met a few people who really honestly seem to have interest predominantly in one thing. Not for me, though. I'm glad I left the UK before I had to narrow my classes down to 3 (at most 4).

• albertan
    16 years ago

After 25 years of retirement I can say I am truly enjoying every day, doing just what I want to do--or not--with no one to please but myself. And I manage to do that VERY well! With health stabilized (and mentality only slightly questionable),
    I look forward to every tomorrow. Hope you will all reach this absolutely unconditional "joy of life" stage!

• komi
    16 years ago

Hi Alberta!

• albertan
    16 years ago

Hi, Komi. Just back from a second 2007 Orchid Society Holiday Party, so may I wish everyone here a Happy Holiday Season while I am in a festive mood? Seems so early, but have two more to attend next week. Easy food budget this month!
    Happy Holidays, all!

• Driftless Roots
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Way to to, Alberta! It sounds like you've got it all figured out.