Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbrf4irider

How do you spell Hannukah?

cbrf4irider
18 years ago

... I know that is a correct spelling, but there are a dozen or so "correct" spellings ... does anyone know the proper traditional Jewish spelling? I am about to send a Christmas card with baby Jesus on the front to a Jewish family and want to be as sensitive and thoughtful as possible ... if that's possible heheh. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• tuezday1
    18 years ago

I find it's best not to worry about things like that, invariably I end up looking more ignorant than the average person. Sometimes average is okay.

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Well, I think one of the problems is that Hebrew doesn't translate exactly into the English alphabet.... The "CH" which you often see as Channukah is an attempt to get the gutteral, sort of throat clearing roughly translates as an "h", like the ceremonial tent covering used at weddings which is called a "chupa" and is pronounced "hoopa".

However, I will defer to any Jewish person, and recognize that even there the many different traditions between Ashkenazi and Sephardic as well as others I'm not even aware of!

• Sue_
    18 years ago

The proper and traditional spelling is Chet, Nun, Kaf, Hey. If you want to use Roman letters, then it's pretty up for grabs. I myself like the look of "Chanukkah", but that's totally arbitrary. In other words, our Ms. Goose is right.

I assume, of course, that this family will know that you're making a joke? And that they are likely to find it amusing?

• cbrf4irider
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think they will appreciate a the thought of including them in my Christmas greeting list. I already sent out the card with the spelling I had in the subject line. The man, a dentist, wrote me a prescription for swollen gums once, and I made them a stained glass star of David as a thank you, which they really appreciated.

These days, people seem to be sensitive with all the PC wording--Happy Holidays and Holiday Tree instead of Christmas tree ... I understand to an extent, but I think others should likewise understand--and appreciate--other traditions in religion and otherwise. I wouldn't be insulted if anyone wished me a Happy Hannukah.

Happy Holidays!

• Sue_
    18 years ago

Nothing wrong with the spelling in the subject line, and I'm sure they'll appreciate the thought, regardless of how it is expressed.

And yes, you wouldn't be insulted if somebody wished you a Chappy Chanukkah . . . but then again, you probably weren't told many times growing up that you needed to be a Jew in order to be forgiven for your sins and gain eternal life, and that otherwise damnation awaited you. That might change your gut reaction a little bit. I know that kind of language certainly colours the way I react when somebody wishes me a merry christmas. Or this "Jesus is the Reason for the Season" crap. Thanks. Nobody else celebrates anything in the Winter, huh? Or I guess we just don't count. Not that I don't sympathize with the reaction against present-hysteria and Santa-worship. Crass consumerism, with a bearded face from a Coca-Cola ad line, soaked in numbing, soporific religion.

I should clarify  I have absolutely no problem at all with anything you have said or implied. I'm just venting . . . and kinda joking around. PLEASE do not take offense.

I really don't hold it against anybody when they say "merry christmas"; I know they mean well. But it grates. Not that I really like "Happy Holidays" all that much either, since I'm not religious, and do not celebrate holidays, and don't much care for the assumption that "well, at least you believe in god." Personally I like saying "Have a happy and prosperous Peak Retail Season", which I think is much more accurate than the other relevant alternatives.

• cbrf4irider
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good points, both seriously and humorously. I was hoping for a non-christian take on the matter :)

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

"Have a happy and prosperous Peak Retail Season",

Excellent! Mind if I use that one?

• Sue_
    18 years ago

Go for it. "Merry Peak Retail Season" works equally well.

• komi
    18 years ago

I just noticed this thread.

I don't think whether you say happy holidays or merry Christmas has anything to do with PC or not. For businesses, it's business decision. For government, it's a legal decision. For personal correspondence, it should basically be the same as sending out any other kind of card - you usually send a card appropriate to what the recipient is celebrating.

Multiple choice Q:

Next weekend is Jane's birthday. Jane's friend Mary is getting married next weekend. Jane should send what kind of card to Mary?

1. a birthday card
    2. a birthday card, but with a note inside congratulating Mary on her wedding
    3. a wedding card
    4. a You're My Best Friend card

The only exception I can think of is if you're making an announcement - wedding announcement, new home etc. So if Christmas cards are intended as an announcement that you're celebrating Christmas, it makes sense to send one regardless of the recipient's religion.

Of course, religion makes it more complicated as most religious people would rather not send a card from another religion. Thus the happy holidays, or in my case happy new year.

So anyway, I try to wish my Christian friends a Merry Christmas, but I don't always remember who celebrates on twelth night, not the 25th. When people wish me a Merry Christmas, it's nice but doesn't mean much. When people who really know I'm not Christian say it, it's a bit ... self-centered? evangelical? (Depends on who's saying it, really.) But you know, it's really nice to get good wishes for the new year. (and yeah, I try to remember to wish my Chinese friends a happy new year at the right time of year.) Warm wishes all around is how I'd like it.

Just another perspective.

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Hmmm. Christmas cards to me are not an announcement, in fact I am very careful to select several different boxes of cards....one which just says happy new year, one which says happy holidays, and then the Christmas ones.

Silly woman, Jane should send a wedding card to Mary. Mary should send Jane a birthday card (if she's good friends) or a wedding invitation (if Jane is invited). It's Jane's birthday, not Mary's. And I believe that there should be 2 cards in this case if Mary is sending an invitation to Jane as well as a Birthday card....Weddings shouldn't be globbered up with stamp saving, unless they are very casual weddings (like my brother's which was pot-luck, the reception, not the couples).

Of course, I just pulled a boner yesterday....well, a semi boner, I bought a package of Christmas cards with a beautiful picture of Santa on it....of course I didn't notice until I got home that the sentiment was in Spanish....Fortunately, Carlos' half of the family will just think that I have thought of them....and if I send any to my Anglo friends they'll get a hoot out of my ditzyness.