Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbarry_gw

HAVE: Challenge: Paph. Black Buddha x Kevin's Wine

cbarry
16 years ago

This plant is somewhat of a rescue project. I'll try to post pictures tonight of the plant and flower. This was a really nice plant until the dog got hold of it (in bloom, so she ripped up the flower too!). What remains is 1 large rooted 'parent' fan, and 1 new lead/fan as a separate piece. The baby should be capable of growing roots, it just hasn't yet, the parent is sulking. I'm pretty sure that the parent has some roots, but I'd have to check to be sure. It came from EOoM a couple of years ago and blooms during the winter. It should be fine once the sulking is over, but I just don't have the patience to wait for that to happen. The flower is actually quite large and a burgundy red/maroon color. Nice.

So this is free for postage and a story. Hmmm, I love my dog (most of the time), so lets hear some animal stories, or wine stories since wine is part of this plant's parentage.

Thanks!

Carolyn

Comments (8)

• cbarry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is the plant in question-

{{gwi:136989}}

{{gwi:136990}}

Carolyn

• cutterpup
    16 years ago

I love my dog too, so much that my screen name is his..Cutterpup. Cutter is fine around plants, so any paph would be safe with him. his claim to fame though is his coat. he is a lab/welsh corgi cross and has a long, corgi double coat that is the color of a yellow lab. His coat is so famous that it is the lining of choice for the local bird nests. He lies still for the carolina wrens to pluck his fur but the other day he suddenly rushed to the door to be let in. Flying away was a hugh mockingbird with a beak full of fur. After a trauma like that I had gave him hugs and milkbones while I drank a glass of wine to calm his nerves.
    In all seriousness, I love paphs and would love to nurse either parent or baby back to their glory.
    Judy

• whisst
    16 years ago

Hiya i got a puppy, named Pandora, she is a variegated lol I mean brindled boston terrier. So far she has not got into my plants, but not for lack of trying, lol. I have a trailing ivy that is suspended by a hook on my ceiling, and I caught her yesterday making running leaps at. Then she would fall short, oh by five feet or so! So i think I will never have a problem with her reaching it! If I could get the baby, I know I could bring it back to life and beauty!
    thanks whisst

• junglspy
    16 years ago

ok, i don't have a dog story, but i've got a few cat tales...
    when i first started growing orchids, i had two phals and a dend. i thought they were doing great(they weren't). well i had them a wobbly little red table right in front of the window. i had a little gray kitty who always jumped up on this table to the window sill, but regardless of this, i though this was just a fabulous spot for them. one day i went out of town for a week. i came home to the biggest mess ever. to my horror, the cat had knocked the entire table over and proceeded to have a ball playing with my uprooted plants for the entire week i was gone. needless to say all the orchids and the other plants on the table died. somehow i got over my sadness and bought more orchids. which i proceeded to kill as well, before i finally got the hang of things. i also had the neighbor's cat pee on a cute little catt(lol) which died also. this all taught me one thing...orchids and cats(well, playful ones, at least) don't mix!!!

• jlynn
    16 years ago

I rescued my first orchid when our Yorkie, Baby, was a year old. She had already proven herself to be a wonderful gardening buddy. Baby would pull & dig dandylions out of the area we were turning into yard and garden. The poor phal was barely alive, looked like it would croak with wrong look. Baby couldn't resist, sneaking up, sniffing, then giving each of the 2 withered leaves a little kiss when it came home. Then looking up at mommy and doing her little "I fixed it" dance. She still helps me with all my plants, keeping an eye on me, sniffing flowers, kissing sickly plants, and never ever trying to eat or injur one. :) Needless to say that was over 4 years ago, the phal survived blooms every year and produced keikeis-several of them and they all just finished blooming & one is starting another keikei!

Hmmmm...I've never heard of a Yorkie plant doctor.

• cbarry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great stories! But it doesn't have to be just cats and dogs, all animal stories qualify.

Thanks for the fun :P
    Carolyn

• jlynn
    16 years ago

Carolyn,
    Who does this lovely beauty go to then? lol Can't wait to find out.
    Thanks for doing this so wonderfully. If you have other orchids needing a home I'd be very very very interested. :)
    J'Lynn

• cbarry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I needed help to make the decision, so it went to a house vote. The cats (2) were bored (as cats will be), and abstained. The dogs (2) held a secret vote, so I don't know who voted for which story. So I enlisted DH to help make the decision.

We think that this plant needs Baby's special gift, so J'Lynn - I'll send you an email because I'll need your address.

Thank you all so much! I hope you're having fun. I know that we are here. When I have a little time in the next few days, I'll post the next challenge (there are maybe 2-3 left).

Carolyn

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz