Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lumpy_j

WANTED: Group trade

James _J
10 years ago

I like that you guys are trying get something going over here.

Here is my idea, 5 people post 3 plants each for trade on this thread. When we reach 5 people and 15 plants, each poster selects 3 plants from the group they would like. We select NFL draft style, everyone picks one plant in the order your plants are put up for trade.

My three plants are

Bulb Medusae- blooming size plant

Brassia Bill Switzer- blooming size plant

Ansellia Africana garden party - small cutting several years from flowering.

I'm open to input from anyone to inprove on this if anyone has any ideas.

James

Comments (16)

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    10 years ago

I am in! Here are my three (which are already posted) - All 3 are blooming size

Tolumnia Pretty in Pink
    Potinara Blazing Gold 'Hot Flash'
    Goodaleara Tahitian Dancer

Thanks for the idea James!

• James _J
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great!

Hopefully we can get a few more people. I will try to post photos of the plants tomorrow.

James

• jlynn
    10 years ago

Great idea! I lost all but one poor sad phal after my divorce :( trying to start over with everything. I have other plants that are ready for trade how would that be?

• James _J
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the Ansellia " garden party" yellow flower slight fragrance flowers in late fall. It will get large up to 3' canes.
    {{gwi:137851}}

This is the Brassia " Bill Switzer" yellow / mahogany flower.
    {{gwi:137852}}

Bulb. Medusae, I never got this one to flower, I don't think I can give it the right conditions
    {{gwi:137853}}

I added 2 more, first one is a Nobile Dendrobium keiki
    {{gwi:137854}}

This is a Dend. kingianum keiki
    {{gwi:137855}}

• James _J
    Original Author
    10 years ago

J Lynn, I guess it would depend on what types of plants you had. It doesn't look like anyone else is jumping in.

James

• lea1023
    10 years ago

Hi James! I'm interested in your bulbo. (hint, hint!)

Here's my list:
    Sarco fitzhart
    Sarco hartmanii
    Brassia verrucosa
    C Heathii
    Miltonia Sandy's Cove

• James _J
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Welcome! Sarco Hartmanii is on my wish list.

I would like to wait a little longer to see if anyone else joins in. I guess we should pick a date to start swapping, maybe early September.

To anyone who has sent e-mails- you have to check the box on you preferences page to allow people to reply to you.

I find myself looking to chop parts off all of my plants now to trade. I already have 5 more ready to go.

James

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    10 years ago

Greeting all!

I need to update the status of my trade listing. I have traded away the three plants posted here but I do have others to trade.

Den agggregetum
    Oncidium Gower's Ramsey
    Oncidium Twinkle (the white variety)
    Masdevallia Celtic Frost
    Phalaenopsis Little Gem Stripes
    Phalaenopsis equestris
    Phrag Sedinii

I could trade any of these listed here. But I am not sure that we are going to be able to recruit enough additional people/orchids to get the draft style trade up and going. I propose that the three of us who are actively participating on this trade arrange our trades in a more traditional, but open manner. With just three people I think we could probably each get our top picks. But I will defer to James as the initiator of this thread to make that call.

• James _J
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK with me.
    I still have the plants in the photos above.
    Ansellia Africana "Garden Party"
    Brassia Bill Switzer
    Bulb. Medusae
    Dend Love Memory (nobile type) keiki
    Dend. Kingianum keiki

I also have
    Cym. Sinese
    Laeliea anceps "Irwin"
    Dend Bigibbum compactum (small 2 growths)

The Dendrobiums are small so I would put all three together as one trade. I will put up more photos tomorrow

James

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    10 years ago

Great. All of mine are blooming size divisions that should bloom in their next blooming season. The only one that may take a while longer is the Phrag. It is a single growth division but it has done very well over the summer and is producing 1 or 2new growths.

I also have a LC. Hwa Yuan Angel 'Little Beauty' up for trade.

James - I am interested in your Brassia and your Laelia. Let me know if anything on my list is of interest to you. I can send you pics of the ones you are interested in.

Thanks.

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    10 years ago

And Lea - I am interested in the following from your list:

Sarco Fritzhart (I know the other one is on James's list already)
    Cattleya Heathii
    Miltonia Sandy Cove

Let me know if anything on my list interests you.

Also I have a few seedlings for trade too just in case anyone is interested:
    Aerangis mystacidii
    Otaara Hwa Yuan Bay 'She Shu'
    Slc. Mini doris

• James _J
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are more photos

Laelia Anceps "Irwin"
    This was a back bulb division from last year. Below is the mother plant in flower. The new growth is spaced far apart which makes it hard to keep this in a pot.
    {{gwi:137856}}
    {{gwi:137857}}

Cymbidium Sinense
    This plant split in half while repotting and removing old bulbs in the spring. The pot is a bit to big but it was all I had at the time. It is potted in Orchiata bark.
    {{gwi:137858}}

These are the 3 Dend. keikis. Kingianum, Nobile, Bigibbum
    {{gwi:137859}}

• James _J
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am Interested in:

Sarco Hartmanii
    Miltonia Sandys Cove
    Onc. Twinkle
    Masd. Celtic Frost

I already have a Phal Equestris and Dend Aggregetum, other than that I would take and send anything else.

I don't need photos, since most of what I have is pretty small anything I get would be more than fair.

I would send the Brassia and Laelia in the pot but they are due to be repotted

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    10 years ago

Hi James - the Sarco Hartmanii and Milt. Sandy Cove are from Lea's list, not mine. I am also interested in those. :-)

I will email you about the Masdie and the Oncidium. Also, Feel free to send the brassia and the Laelia bare roots. It will save on shipping.

Thanks for trading.

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    10 years ago

Hi James - the Sarco Hartmanii and Milt. Sandy Cove are from Lea's list, not mine. I am also interested in those. :-)

I will email you about the Masdie and the Oncidium. Also, Feel free to send the brassia and the Laelia bare roots. It will save on shipping.

Thanks for trading.

• James _J
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I missed that in your post, I would like one of the Sarcos the fitzhart or Hartmanii it doesn't matter which one. The rest I don't care too much about as long as I don't have it already.
    I guess it is a little confusing to keep track of who has what and who wants what.

James