Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Pure White Cattleyas

jane__ny
10 years ago

Looking for a pure white,-no pink, purple, yellow, etc.- Catt. I know they exist but can't remember names or where to find one.

Jane

Comments (20)

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

I have C Margaret Hort. Have numerous divisions, will be glad to send you piece if this is what you want.

Nick

• terpguy
    10 years ago

So yellow in the throat is not acceptable?

I have Cattleya Angel Bells 'Susie' AM/AOS that is a delightful white. But it has yellow inside the throat, if that's not good for you.

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

Go to page 5 of the Gallery and the 4th or 5th post down is: Cattleya bowringiana albacens 'Tower Grove' It is much more attractive than the picture but it definitely has a yellow throat. I have a division of that one too.

Nick

• arthurm
    10 years ago

I wondered about the yellow in the throat thingo! Some very desirable White "Floofy" hybrids were disqualified.

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Very True Arthur. But everyone is entitled to like and want what they want. Nothing wrong with that at all, especially with something as personal as our orkids:)

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. For years I had a big, floofy white Catt. I got the division from an old timer at my Orchid Society and was told the name was something like, Hawaiian wedding - something like that sticks in my mind.

I tried searching for it and found a Hawaiian Wedding Song but it is not the flower.

Because I sold/donated most of my collection when I moved I wanted to replace it, thinking a pure white Catt would be easy to find. Not so.

My plant was pure white, no coloring on the lip, even slightly. I loved it and was beautiful when it flowered.

This weekend is my new Orchid Society annual show and I spent time talking with some of the vendors. A few immediately mentioned Hawaiian Wedding Song. One vendor said the orchid I was looking for is an old classic which isn't around anymore.

Thank you Nick for the offer. Your plant is beautiful and I don't detect any yellow in your photo. It does look solid white. It is not the plant I had. Mine was a floof.

Arthur, I love 'Breckinridge Snow' and remember it. I thought it had a lavender stripe on the lip, which I don't see in your photo. It is not the plant I had.

I find myself feeling sentimental about old plants that I no longer have and thought they would be easy to replace. So far, that hasn't been the case.

I find myself getting tired of all the new crosses and combinations which just don't give me the thrill of the old ones. Guess I'm just getting too old!

Jane

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

I have Hawaiian Wedding Song which is beautiful and very fragrant along with several other floofs which are pure white but all have the yellow throat. I don't recall ever seeing a floof which was pure white. This Friday I will meet a member who has many of the old classic crosses from the Stewart era. I will ask him.

SBOE has a nearly completely white Catt walkeriana var alba 'Pendentive' AM/AOS at;

http://www.sborchid.com/plantdisplay.php?ocode=C00000225

Check it out, it might be close enough.

Nick

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Nick. I was remembering a very floofy, large flower. I do like that Intermedia alba though.

If you remember to ask the member about an old classic, I'd appreciate it. I wish I could find my old notes as I don't believe it was Hawaiian Wedding Song. The name was probably wrong.

The friend who gave it to me is long gone. If he liked a member of the club, he would often give away divisions and pieces of plants. I kept two of his plants

He had a huge home and greenhouse in Connecticut which he loved to share with visitors. He was an AOS judge and loved to teach.When he was unable to manage on his own, his children quickly disposed of most of the collection without contacting the Club. It was very sad. He died shortly after. I think of him often with many fond memories. Orchids Magazine did a interview with him with many pictures of his greenhouse.

He was quite a character and I just can't imagine he mislabeled the plant I had. Maybe I'm wrong and it did have some yellow on the throat.

Anyway, I would appreciate any info you might hear.

Jane

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

Just remembered that the guy will be out of town this coming weekend so I gave him a call. Nothing comes to mind, all of the ones he has have some yellow in the throat. He has a greenhouse full of floof going back 30 years so I was hoping, no luck.

Sorry,

Nick

• catlover_gardener
    10 years ago

Orchidnick,
    I live in Miami, FL, I too am looking for a white. I had Hawaiian Wedding Song from a neighbor, divided and repotted it and it died.
    I am here abegging. Would you mind selling me a piece of the C. Margaret Hort? I will pay for plant plus shipping. No prob if you aren't able to. I live whites.

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

No problem, send me an email.

Nick

• Boby Huffard
    10 years ago

I'd give anything to see a picture of a Bebe White. I can't remember if it had any yellow. I just remember it was a majestic orchid.

• josegomez1080
    8 years ago

Please need help I am looking for a cattleya white with dark purple lip call lc.ecstacy orchidglade thanks

• arthurm2015
    8 years ago

You will be lucky to find Lc. Ecstacy 'Orchidglade' produced by Jones & Scully in the 1970's.

• yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
    8 years ago

Look online for cattleya carol ackerson i have hawaiian weeding song but have some yellow is not pure white

• blutayle
    8 years ago

Jane...check with Hausermann's up in Chicago...I have ordered with great success from them and I believe they may have a pure white....Best of luck...Joe

• blutayle
    8 years ago

I believe this is what you were looking for ....Joe

• yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Jane the Hawaiian wedding song 'Virgen' HCC/AOS they are e really nice i have this one and is and old clone and they are not making more. I know there are another one but the flower is smaller than the 'Virgen', it has a little bit of yellow. It bloom for me last year. This one has a big flowers.

yeni