Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neglected orchid going to bloom - i think?

Posted by nanzey z10/So.Cal. (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 27, 12 at 1:01

Hello,
For the first time ever I think an orchid is going to rebloom for me.
I received it as a housewarming present in October 2010 when it was in bloom (Phal).
I never cut the bloomstalk and it never died back until about 2 months ago and then only half. I am the great procrastinator.
Then a few weeks ago, what I thought was a root, pierced through one of the leaves.
I believe it is a bloom stalk?
As you can see, it is leaning towards the light.
I am totally thrilled that I finally live somewhere with the proper environment for orchids, but I'm thinking maybe I should stake it or something?
It doesn't feel very flexible so I'm not sure what to do.
And should I cut the old one off? half way or at the base?
Thanks in advance for your advice!

Nancey

From garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neglected orchid going to bloom - i think?

Yep, that appears to be a spike on the left.

If it were mine, I'd cut the old spike about 1/2" up form the bottom, move the stake to the left side and slowly (starting with the upper 1/3rd of the spike), slowly start bending the spike to an upwards position using twist ties or clips to hold it to the stake. I'd also consider leaning the stake initially and slowly moving it more upright as the spike can handle the bending. In my experience, you can get that spike to grow more upright like the old one, but you have to be very careful and do it in very small 'steps'.

BTW: At this point don't turn the plant or the blooms may get confused about which way to open. (It appears it hasn't been turned much lately anyhow).

Good growing and good luck,

Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here