Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whitecat8

20% off Andy's miniatures until 1/31/14

whitecat8
10 years ago

Turns out, they've got a boatload of miniatures, and you can sort for them on the home page.

From their email:

.... Take 20% off any (& all) miniature plants (6' or less) listed on our website by phone, email, or internet. Sale prices valid from now until January 31, 2014

NO MINIMUM PURCHASE REQUIRED

ADDITIONAL SHIPPING CHARGES MAY INCUR FOR LARGER PLANTS

*Offer not valid for show or walk-in purchases

*May not be combined with other specials

Redeemable at www.andysorchids.com, 888-514-2639, or info@andysorchids.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Andy's Orchids

Comments (6)

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Always a favorite:). Thanks for the heads up WC. They should also have mounted Epidendrum ilense available in a couple months.

This post was edited by terpguy on Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 23:18

• whitecat8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is the Epi ilense on your wish list? WC8

• terpguy
    10 years ago

It is, but not a mounted plant. It'd never survive. It has to be in a pot so I had to pass on this one. Which is a real shame because it's pretty hard to find this species now a days. The irony being it was more attainable back when it was endangered. Now that new populations have been found nobody carries this species anymore (pure coincidence I'm sure).

This post was edited by terpguy on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 11:34

• whitecat8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can you pot it? I've done that many times w/ Andy's plants and have even remounted a few because they looked better.

Also, I got a potted hybrid - Eplc. Haiku Twinkle 'Red Elf' (Lc. Trick or Treat x Epi. ilense) from EOoM in May, 2012, and it has practically taken over the place. Blooming every 6 months & 4 new growths the first year. It looks like the Epi. ilense but with a bit less fringe - boo.

EOoM doesn't seem to have it right now.

WC8

Here is a link that might be useful: Eplc. Haiku Twinkle 'Red Elf'

• terpguy
    10 years ago

I know in many cases you can. But I have the perception (based on small amount of experience but mostly reading others experiences) that they are already a touchy species indoors. Add serious root disruption and it's just not a risk I want to take.

They definitely can be grown in pots. It wasn't until Andy's mentioned they recently mounted some that I found out some do grow then mounted. They like it moist so you need a GH.

I've been thinking about look alikes. The one you showed is cute. Another similar one is Epi. Annalie Wans (ilense x stamfordianum).

• whitecat8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tip. Wish I'd seen the Epi. Annalie Wans first - more fringe is better. :) However, maybe a primary wouldn't do as well in the orchid room - RH in the 20% range in the winter, even with a humidifier.

Lois Duffin's site lists the Epi. Annalie Wans. I haven't run across this grower before, and they're not listed on the Orchid Mall site. They don't list prices and haven't updated the site since last January. Ambiguous.

Thanks, WC8

Here is a link that might be useful: Lois Duffin Orchids

This post was edited by whitecat8 on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 23:34