Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yenika_z10

V. Kriangkrai yellow

Hi these is the first V. Kriangkrai yellow i have. So im worry thay im doing something wrong to the plant. It lost two leave already they were all yellow and i see the they are more leaves getting yellow and black, the plant get lot of brigth light (sun) she is hanglind on the east of my porch.i am worry if iam burning the plant. Can anyone help me i dont want to loss her

Comments (18)

• arthurm
    9 years ago

The orchid is in distress and unless you give it better growing conditions it will die.
    Tell the readers here where you are in the USA so that you can obtain good advice. Note that there are Vandas with round (terete) leaves which are more sun tolerant than the strap leafed type like yours.
    Are you sure the plant tag says Kriangkrai yellow?

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

Probably too much sun, not enough water and too cold. If you water every day, keep the plant above 50 degrees (55 is better), it will take a half a day of sun. Depending on your weather zone.

• scorpio_bafh
    9 years ago

Hi Venika,
    I think the biggest problem of this vanda is it has no healty roots and the only way to save the plant is trying to get the roots growing again. There are a few tricks you can try
    Fill a bucket, container or even your badtub with water a big spoon of sugar a every 10 liter and soak the plant for a few hours in the solution, the leaves and roots should be submerged, rinse the plant off after that.
    After that you can try another trick and that is hang the plant upside down, leave it that way until it start to form new root points or a new leave when that last happen you must hang the plant normally again or else you will get a crooked plant.
    Mist the plant very regular depending on your climate, on warm windy days at least once day or when you have a pond or rainbarrel put it in there for a few minuts, don't forgetting to take it out leaving it in there for hours more will surely do no good.
    Greetings.

• yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, shavedmonkey....My zone is 10 i live in miami, probably is too much sun, and you are rigth where i put it the sun is too strong, my porch is facing east and south east. I removed it to another location and i will keep an eye on her. Will water the plant more frequently and see what happen. Will post picture in future :)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you scorpion, i already put my vanda in the solution and will do the rest you suggest me. My zone is 10 i live in miami so the temperature is not too hot now the high are 74 F but i was watering once a week and the plant was getting too much sun ... Which i already change her to a new spot. I will post new pictures in future

How many time you suggest me to do the treatment with the sugar bucket?

Thanks,
    ;)

• scorpio_bafh
    9 years ago

Hi Venika,
    The few times I had to use those tricks I did it only one time and when it didn't grow new roots in a month or so I think it is a lost case, but you can try it a second time after 4 or 6 weeks. Last year I have saved a few Vandas this way I bought those very cheap in a nursery (two for 5.- Euro worth a try so I took 4) but the roots where really in a bad shape, now two did make it growing fresh roottips. I waiting for spring and summer and hopeful some flowers.
    About bare rooted orchids, like your Vanda and those mounted on cork or slabs, they like when it is warm sunny weather a daily dip for maybe 5 to 10 minutes so the plant can really take up water.
    Greetings

• bob8_gw
    9 years ago

As others have said, not enough water. I grow in a greenhouse in New York and water mine every day and sometimes twice a day in the summer. There is almost no such thing as too much water for anything in the vanda group. Water and sun is all they need to reward you with beautiful flowers.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you scorpio_batfh and bob8

I think i burn the root from the fertilizer and not watering enought... Will increase it from now on and hopefully it will get better :)

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Yenika,
    The correct name is Vanda Kriengkrai 'Yellow'. Probably a large flat flowered type. Shading here is usually measured in shade-cloth ratiings. You want all day sun filtered by an appropriate level of shading ie here minimum of about 50% and perhaps 80% in summer.
    If you do not have enough orchids to justify erecting a simple shade house go for early morning sun and then shade.
    Doubt that you have root burn from fertilizer. More like too much potting material . You can grow them in a pot with sparse potting material.
    Its "winter" there so maybe it will grow new roots as spring comes on.

• saldut
    9 years ago

I have some Vandas and do not use any potting material, they just hang free, the roots hang down free, just like in the wild.... and I do mist daily and also soak them in the sink every few days, they are\ on a south-facing porch and get maybe 2-3 hours direct sun daily, and dappled shade the rest of the day... they seem to like it, I put orchid fert. in the mister, and they are putting out new roots.. I'm in Central Fla. w/high humidity so guess that helps....sally

• bob8_gw
    9 years ago

I hope no one misunderstood my post above. I like Sally are talking about vandas that are NOT in potting medium. I once tried a number of them in a potting mix and they looked great at first but in the end, they all failed. For me it's roots in the air with no mix and watering every day.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi all, i took a closer look to the root and the all look dry (dead) i brougth it from home depod and i noticed that the main root are broken when they bend the root to make it fix inside the basket. I water the plant now twice a day and i let it get some sun early in the morning then i change it to another spot in the porch

• jimbo0108
    9 years ago

The plant is healthy...vandas do enjoy a lot of sun but if introduced to strong light immediately after being in a low sun area it will shock it (sunburn) especially with Miami strength sunlight. It's hard for me to tell...is this potted in moss? or is that the roots bunched up in the picture. If they are bunched up I suggest pulling them through the bottom of the basket and letting them hang to get more air vandas are essentially an air plant that loves water....if it's surrounded in moss I suggest taking it out of the pot and hanging it in a basket with no media and misting 4-5 times a day until you begin to see new root growth...then ease off and 2x a day is sufficient...In the upcoming months in florida is especially dry so keep up on the watering and if you get a day of rain put it outside to enjoy the rain. By the summertime with the humidity in south florida the plant should be doing great.

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

We have had a few cold snaps this winter. Keep the vandas 50 degrees or higher. You may also have cold damage.

• scorpio_bafh
    9 years ago

Hi Venika,
    I forgot to mention that a plant with the roots in such bad shape cannot take up very much water with those roots, You have the spray/mist the leaves daily and maybe once a week or two weeks with a very diluted fertilizer(1/2 strength as suggested on the label of the orchid fertilizer, using normal plant fertilizer 1/4 or even weaker) that will give the plant a better chance to form new roots, And as said the left over healty roots need lots of air en light.
    It wll be a lot of work and I hope you will succeed and rewarded flowers as thank.
    Greetings

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi all ... And thank you for all your comment and suggestion. I posted a new picture so you can see how the roots are, they are wet at the moment of the picture thank you

Original Author
    9 years ago

I think a new root is coming out :) So happy!!!

Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

An update of the vanda that was in lot of stress ...she is very happy now