Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yenika_z10

Phal. Sogo Yudikian

Hi, i think my orchid is a Phal. Sogo Yudikian. it was a gift for someone and after a couple of month that i when to her house i found it in very bad condition so i took it and told her i will returned it to her ones it heal ... Lol... It she survive will be mine ... Another one in my collection ... So i remove the plant front the vase and i found all roots were rotten, i cut it and i remove the two old leave left and also removed all the moss they were very wet. I dessinfected the plant with soap and a little bit of clorox, then i repot it on a new medium for orchid the vase has lots of ventilation... Picture #4 in the back you can see a similar orchid that i got with this one, so this one should look like that one. What do you think? Will i be able to save her after all? Any other recommendation? ....thank you ;)

Comments (11)

• philpet
    9 years ago

Hi I think you did the best you can do, so let's keep fingers cross and hope it pulls through.my advice would be to keep it only moist not too wet, you could just mist the roots instead of fully watering to encourage new root growth.phals are really strong. I had a plant of this same one and it died, and I have been trying g to get back one but without any luck hope this one will pull through. Such big white flowers truly a beauty.ð velleta

• yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you philpet for you advise lets see what happen in the future. Do you think i can mist with fertilizer or just water?

• philpet
    9 years ago

Well you don't have a very big root system, and your plant will be adjusting to its new environment, I would not fertilize for now just plain water or you could try a bit of superthrive or another root growth stimulator. Getting more healthy roots is what is needed for your plant right now. I personally have used and is still using superthrive with very good results.as I said before not wet just moist. And make sure it get a bit of light not direct just bright shade and you should be fine.ðÂÂÂvelleta

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you philpet ðÂÂÂ

Original Author
    9 years ago

A follow up .....
    Here is the picture of the orchid .... i used growth stimulator in the root and i mist the root daily because it get dry quickly. I dont know if is good idea to used some moss to retain some moisture. Do you think the pot is too big?
    Can u recommend me another media?
    I am hoping i can save her âºï¸Â

• philpet
    9 years ago

The pot is fine, ok I don't really like messing with sick plants but I think you potted it wrong. The roots should be under the media.not on top. Remove the plant from the media mix a bit of moist spagnum with the bark, then repot the plant so the roots are covered. You could remove the long brown old spike or attach it with are piece of ribbon or something to are stake in the side of the pot to hold the plant firmly in place. Keep it moist but not wet and hopefully new roots will grow.Velleta

• philpet
    9 years ago

Here is four Keikies that lost their parent.i potted them as I explained above and now they are growing happy. I should also mention each only had one root when I potted them.now they have grow lots moreðÂÂÂ, you can see a few in the pic . Velleta

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Velleta fixing it now ðÂÂÂ

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Velleta and thank you for sharing some information with me ... Im new with orchids. I used to kill all of them but now im better... This orchid i remived from her last onwer since she almost kill it ... Hopefully she come back to life for me ... Lol...here us a new picture of what i did ...thank you again ...ðÂÂÂ

• philpet
    9 years ago

Good jobðÂÂÂ, now when you mist or water try not to get the crown or center wet ( between the two leaves) if it happens accidentally just use a piece of tissue to gently mop it up. Good luck ðÂÂÂ.Velleta

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok... Thank you so much velleta, will post new picture in futureðÂÂÂ

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner