Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ventless gas fireplace - effect on blooms?

Posted by watergal z6/7 Westminster, MD (sjohnson13@aol.com) on
Sat, Jan 19, 08 at 9:11

I know there is controversy about vented versus unvented gas heaters for orchids growing in greenhouses (I don't have a greenhouse, but I do fantasize).

My question is - how about ventless natural gas fireplaces? The best place to display my phals in bloom is in the same room with the fireplace.

What is everyone's opinion - will the fumes degrade the blooms? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ventless gas fireplace - effect on blooms?

I grew my orchids in the room next to an unvented gas fireplace for several years and never had any problems. I'd often put blooming ones on the mantle.

If your fireplace is functioning properly and burning completely, you shouldn't have a problem -- at least, that's my understanding. If it's putting off enough fumes to drastically affect your flowers, I would think that it could be causing problems for you, too.

You can always try it and see, call the manufacturer of your fireplace, or call a local store and see what they have to say about it. I'm definitely not an authority, but I never had any problems. :)

Stacy

o

Stacy, thanks. I just had the fireplace setup cleaned, and I have a carbon monoxide detector in the room showing zero all the time, so hopefully it's OK.

o

I agree with turkey. A big drawback to a fireplace is the huge amount of heated air that is vented, modern FPs have heat exchangers to capture that vent heat. If yours is newly cleaned and "draws" well as a good design would, I think you will have no problem with your orchids.

o

As long as there is complete combustion of the gases, there should be no problem. However, the air around the plant maybe rather dry. Might desiccate flowers prematurely.

o

My understanding is that one of the by-products of natural gas combustion is water, so a ventless gas fireplace actually makes the interior air *more* humid. If the fireplace is working properly there should not be any "fumes"--just H20 and CO2. I hope I'm right, as we're also considering one of these fireplaces.

o

Have a look at the following link.
http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/6847/gaschem.html

It explains natural gas chemestry pretty well. To sum it up though, you won't just be getting CO2 and H2O. You'll also be getting small amounts of carbon soot, carbon monoxide and nitrogen compounds. The more efficient your fireplace the less soot and carbon monoxide you'll get, but you won't escape the nitrogen compounds. They might not harm the orchids, but in high enough levels they aren't that good for you.

Tyler

o

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 5, 08 at 8:25

This is similar to one of the problems I deal with, growing indoors, as I do... our winter heating source is a wall-mounted propane unit. It dries the air terribly, but other than that, it doesn't seem to have an adverse affect on any plants. Two ceiling fans at either end of the one large room circulate the air very well. Compensating for the dry air, and the lower winter light, seem to be about the only things I can do to help.

I will be very glad to move into a home with normal heating and cooling systems, which should happen in about a year!

o

For 8 years I have had a small ventless gas heater in my orchid room...never lost a bloom or got a headache from any fumes.

Danny

o

I have a natural gas unvented heater in my growing room & have no problems with my orchids.

o

Thanks everyone! Fireplace season is almost upon us again. However, I've decided to display the blooming orchids in the dining room instead, mainly because there is really good indirect light there. I experimented with putting some blooming phals in dark rooms last winter. I left them there too long even though I didn't overwater, and it's been a long process getting them healthy again.

o

I'm pretty sure that ventless fireplaces have hazards especially in producing harmful gas by-products like carbon monoxide. If this kind of gas does harm to humans, it should affect blooms as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ventless Fireplace Hazards

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here