Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philpet

Is this a new spike on my Psychopsis orchid?

philpet
9 years ago

Hi everyone I have had this psychopsis orchid for over a year now, at one point I thought I lost it but it's now healthy with lots of new roots also it has grown three new psudobulbs. I accidently broke the top from the spike I got it with and now it's growing a new bud from a node plus another growth I am not sure what it is. Now I have watch the three new psudobulbs grow and none of them were as thick or looks anything like the new growth so I am wondering if it's a spike? I would be so happy. It was growing in a north western exposure and it just sat their so I moved it to a southwestern exposure and it just took off. I will post a few more pics so everyone can see what the plants now look like, sorry I tried to post more than one at a time but I am using my phone and it will only post one at a time.Velleta.

Comments (20)

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Two new growths on old spike.top one new bud, bottom ??

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

New rootsðÂÂÂ

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Top view of entire plant, the psudobulbs are plump and roundâº.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Looks awfully nice Veletta. I have two new dendrobiums arriving today (later) to join my streps on the bathroom windowsill. I hope after a year they look as nice as yours do (bad orchid daddy here...in the past).
    I think I have chosen wisely for my conditions..so we can hope.

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Other side of pot with new roots branching off the older ones.

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Dbarron, congratulations on rejoining us orchid addicts hereðÂÂÂ. I am sure you have learnt how to be a better orchid parent from your previous trial. ( if it makes you feel any better ) no matter how long or how short you grow orchids theirs always success and failersðÂÂÂ, the point is to always keep trying and one day you will look back and say "what took me so long". Don't worry you will get the hang of it and you have a lot of really good parents here to ask adviceðÂÂÂvelleta.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Looks like a new bulb to me. That's a good thing as the new growths will throw spikes. Good growing!

Jane

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jane, I tried searching the net to see if I could find a pic that showed what a new spike would look like but all the pics I saw were of spikes that are already in bud, none of a new spike.well I would have loved a spike but a bulb is also good it means my little chid is happy and healthy which is very good news, thanks againðÂÂÂ.Velleta

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Yes, happy and growing! It will probably make a spike in the fall.

Jane

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Jane and Dbarron ðÂÂÂðÂÂÂðÂÂÂðÂÂÂ, so I am all smiles today, I guess I was looking at the wrong place for the spike I looked this morning and this is what I saw peeking out from between the bulb and sheath of a new psudobulbs. This has to be a spike because of its location, any openion? .Velleta

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Agree...that should be a spike (based on my knowledge of phalaenopsis, and this appears generally similar).

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks DbarronðÂÂÂ, but a psychopsis would actually fall under the Oncidium alliance, which produce sheaths, a phalaenopsis does not have psudobulbs so it don't produce a sheath. But a phal spike would normally come below the third leaf from the top an in the leaf axil. I actually have 32 of them âº, they are my favourite variety. If you don't have any as yet I would suggest you try one, they are easy and the blooms last very long. Thanks again Velleta

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Oh, I've done phals for years...haven't had one in ten years or so. I find the plants (generally) too big and ugly. One thing I have learned, the botanical nomenclature doesn't mean a thing...next week, it'll be different :)

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Jane and Dbarron ðÂÂÂðÂÂÂðÂÂÂðÂÂÂ, so I am all smiles today, I guess I was looking at the wrong place for the spike I looked this morning and this is what I saw peeking out from between the bulb and sheath of a new psudobulbs. This has to be a spike because of its location, any openion? .Velleta

{{gwi:2118538}}

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

It could be a spike. I can't really tell from the picture. Wait a few weeks and photograph it again. The spikes do not come in sheaths. They appear similar to Phals.

Here's a shot of one of mine. Not a good photo but gives you an idea.

Jane

• Sandi Sinclair
    2 years ago

• Sandi Sinclair
    2 years ago

Hoping this is a spike the other one died?

I have new leaves and hopefully a new spike?

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    2 years ago

Sorry, looks like a root me,

• Sandi Sinclair
    2 years ago

Hopefully a spike will appear?

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    2 years ago

Depend on the health of the plant, if it got enough day/night temperature difference etc. Is it a phalenopsis or a psychopsis? why post in such an old thread? Start anew, post some pictures that show the entire plant and it's roots.