Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground orchids

Posted by nilia17 z10FL (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 31, 09 at 11:09

I am having problems with my ground orchids. They are growing well, but many of the leaves are beginning to brown on the tips progressively yellowing and finally dying. I don't know what to do to get a handle on the problem. At first I thought they might have some pest so I have tried to spray with Insectecidal Soap with no improvement. A gardener friend told me that here in South Florida it is normal for them to do that especially during the winter if the temperatures decrease. Does anyone have any suggestions or know what causes this problem?

Nilia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground orchids

Hello - if 'ground orchids' are Bletilla striata, they generally act like typical bulbous plants - growth and flowering, followed by dormancy. They are planted in the ground, correct? Sounds like they are doing what they should be doing in their season.
Cheers - Nancy

o

I agree with Nancy. Every season my Bletilla leaves die back and then in the early spring come back even better and more of them.

o

Ground orchids in this instance might be Spathoglottis but they could also be Phaius.

o

Here in Florida, Spathoglottis are often referred to as swamp or ground orchids. They require copious amounts of water. Mine actually sit in water as they're in pots. Since I'm further north than you, and mine are fine, I would question if cold weather is the problem. It's been into the upper 30s several nights this winter. That said, I have "killed" mine only to find they've come back to life in the compost pile, months later.

It could also well be a Phaius or even warmth tolerant Cymbidium, which will lose a lot of leaves, while it's growing new leaves. Phaius also needs lots and lots of water. It's easy to forget central and southern Florida are more like a desert in winter, not the tropics, and we really need to water daily.

Since you are in Florida, your plant could be a whole lot of things, since we can grow lots and lots of orchids in the ground. But based on your terminology, I'm guessing it's a Spathoglottis.

o

Can we get some pics?
Do you know what kind of orchid??
Hate "common names" like "ground orchid", thers tens of thousands of different species that it could be and all are grown differently....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here