Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

I got a few orchids within the months from places like trader joes and the farmers market. Of course almost all of these come without a tag. I know these are probably some hybrids but I would be more than happy to get a few suggestion from you guys! Thanks and here we go...

Comments (22)

• fuzzballiscute (SF Bay Area, Ca. Us)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

1.) This is a paph I got from trader joes. I was so surprised to see something like this at a grocery store! (Then again, tj's has come through many times before) I have seen paphs that looks just like this but they always have different names

Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a phal I got from a farmers market stand (brook side orchids) I just love the light yellow then white then raspberry middle. (Reminds me of a cheesecake) ;) I asked the guy at the stand and he just said it was a moth orchid and he didn't have any more info

Original Author
    9 years ago

This triccolor phal I got from trader joes.

Original Author
    9 years ago

This is from tj too. I believe it is an oncidium

Original Author
    9 years ago

From tj, miltonia?

Original Author
    9 years ago

This orchid is from tj's. I believe it is an oncidium. There were two other one like this next to it but both didn't have the stripe on the lip

Original Author
    9 years ago

This cymbidium was given to me from a relative. Quite fragrant of a perfumey? scent. Flowers drop

Original Author
    9 years ago

This cymbidium is from trader joes. It has big soft pink flowers that remind me of one of my hens. ;)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Now time for some mini phals. These are all from tj's.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Purple with some freckles

Original Author
    9 years ago

Spots

• dm_kelly
    9 years ago

I don't know the names but those are beautiful and so healthy looking! It looks like a few of them are growing in plain clay pots. Is that what I'm seeing?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Last one for now

• arthurm
    9 years ago

I've asked this question before....how do you stop pics from being presented sideways?
    As for the multitude of posts....when I want to post more than one photo, I prepare the post on word and copy the finished product.
    Now for the numbers. There are about 100,000 registered hybrids recorded on the register at Kew and to make matters worse there is the variation between plants grown from the same seed pod.
    For example, a friend made a crossing and we registered the name and we have over 100 plants of the cross and the flowers from each plant will be different.

• Sheila
    9 years ago

Beautiful healthy plants and lovely blooms. I'd buy that Paph in a heartbeat even without a proper ID. I have a seedling Paph Venustum blooming right now, keep going back into my kitchen to admire it!!! I'm fascinated with the slipper orchids.

fuzzballiscute (SF Bay Area, Ca. Us) thanked Sheila
  • Grandy4
    9 years ago

It is had to see the plants sideways and I get a strain in my neck turning my head sideways sooooo---

Arthur---before posting a flower that is sideways right click on it and have it rotate either clockwise or counter clockwise, if you have windows media player you can do it in it. And thanks for the info on posting more than one at a time, I was wondering how to do that. I will give it a try.

• bouldergrower
    9 years ago

For the first possible ID look at:
    http://www.paccentraljc.org/POE2012/paphsmooth.html

fuzzballiscute (SF Bay Area, Ca. Us) thanked bouldergrower
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dm_kelly, they are actually in a plastic pot in a clay pot. These brand new clay pots are like sponges and I'm kind of afraid that if I were to pot it directly, the pot would take the plant's water! But, I do have some overgrown masdevallias and a pleurothallis I got in a old mossy clay pots which weren't so absorbent, they are doing very well!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Sheila-

Thanks! Paphs have such a unique look to them, and like many of my orchids I could stare at them. I totally get the I admiring! I could stare at them for a long time, and still be entertained (and probably look very weird to others). They remind me of people faces somehow...

• greendale63
    9 years ago

curious to know which TJ's ... they are all beautiful!

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

It'd be hard to resist these at a TJoes. Nice collection.

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus