Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Phal in distress (mold)

Posted by davis.mbd 8B (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 12:17

I have had this Phal for about a year and a half. I bought it in bloom, the last flower fell off about four months later, and I cut down the spikes. Ever since then I've been keeping it in a south-facing window and watering about once a week.

The newest two leaves look good - shiny and yellow-green. The bottom three are duller and matte. Yesterday I cut off a fourth bottom leaf that had turned completely yellow (you can see the base of this leaf around the pic with the new spike (?) growth), and noticed that there was a collection of mold at the base.

Is mold a death-knell? This plant has been looking pretty lackluster for a while, and the yellow leaf concerned me too. Any thoughts on next steps?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Phal in distress (mold)

Here is a pic of the mold at the bottom.

o

Doesn't look like mold to me although your potting media looks worn out and wet. Have you repotted the plant since you bought it? Sort of looks like eggs of some bug - ants?

Appears you have a spike, but I would get that plant out of that pot into some fresh media quickly.

Too wet.

Jane

o

Ug I hope it's not bug eggs! I will definitely repot ASAP, thank you.

o

You know, it could be something other than insect eggs, including mold. I just repotted this orchid that is growing inside where no insects that I can see are present, and it had something very similar next to the drain hole where both moisture and air where present. I put cinnamon on the roots when repotting just in case.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here