Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richardol

Pleurothallis palliolata

richardol
16 years ago

{{gwi:140435}}I got a Pleurothallis palliolata at the member sale table at the San Francisco Orchid Society last July. It looked reasonably healthy with the exception of a couple of sunburned leaves. The price was $12 and I had a couple of Pleuros which had done pretty well so I got it.

I looked up the plant in OrchidSpecies.com, my favorite species site. I found out that it grows in Costa Rica and Panama, that it is cool to warm growing and needs low light.

I am not a person who believes that the top of the plant tells the whole story, so the next day I repotted it.

As I cleaned it up I found quite a good root system. In addition, it broke up quite easily into 3 parts. I potted each of them up in pea gravel. I use pea gravel for plants with fine roots. It drains pretty well but actually holds quite a bit of water.

Where to put them in the greenhouse was the biggest challenge. I have quite a bright greenhouse and lower light space is limited. I ended up placing it in an area that is not as bright, but is definitely more that low light.

Once again I found that the plant had failed to read the literature. All three pieces took off with new growth and keikis. There was some pigment on the leaves but no burning. I had figured that the keikis were from being over lit and stressed but I didn't move them because I didn't have a plant I wanted to trade places with.

Then a month ago I saw the first tiny bud. Through the month of December more and more buds appeared. Even a couple of the keikis had buds. Even more exciting is that it appears the one of the plants will have three flowers open at the same time. OrchidSpecies.com says that the plant opens one, sometimes two flowers at a time.

On New Years day I took the picture of the open flower in the upper left corner. The orchid year is starting off well!

Comments (12)

• me_171
    16 years ago

After seeing your pictures I am sure I want one now. I came across this plant on Andy's orchids but couldn't find a picture that really showed off the plant.

If you have a bunch of keikis you don't know what to do with I would love to work something out with you.

Great growing I to usually try to give everything more light than they say always seems to be the right answer.

• pcan-z9
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for the added info and pictures Richard!! After the picture you put up last night, I went to Andy's WS and he had both mounted and potted. I'm not to sure if they will ship now, but I will order one of these guys soon. Another thing I love about this guy is the plant itself is interesting and pretty - but that little bloom? This went straight to the very top of my want list!! Thanks again Richard!!
    Pat..............

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

Richard - That's awesome. Congrats! It's interesting that you posted this now. I just got a small keiki of this one this past fall and have been wondering what it wants. My main concern was the reddish pigment developing on some of the leaves. I was wondering if I need to back off of the light or not?

I know some people have trouble blooming this one, so congrats again.

Kevin

• highjack
    16 years ago

Impressive growing Richard - congratulations on the three blooms abloomin'.

Brooke (muttering to 'self, no no no do not add to list)

• richardol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We'll see if three actually are open at the same time, it depends on how long the earlier ones stay open. I am reserving my opinion about how well it is growing until I see the next bloom. If the next one is a good or better that this one, then I will know the plant is happy.

If you want to talk to me about plants, use my first name and add it to the site below, where I get my mail. Put "orchids" somewhere in the subject so it will end up where I will see it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Me

• sweetcicely
    16 years ago

Thank you, Richard, for all the detail. Such a fascinating flower and plant(s)!
    I've never seen anything like it--I'm repeating myself, still marveling at the look of that precious little thing.

As p-can's husband implied (seeing your stunning picture on the "Happy new year to all!!!" thread) it looks like an exotic little frog, beautifully jewelled.

Can you give an idea of scale? What are the sizes of the flower and the round pot? And what kind of humidity did it require in Your care? You wrote, "Once again I found that the plant had failed to read the literature." Maybe you could write a treatise... Regardless, I'm saving your post.

Thank you so much for the story and detail. $12 ~ What a deal! Please do post pictures, when more of those many buds bloom.

Sweetcicely

• mehitabel
    16 years ago

Richard, I second all of the above. The plant is enchanting. Looks like it belongs in a fairy tale. Really magical looking. Especially the way it vines around, and those three fat little purple buds in the lower left dangling out of the heart-shaped leaf.

A pure fantasy. Your picture shows all of it's special features, too. Deserves to be the fronticepiece of a book.

Like everyone else, I also benefitted from your story of ferreting out ways to give it the care it needed, and how it grew in your care.

Thanks for taking the time to detail this for us. A marvelous tale and picture for a cold winter's night. :)

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

Richard, Thanks for the info. Because my one and only Masde is blooming, I'm looking around for other warmth-tolerant Masdes or relatives to try. The Masde hybrid has been in as much light as I can give it - E/SE light through the sliding glass doors, plus 26W CFLs as close as possible.

Andy's, here I come.

Please keep us posted on the palliolata's progress and what you learn.

Whitecat8

• richardol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

{{gwi:140436}}Here is a picture of the three open flowers, each exactly 1/2 inch across. It is on its way to "show and tell" in Santa Rosa.

I am pleased at how the plants are doing and especially at having three flowers open, since the book says that they usually have one open, sometimes two.

• sweetcicely
    16 years ago

So pretty! How nice of your Pleuro-pal to rise to the occasion of your Show and Tell! Thank you for the picture, Richard.

Sweetcicely

• sweetcicely
    16 years ago

Richard,
    This is no time for modesty. Please report on how your amazing trio was/were received in Santa Rosa.

While waiting, I looked at almost every Pleuro. picture on Jay Pfahl's site. My eyes saw nothing to rival your beauties.

Sweetcicely

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

wow, what an unusual plant