Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nick_robinson7916287

Rescue orchid: a few newbie questions.

Nick Robinson
9 years ago

I got this orchid from my roommate's friend who knows that I love plants. I dont know how long she has had it or what type it is. I want to bring it back to its full glory but I have some noob questions first. This is my second orchid. My first was a year or two back. It "died" after a few weeks so I tossed it like an idiot. It was a dancing lady, SO gorgeous. I wish I would have kept and researched it a little more.

1. can you identify the genus by the leaves so I can read about proper care? The sticker just says Mini Orchid #2

2. The roots look nice and healthy but the terra cotta pot it came in has no holes. Would it be a good idea to drill one or two bottom holes and a few on the side near the bottom as well? It seems to be in sphagnum moss, should I get a different growing medium? I know sphag holds a lot of water

3. I have 2 potential spots for it, my bedroom which has north facing windows and gets pretty good daytime light, or in my living room window which is south facing, and gets lots of bright light all day with 3-4 hours of direct sun in mid afternoon.

4. the one stalk on it is very woody, It was obviously cut some time ago... should I cut it down all the way to the base, or leave it as is?

I will attach some pictures in the next few posts

This post was edited by AnIsleAteHer on Sat, Jan 24, 15 at 14:13

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting