Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sticky Laelia anceps flowers

Posted by wuness z5 IL (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 14:32

I have two L. anceps plants that have a chronic problem. They produce numerous flower buds but the flower sheaths are typically enveloped in a sticky substance that prevents the flowers from breaking completely out of the flower sheath, or prevent the sepals and petals from expanding normally. Several of the parts are usually malformed so that only 75% (at best) of the open flower looks normal. Has anybody else experienced this? I have tried spraying the flower buds with a soap solution but haven't been persistent enough to notice any difference. Would more humidity help? It is close to an outside corner of my greenhouse where it might be somewhat drier. wuness

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sticky Laelia anceps flowers

Hi,

I noticed this too, with L. anceps. I would spray the buds daily with pure water, and this helped to prevent any malformed buds. This is just the nature of the beast. Persistence pays when you see those beautiful blooms!

It was on the dry side in the growing room (basement, under lights). I also had to make sure the buds didn't get too close to the lights, to prevent baking the buds.

Carol

o

Since I water mine once a day because they are bare-root I don't have that problem however members in my Orchid Society have had the same problem with similar solution.

Nick

o

When I grew anceps, I had the same problem with the sticky stuff. I misted the buds everyday until water dripped from them. They always opened normally.

Kevin

o

Thanks for your replies. That's any easy enough fix.

wuness

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here