Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dropping buds

Posted by Savage82 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 3, 12 at 14:35

I have a phalaenopsis and recently had it lose 2 of it's buds. I am new to orchids and am not sure what the problem could be. There were 4 buds, but 2 looked as if they were close to opening (you could see the purplish color through the bud) then they turned yellow and fell off.
My thoughts are maybe it is too cold? The house is kept at about 65 degrees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dropping buds

How long have you had the phal? One reason for bud blast is the change in atmosphere the plant endures when brought from one location to a new one. Another is dryness, yet another something in the atmosphere. There could be a number of reasons that would cause the buds to blast. The hurtful part is that the buds blast just on the verge of opening, which fools you into thinking that the next morning you will see the start of a bloom.

o

I don't think the 65 degrees is the cause. However, do you have it located by a window and maybe it is getting colder than you think?

o

65 is not too cold, in fact to get your phal to rebloom it should experience night time lows around 60 degrees (in the appropriate fall and winter season). Phal's are one of the best to not experience bud blast when moving from one environment (store) to another (home). However, that does not mean it will not happen.

You did not say what your orchid was potted in (medium and pot style) nor how the roots are doing. The roots are critical to success of orchid growing - whenever you have a problem you should always check the roots as they tend to tell you if there is a problem way before you see it in the flowers and leaves.

o

I agree with Paul_Mc, I think the temp is fine. Check the roots. How much water are you giving it? How much light does it receive?

Sarah

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here