Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orchid stem (spike)

Posted by TheresaWA none (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 3, 12 at 14:38

I was given an orchid 2 years ago, it bloomed and then as time went by it started to die. I followed the instructions on the tag but nothing seem to help until I received another one last year. I happened to go to Lowe's around the same time and they had bags of fertilizer and planting mix for orchids. I of course bought some and it helped the one that was dying, but the stem (spike) by this point had totally died and was removed from the plant.

My question is this.. how long before a new stem (spike) will grow back or will it ever grow back?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orchid stem (spike)

In good growing conditions a Phalaenopsis should make a new spike every year. Most will initiate a new spike in late Autumn/ Early winter when the plants get a slight cooling down. Some have a different flowering pattern and initiate spikes at other times in the year. It depends on the ancestors.

There are a couple of threads down the page a bit where culture is discussed in Canada and the PNW. The info. there may help.

o
RE: Orchid stem (spike)

Right now the plant is in my kitchen window and gets morning sun. It has gotten new leaves just not a new stem. I even has new root growth. It's been a year since I re-potted it and I should probably do it again. I was just surprised that there isn't a new stem growing and just didn't know if one would ever grow. My other orchid is doing really good and already has a start of a flower growing from the stem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here