Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Divide Cattleyas or Grow to Specimien Size?

Posted by shirley-z-8-tx (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 8, 12 at 14:43

Some of my Cattleya orchids are getting large. Do you divide yours or grow to a specimen size?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Divide Cattleyas or Grow to Specimien Size?

Definitely specimen size. Some put on awesome displays covering themselves with flowers. If you want divisions that's also the way to go. If you have a plant with 50 PBs, you can take a division of it anytime and the plant looks the same. I have a L superbiens that is big enough to be awkward. The last 2 years I have taken off the leads after bloom and either sold or traded them. The plant promptly grows a new lead in the same place.

Nick

o
RE: Divide Cattleyas or Grow to Specimien Size?

I do not think the answer to this question is YES/No. Depends on the Cattleya and whether or not you are interested in growing "specimen plants". Also, is your particular Cattleya a suitable candidate.

For example, at the last society meeting one grower exhibited a plant of Epicat. Burdekin Honey that was covered in a mass of flowers. This is an orchid that readily makes multiple leads and there is a very short stem between each smallish pseudobulb. Not a huge plant.

Some Cattleyas will tend to grow in a straight line and if you want to make a specimen plant you have to do a lot of cutting of the Rhizome, not in the spirit of the things.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here