Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenclaws

Paph flower structure queery

Hello, I'm pleased to report the 'paph' I wrote about this time last year is in bud again, this time with 2 spikes. It's looking very healthy and the waxy flower is larger than last years solitary one and to my eyes, beautiful. I've only just realised I never did post a pic of the opened flower, so I will do so tomorrow, in the daylight.

However, before I do that, I have a question if I may....only being vaguely familiar with paphs in as much as I 'thought' I could recognise one as I assumed they all had a pouched arrangement at the front, on closer inspection this flower puzzles me somewhat. Do the pouches/slippers always open towards the front....mine appears to have the opening at the back?? This really seems a silly question, but as I don't know the answer and images all appear to show them at the front, I'm asking here. The label even shows it at the front, but only says Paphoipedilum and care info, no other name etc.

Here's the link to my previous post with the plant in bud last year.

Thanks for looking, Gill from the UK.

Here is a link that might be useful: my old post

Comments (12)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, I can see what I'm doing now in the light of day so here's the pics, hope these explains more clearly what I'm asking? The flower is 10cms at it's widest point, but oh my, in the pic the leaves look terribly dusty...they're not, honest!! lol!!
    Thanks for looking,
    Gill from the UK.

{{gwi:140841}}

{{gwi:140842}}

• westoh Z6
    12 years ago

Not normal at all, it's like it grew the pouch the wrong side out???

I'd wait for next bloom and see. Some people like the wierd ones, so it may not be a lost cause if it always blooms this way.

Looks like it may have some Winston Churchill influence.

Bob

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi there Bob, thanks for your time in replying. So what you're telling me is this rescued plant is worth millions of ãã's then?! However, I think I already have the answer to that one, it's more likely to be a worthless reject knowing my luck! I'll await the opening of the second flower and see what that looks like before I book our luxury round the world trip on the strength of it. (makes mental note to call at travel agents tomorrow....just in case).
    I'm certain I don't have any pics at all of last years open flower, but I'll go on the main PC and have another search just in case. Thanks again.
    Gill from the UK.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK guys, I've just been and looked in the proper place and yes, I have several shots of last years flower in a sub-folder and they all clearly show a proper front opening slipper. Seems like this particular 'tuft of leaves' has decided grow a mutant flower, so it will be interesting to see what the other one does.
    Regards, Gill from the UK.

last years 'proper' flower
    {{gwi:140843}}

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Gill

I can't even believe that you did such a great job with that orchid, let alone have one worth millions at this point...

I think it's beautiful even though deformed at this point. That is weird. Has it been exposed to radiation?lol

Good to you :-)

Mike

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Mike, seems like we keep following each other around...plumies, c&s and now orchids!! Yes this orchid has grown a great deal since I've had it and it looks very healthy apart from this particular flower. Wonder if any more will do this? Have read that each tuft of leaves should only flower once so that said, hopefully there will be no more Frankenstein flowers!

O.T. I know but why do my monetary 'pound' signs come up as random letters etc, came up as squares in the preview first time?
    Thanks, Gill from the UK.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Hello, Gill, that's a beauty! ;-)

As for the missing 'pound' sign...GardenWeb doesn't support special characters anymore.
    Went into effect several 'upgrades' ago.

Josh

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well if it isn't Mr.Greenman from c&s now....Hi Josh!
    Mmmmmh, it's an even nicer bloom when the 'right way round' so let's hope it gets it act together and this is just a one off Frankenstein flower.
    Thanks for the explanation re my 'pound' sign going AWOL!
    Cheers, Gill from the UK.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Party!!! Lol

Gill, I had to come back and take a second look! I actually had to show my sick Aunt. She thinks its beautiful and so unique!

Yes, we seems that we have a lot of the same plant interest.
    Citrus being # 1 and possibly Orchids tied with Crussella if I can keep some of my favorite species, 'Orchids' alive and healthy. I am hoping to master this with teh great support of so many wonderful people here:-)

Hey Josh!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Hello, Gill and Mike! ;-)

Now that I have an Orchid in my collection, I've started visiting different Forum areas.
    I use the same mix for succulents, citrus, maples, conifers, hoyas, and orchids.

Josh

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Since my plumerias all died my current addictions are adeniums, crasssulas, orchid, and palms...plus of course anything else that sprouts leaves an roots, much to my husbands amusement. The more exotic the more attraction it holds for me, trouble is no-one round here grows anything like this as we are in the sticks in a tiny rural village, so no orchid/c&s clubs etc.
    Thank heavens for folks like yourselves here on Gweb, what would I do without you all?
    Gill, from the UK.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Gill, probably be one very lonely person!

Yes, anyone that knows me gets very amused with the fact that I can take care of so many plants without ever skipping a beat.

They get a kick out of watching me do the balancing act every early am. all summer, and every weekend. But, boy, since they all want to sit in my greenhouse or in a plant room for a few hours, I should start charging them. Why let them be have amusement for free?

Have you ever walked through one of the parks at Disney World at night with all them lights and beautiful exotic plants in amoung them, that's my house. My yard and house transports you into a tropical paradise or close to it.

Now, to live a small tiny town and not be able to share that with anyone:-(.
    Here, the city folk would book a reservation with me to spend time at my house, especially summer at night.
    Wait until the orchids are hanging from the trees this summer too.

I am glad we have each other here also and I am glad we have you!

Mike