Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keiki - What does one look like?

Posted by bobanda 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 22, 10 at 16:22

I am wondering what a very baby keiki looks like when it starts on a phal. spike. I have a spike in bloom but at one of its nodes, where usually the node stays flat, the node sheath has come out and plumped up like a tiny little leaf. Normal or keiki?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keiki - What does one look like?

I don't know if it's normal but it could be either. If it is a keiki eventually it will grow roots and more leaves. If it is just a leaf roots never form and no additional leaves appear, it will die when the spike dies.

Brooke

o

Do I cut the spike under water while there are still blooms on the spike? Any help would be appreciated?

o

It would help if you show a picture of what your seeing.

o

Since the protrusion is on a blooming spike, very likely it is a new bloom spike branching from the original.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here