Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowers drooping but not falling off...

Posted by bobanda 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 22, 10 at 16:28

I have a phal which has bloomed well in the past and now has 6 blooms on it. After each bloom is open for a day or two, it starts to get droopy. Even the first blooms, which have been droopy for weeks, have not dried up nor fallen off. Please confirm my suspicions that they have just gotten too cold in my window (we had a week of <10 degree temps here)and not a more serious problem like root rot and not enough moisture. The leaves seem healthy as ever.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowers drooping but not falling off...

I posted an answer once but it disappeared into lala land.

It sounds like your blooms have been pollinated. If a bloom is damaged for whatever reason, they fall off.

Brooke

o

Pollinated? Really? This sounds exciting - but how? They are inside and I hope we don't have bugs crawling around! How can I tell for sure?

o

I am curious to hear the reply as I also have two Phals that did this to me. The one had a full inflorescence of 4 flowers fully opened and then one shriveled but did not fall, it didn't even lose it's color. It just hung there like it was under watered, but the other three were fine.

I cut it off as I was displeased with how it looked, but then my other Phal did the same thing. All 6 flowers open on the inflorescence, then one goes saggy.

My suspicions were some sort of trauma to the individual flower, but I too have mine on a windowsill and it has been awfully cold up here in PA these last two months. So cold damage seems completely logical.

Curiosity peeked. Thanks in advance !

o

My initial reaction is the same as Brooke, but I have a nagging doubt. When polinated the flowers will droop within a couple of days, stay on the plant and gradually dry off and go crispy.

The doubt is how so many of your flowers are being polinated so quickly, this does not usually happen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here