Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yenika_z10

Need help with the orchid

I have this orchid for 3 years now. So, i am worry about all roots outside the vase. It has a new spike ready with flowers and a new spike attach from an old one. Also main stem too long, and some leaves has a red color, thats new. Any suggestion what to i post severals pictures so you can see it.
Thank you in advance ;)

Comments (8)

• Onesime (centre QC)
    9 years ago

Hi I would not do major repoting before bloom. Its too close from bloom but alter. I would repot. To help it to stand up by itself. I am sure it was already an alternative.
    I have a problem similar to yours whit a too long flower spike whitout flowerbuds (?) My Phal has 2 spikes, the longest is about 6 feet long. If someone knows what it can be, pls let me know.
    About your leaves changing to redish color, I think the old leaves are preparing to fall, slowly..
    This is my opinion, only.
    I am new in this forum.
    good luck for others comments !

Onesime

• jbraun_gw
    9 years ago

It looks as if you have never repotted this plant, right? Tons of roots outside of the pot indicates that the potting medium has broken down and become acidic killing all of the roots in the pot. I usually repot Phals every other year.

The plant has obviously adjusted to it's situation because it looks health and is ready to bloom. The red tinge is like a sun tan on us. You may want to give it a little less light. The leaf that's reddish is pretty low and there are plenty of healthy new leaves above it. It may be getting ready to fall or it may be that it was in to high of light previously but not enough to scorch it.

I would let it go through it's bloom cycle and then repot it in May or June. Clay pots are difficult to remove the roots from which is why lots of growers use plastic pots. Just let it soak for an hour or so before you unpot and that will help. Just be prepared to lose some roots.

When you repot,set the stem deeper so you don't see as much of the stem above the new potting medium. I usually don't go bigger than a 5" pot for my Phals. You just kind of twirl the roots into the pot before you add your medium.

Good luck and remember orchids are pretty tough plants.

• yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Onesime and Jbraun. Yes, i had never repotted the plant. I am new with orchids and i know they are tough plant it took me years to learn how to take care this beautiful plants. I will repot it after finish flowering. Any especific mixture to add inside the new pot when i reppot it?

Thank you

• jimbo0108
    9 years ago

My opinion on the potting media is use what is being used now. You are used to it and know the watering habits needed and it's doing well. Changing things up could be difficult to get used to.

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

Overall it looks quite healthy but I agree- those roots are out of control! I'd put the pot and roots on something organic like a piece of wood. I think in nature they'd be on a tree with that type of orchid.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

You live in zone10? Does this plant live outside? Could you explain how you are growing it?

Repot the plant in spring when it has finished blooming. Use an orchid mix which you can find in any big-box store (Home Depot, Lowes). Do not keep it in the same mix as the mix has broken down and the roots inside the pot are probably dying. The plant needs fresh mix.

Jane

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you jimbo 0108,
    I have this orchid for 3 years and the media is the same is composed from bark dont know exactly what else because it came with that one.

Thank you cooper DR,
    Yes, i agree those roots are out of control when finish blomming will at some pieces of wood.

Thank you jane_ny,
    I live in a zone 10, miami... The orchid is outside in my porch, i add water to the roots every week with a mix of water and fertilizer, i will repot it after finish blooming with new orchid mix. I only bring the orchid inside the house when they are blooming to enjoy their beauty, onces they finish blooming they go out the porch ;)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all... After blooming ...now is time to repot and i am glad i found this forum you guys are the best ....

I did repot it and i was surprise that the roots were in so good shade

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting