Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nico45ser

Osmunda & Tree Fern ?

allymarie
10 years ago

Hello, Happy New Year!

I would like to know if osmunda and tree fern are the same?

Thanks,
Allymarie

Comments (10)

• tolumniamatt
    10 years ago

Yes they basically are.

From Wikipedia - One of the species, the cinnamon fern (Osmundastrum cinnamomeum) forms huge clonal colonies in swamp areas. These ferns form massive rootstocks with densely-matted, wiry roots. This root mass is an excellent substrate for many epiphytal plants. They are often harvested as osmundine and used horticulturally, especially in propagating and growing orchids.

• terpguy
    10 years ago

It's sort of considered old world potting medium. You won't find people growing in straight osmunda. doesn't mean they don't but I've never known anyone to. I did once and found it rather frustrating to work with and it tends to hold a lot if water. Some nurseries will use it as a part of their potting mix, but bark and sphagnum moss are far more common.

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

I use it mixed with sphag. Helps keep it from packing and lasts a long time. Its excellent for drainage.

Jane

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Jane I'm curious, what percent?

• arthurm
    10 years ago

Might be the same North of the equator, not so here and in NZ where the cut up trunks of tree fern makes a good mount.

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    10 years ago

I use it along with sphagnum for mounting on cork or other mounts. I firmly place it between the plant and the cork.

• allymarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks very much for the info everyone.Whenever I repot my orchids now I use a mixture of aliflor and tree fern as my potting medium.It seems to last for a few years without me having to repot so often.

Allymarie

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Yes, it does seem to last forever.

Terpguy, I like mixing it with sphag when I pot Phals or Oncids which like to be kept a bit damp. My guess (I just eyeball) is about 10%. I mix it into dampened sphag. Keeps the sphag open.

Jane

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Have often used tree fern insted of cork over the years
    heck of a problem to transplant you have to butcher to get it out . I recently started a "Tree fern " forest okay not so much a forest as a group lol Have 5 species so far and can't wait to try various orchids on the living plants Anybody ever try that ? I suspect the tomentose fiber will hold too much water and they do shed but will be a fun experiment?? Been searching for the Florida native specie but have been unable to find it . Only specie native to the continental US . gary

• Boby Huffard
    10 years ago

We grew in 100% osmunda when I was a kid. We called it "fiber." It worked very well.