Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aurorawa

Confused about "anatomy"

aurorawa
9 years ago

Okay, this is probably a very silly question, but I am genuinely confused.
This is clearly a pseudobulb:

{{gwi:2118673}}

So, what are these growths that have no pseudobulbs? I don't think they are spikes, but I am most familiar with catt/dend/paph anatomy, so I may be wrong:

{{gwi:2118674}}

Here is another orchid. Again, first image is a pseudobulb (pardon the wrinkles, arrived as such), second is growth next to pseudobulb (I have confirmed it is same plant, repotted due to poor media):

{{gwi:2118675}}

{{gwi:2118676}}

If these are not spikes, do they develop pseudobulbs eventually? What are they?

Comments (8)

• aurorawa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I should add that the first plant is a pot, the second is an intergenetic oncidium.

• arthurm
    9 years ago

They all look like Oncidiums or Oncidium Intergenerics. The new growths before they make a pseudobulb are sometimes called leads.

Pot. is short for Potinara which is an Intergeneric type of "Cattleya". Named after a guy or gal called Potin and ara added to the end so you know it is named after a person.
    Now obsolete because guys called Taxonomists decided that Sophonitis are all Cattleyas.

• aurorawa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Arthurm! So these leads will eventually form pseudobulbs? It makes sense that they have more leaves, at first. I would think they would need them to collect more nutrients for storage in the eventual pseudobulb. Apologies, as I did misidentify the one orchid. It is my Miltassia 'Charles M. Fitch'. The pot tag was intertwined with the Milt tag (and I have been looking for a lost tag). The other is Bratonia Shelob 'Tolkien'.

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Perhaps you are confused about the use of quotes?
    Miltassia Charles M. Fitch was registered in 1961 by C M Fitch and the parents are Brassia verrucosa and Miltonia spectabilis. Every time this crossing is made the name applies and the thousands and thousands of seedlings produced will be all different.

Charles M. Fitch is the grex name and the bit in quotes might apply to plants with superior blooms.
    Examples:
    Miltassia Charles M. Fitch 'Orchidglade'
    Miltassia Charles M. Fitch 'Carmela'
    Miltassia Charles M. Fitch 'Aranbeem'
    Miltassia Charles M. Fitch 'No.1'
    Miltassia Charles M. Fitch 'No.2'
    Miltassia Charles M. Fitch 'Aurora'
    Miltassia Charles M. Fitch 'Aurora2'

The first three clone names (and many others) are informally reserved. So If you purchase a plant with the added bit in quotes that is part of the name and should not be altered.

• aurorawa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It came labeled as such, so it was not my error. It says:
    Mlt. 'Charles M. Fitch - Izumi'

Should I change it to
    Bratonia (since they changed that, as well...sheesh!) Charles M. Fitch 'Izumi'?

This post was edited by AuroraWA on Fri, Jan 16, 15 at 19:17

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Yes, change it to Bratonia Charles M. Fitch 'Izumi'. The University of google suggests that it was awarded AM/AOS and that is an indication of quality.

For now I'm not going to change the names on benching results. If someone benches their plant as a Miltassia, I'll accept that.

It is a pain. I maintain the Local Orchid Society's Photo pages on Flickr and hundreds of the photos there are wrongly labeled, I keep putting off the task of going through and fixing them all.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Yes, Aurora, those are your new growths. Hopefully, your next round of flowers. They form their bulbs as they mature.

Arthur, I don't know how you can handle all the name changes. I can't imagine the amount of work handling all the changes. Yikes, the paperwork must be enormous as is the research.

I couldn't do it. I give you a blue ribbon!!

Jane

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Hi Jane, most of the work is not involved in keeping up with name changes, it is trying to decipher the rubbish written on benching cards or on show entry forms.
    To most growers this name stuff is rocket science which is annoying because getting the names correct is part of the hobby.
    I notice that some of the new genera names are starting to appear on nursery lists.
    Never volunteer!